Talk

Advanced search

That it is the bus’ fault? - diagram!

(42 Posts)
Friedeggsandcustard Wed 13-Mar-19 13:59:14

If a bus hits your stationary car then it is the fault of the bus... not my fault for being “ near the centre of the road”?

Bus tried to push past turning left and clipped my car. I was sitting in a stationary queue (although the light was green). The bus probably wasn’t aware of a traffic island forcing me towards the left but just thought I was in his way?

Anyway I have complained to the bus company who say that “ as we were both moving” (I wasn’t!) they can’t be at fault...

There is minimal damage to the car so I don’t want to go down the insurance route but an apology for their twatty driver who just swore at me and drove off would be nice!

SnuggyBuggy Wed 13-Mar-19 14:36:06

For what it's worth YANBU but I doubt you'll get anywhere

DGRossetti Wed 13-Mar-19 14:49:07

Did the bus have cameras showing what happened ?

All the buses here have cameras all over - inside and out.

Raindancer411 Wed 13-Mar-19 14:52:26

Yes they should have camera footage that would back up your not moving. I would ask to see it

BruceAndNosh Wed 13-Mar-19 14:53:11

Is it not an offence to drive off after an accident or is that only if someone is hurt? (though if you drive off, you have no idea)

Spam88 Wed 13-Mar-19 14:55:14

No obviously if you're stationary then you're not at fault. I think it's pretty common for buses to have cameras now (although that is entirely based on watching lots of crime dramas).

GabriellaMontez Wed 13-Mar-19 14:56:01

Yanbu.

If you weren't moving it's not your fault.

M4J4 Wed 13-Mar-19 14:58:59

YANBU. does the bus have cameras?

marvellousnightforamooncup Wed 13-Mar-19 14:59:01

Complain to the bus company. They should have a dash cam.

Cuttingthegrass Wed 13-Mar-19 15:01:07

Definitely request photos from bus dash cam.

hiddeneverything Wed 13-Mar-19 15:02:11

Definitely not your fault. If you don't get any joy with the bus company contact police - the bus driver had a duty to provide you his information and certainly as a professional driver should not be shouting and swearing at you

Drogosnextwife Wed 13-Mar-19 15:04:17

Depends if you were over the line in the road. If the island was forcing you to be over the line then you should have waited until there was enough space to pass the island and not have to wait at the side of it. It you were on your side of the road then its the busses fault.

ideasofmarch Wed 13-Mar-19 15:20:58

The moving vehicle is at fault if it hits something stationary. In this case, you.

CuriousaboutSamphire Wed 13-Mar-19 15:21:16

“as we were both moving” (I wasn’t!) they can’t be at fault... Erm.... are they on crack?

The bus is behind you, it hit your car in the rear. It doesn't matter if you were moving, singing nursery rhymes, straddling both lanes and being a twat, they hit you! You did not reverse into them!

Why are you even talking to them?

JustBloodyCold Wed 13-Mar-19 15:22:47

If a bus forced past you when there wasn't room to do so, and you were not moving, then be definition the bus driver caused the accident. If he had been stationary he wouldn't have hit you. Drives do not have the right to force other drivers out of the way even if they are in the "wrong place", The bus driver is responsible.

GreenFingersWouldBeHandy Wed 13-Mar-19 15:23:13

How annoying. Glad you are OK.

If you were not moving it CANNOT BE YOUR FAULT!!!

Phone and report it to the police, get a ref number, then call the bus company back and request cam footage.

arethereanyleftatall Wed 13-Mar-19 15:29:14

Last year dh hit a stationary car (it was parked, albeit very stupidly) and the insurance companies decided 50/50. So it can happen.

WhenZogateSuperworm Wed 13-Mar-19 15:31:56

Even if you were moving if he came from behind and forced his way through a narrow lane it is his fault! You can’t deliberately hit someone and claim it was there fault for being in your way!

Toooldtocareanymore Wed 13-Mar-19 15:33:22

id be so annoyed at this, the refusal to admit they were wrong and pass it off as both your fault, even if you were moving if your hit from behind tehy are responsible, and id follow through, but I'm known for being arsey, so what if damage in minimal they did it they were in wrong and they need to fix it,

shockthemonkey Wed 13-Mar-19 15:36:51

Bus's fault.

Ask to see the cctv camera they all have on board. It shows all angles so there should be zero question about liability.

Mummyoflittledragon Wed 13-Mar-19 15:41:38

Unless you go through your insurance you probably won’t be able to access any camera footage. I think you’re a bit stuck with this. If you were definitely in your lane, perhaps you could rethink?

bettytaghetti Wed 13-Mar-19 15:41:43

arethereanyleftatall I think it's a bloody conspiracy between the insurance companies; if both parties are held at fault they get 2 lots of excess payments. I got hit in the back offside of my car by another car pulling in to my lane without checking, and somehow the insurance companies settled 50:50. Grr angry

hackmum Wed 13-Mar-19 15:41:56

Good diagram, OP.

oopslateagain Wed 13-Mar-19 15:57:26

I'd report it to your insurance company anyway, tbh. How sure are you that the bus company won't find damage on the bus, check the cctv, and put in a claim against you?

Friedeggsandcustard Wed 13-Mar-19 16:03:02

Its only a small scratch on a less than pristine 10 year old car. I don’t want to go to insurance ( which I think they are counting on) as the last time I claimed -in a non-fault incident- my premium went up.

I contact the bus company about it and it has taken them more than a month to come back with a series of stills from their camera which prove nothing!

its the principal of the thing...but I expect they are counting on me not pursuing it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »