Talk

Advanced search

To let toddler DS spend the whole day on the iPad?

(15 Posts)
WhenZogateSuperworm Wed 13-Mar-19 08:21:08

I’m 38 + 4 weeks pregnant and feeling awful. Hot and cold, feel sick and haven’t slept all night. On my own with 2 year old all day- please tell me a whole day on the iPad while I lie on the sofa isn’t the end of the whole and I won’t kill off his brain cells?

WishUponAStar88 Wed 13-Mar-19 08:25:06

It’s fine, do what you need to do! Does he usually nap though? If so he might not be tired enough later if he’s just sat on the sofa so maybe try to get him doing something else for an hour or so later - maybe even just dancing to music? All the best - being ill, heavily pregnant with a toddler is shit flowers

winsinbin Wed 13-Mar-19 08:26:49

I wouldn’t. It’ll give you peace and quiet for sure but you’ll pay for it in the future when they are screaming for it and don’t understand why they can’t have it.

Compromise with a day in front of the tv watching DVDs and surrounded by toys with a few minutes on the iPad now and again?

Incidentally, do you think your symptoms could indicate incipient labour? Whatever happens, good luck with it. flowers.

WhenZogateSuperworm Wed 13-Mar-19 08:27:41

He likes throwing and catching so will try get some physical activity in too. He will usually nap for 2 hours after lunch when I plan on going back to bed.

Dillydallyalltheway Wed 13-Mar-19 08:29:14

I think because of your circumstances and if it’s not something you would do very often, then it’s absolutely fine. I would personally explain to the little one that they are only allowed to do it as a special occasion for today as mummy is feeling poorly. Hope you feel better soon.

SamStephens Wed 13-Mar-19 08:30:59

I’d do it - you need the break. We do it occasionally for our 2yr old on long drives or if we’re desperate to distract her (I’ve a 2yr old and a 1yr old and am pregnant also so I get you!) it’ll be fine as a once off here and there, truly.

Drogosnextwife Wed 13-Mar-19 08:32:12

Go for it.

Purplepjs Wed 13-Mar-19 08:33:44

Of course it’s fine!! When I was pregnant with hyperemesis, my eldest regularly had to have days which broke all our rules! At this point it’s about making it through the day. You’ll likely have days like this when little one first arrives too. It’s just a phase. We’re now three months in and have re-established normal expectations! (Usually!!). Don’t sweat the small stuff and look after yourself....hope you feel better soon and little one arrived soon. Congratulations!! flowers

PhillipeFellope Wed 13-Mar-19 08:36:28

Do what you need to do, it's not going to do lasting harm, if your two year old is anything like mine then they won't sit still for too long anyway and will mess and play.

Can you amazon prime a couple of new toys to keep him interested in case he gets twitchy?

Good luck, hope you're feeling better soon, or giving birth! brewcakeflowers

Ruperbear Wed 13-Mar-19 08:57:48

Of course it is. Parenting is not set in stone. We do our best and that all we can do and you having a rest is important for you if you are not feeling well.
May I also suggest you get a midwife to check you over.
Best wishes

kmammamalto Wed 13-Mar-19 08:57:56

Do what you need to! I'm only ten weeks and have been so sick I've been glued to the sofa when not at work. My two year old has had iPad, new toys and I've ordered a tuff tray with new little diggers on Amazon prime! You can fill them with all sorts! 👍🏼
Also he likes to do 'running' which is me saying ready steady go and he runs loops round downstairs?! Can be done from lying down! 😁 good luck. You're doing great! The final stretch!

bullyingadvice2017 Wed 13-Mar-19 09:09:24

Just get thru the next few days in any way you can! (Hopefully it's days not weeks 😫)
This parenting lark is hard. I'm of the feeling most of us are just winging it anyway.

lau888 Wed 13-Mar-19 09:19:12

Of course, it's okay for a day when you are feeling sick! Load the iPad with interactive apps, so he's not just watching videos. Or, set up "interactive" videos like Sesame Street and that awful Dora the Explorer and encourage him to respond when the characters address the audience. Hope you feel better soon - and baby number 2 arrives promptly. x

3in4years Wed 13-Mar-19 09:34:09

No, not the whole day. Get outside for an hour, you'll both feel better for it. If you're not up to the park just go to the library or the supermarket. Or Sainsbury's cafe. Then come home, rest for an hour or two with the tv or iPad. Then play.
Soon there will be a newborn. You'll have more excuses to overuse the iPad. Don't go down that road. And he need quality time with you before the baby arrives.

my2bundles Wed 13-Mar-19 09:54:56

It's fine go for it. With my second I had many days like this towards the end. No lasting negative effects on my older children. Enjoy tne rest

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: