Talk

Advanced search

Boss being awkward because I have given in my notice at work

(173 Posts)
Clown74 Tue 12-Mar-19 23:07:30

Basically I have given in my 1 month notice at work and I have until March 22nd there (start new job March 25th).

Since I have given in my notice my Boss has changed towards me as in being really like having no patience around me, telling me I am too slow at my job (she has never in the 7 years I have been there said this to me), looking at me in a rude way, not saying good morning/bye or being chatty and she tells another work colleague to tell me when she wants something done (again she has never done this before).

AIBU to think that she is upset with me for leaving? I only have 1 and a half weeks left but to me it seems like she is micro managing me and watching my every move (not my imagination others have noticed this too)

What is the best way to handle this situation as obviously I don't want to cause any bad feelings before I leave?

Also must add the person before me that left my Boss wasn't in on his last day and got him nothing or wished him well for the future.

startalovetrain Tue 12-Mar-19 23:14:10

It sounds like your boss is pissed off that you're leaving.

It's a shitty attitude to deal with after 7 years but there's not much you can do. Hold your head high and count down the hours!

Congratulations on your new job smile

Fiveredbricks Tue 12-Mar-19 23:16:03

If someone has invested in you for 7 years then yes she probably pissed off. Also pissed she has to find a replacement. And Also pissed that replacement has to be trained up - again.

But... Your choice to leave whenever and companies have to suck it uo.

Fiveredbricks Tue 12-Mar-19 23:16:15

Suck it up*

Clown74 Tue 12-Mar-19 23:17:50

Yes thank you I agree she is pissed off that I am leaving but her attitude towards me for the past 2 weeks is terrible.

Every little thing I do is wrong and she tells another work colleague to tell me that I am too slow too (coming from my Boss if that makes sense). The work colleague she tells is the favourite though don't know if that matters though.

TheBreastmilksOnMe Tue 12-Mar-19 23:18:05

Agree with Fiveredbricks although it’s a tad unprofessional of her.

StillCoughingandLaughing Tue 12-Mar-19 23:18:19

It’s a shitty and childish way to behave. I had a boss years ago that used to do it; he took personal offence at anyone leaving.

The best thing you can do is let it set you free. Don’t work a minute later than your finish time, no matter how busy the office is. Take your full lunch each and every day and don’t rush back. Do the absolute best minimum. If he challenges you, tell him he’s free to begin disciplinary procedures - but is unlikely to get very far within eight working days.

TheBreastmilksOnMe Tue 12-Mar-19 23:18:45

Just hold your head high, it will soon be over.

StillCoughingandLaughing Tue 12-Mar-19 23:19:10

Bare minimum, not best!

KylieKoKo Tue 12-Mar-19 23:19:58

I think she sounds petty and immature. People leave jobs if you don't give them enough reason to stay. And 7 years is a very long time to stay in a job. Luckily for you she won't be your problem much longer.

AtrociousCircumstance Tue 12-Mar-19 23:20:13

Your boss is a childish fuckwit. Count the days, don’t react. Because who gives a shit anyway? You’re out of there. Pathetic behaviour.

Clown74 Tue 12-Mar-19 23:21:47

I did say to my Boss when I gave in my notice period that I will still be faithful to my job and will do my best as I have done up to now.

Last week when she was helping me do something she was shouting at me non-stop telling me I am too slow and was banging around me which I thought was very unprofessional of her.

Clown74 Tue 12-Mar-19 23:23:01

I be honest I have reacted twice to her childish behaviour I do know it was wrong though but my husband says to me don't react you don't have long left anyway.

Clown74 Tue 12-Mar-19 23:26:24

Also it annoys me that she can't tell me herself when she wants something done yet she tells the favourite to tell me from her when she wants something done.

RomanyQueen1 Tue 12-Mar-19 23:27:24

When she starts her silly games again, just tell her you leaving is nothing personal and if your work isn't up to scratch why has she waited for 7 years and you leaving to mention it.
just ask her in a professional manner and watch her squirm, what a daft cow she is.

Clown74 Tue 12-Mar-19 23:30:22

RomanyQueen1 - I love that answer and yes she is a daft cow LOL

CallMeRachel Tue 12-Mar-19 23:33:08

Just ask her if she's alright? In a head tilt kind of way...like okay you're acting a bit crazy and stressy boss, would you like to get something off your chest??

Has your reference been given yet?

Clown74 Tue 12-Mar-19 23:34:43

Yes my reference has already been given but not through my Boss through HR.

TeaForDad Tue 12-Mar-19 23:37:16

If she's being that much of a cow either call her on it, laugh at her, or go off sick for your last week. If you're now so rubbish, she won't miss you right

soulrunner Tue 12-Mar-19 23:39:46

Call in sick. I wouldn’t normally condone it and I’m all for leaving doors open but she sounds like she deserves it. Also, 7 years is ages. It’s not like you quit after 6 months.

Nickpan Tue 12-Mar-19 23:40:32

not a lot to do, I don't think you need any advice, other than just wait it out for the next few days. What other options do you think you might have - a meeting with HR about they're behaviour? They're bitter you're leaving, now just get on with stuff. Not long to go, eh?

Happynow001 Tue 12-Mar-19 23:45:07

The best thing you can do is let it set you free. Don’t work a minute later than your finish time, no matter how busy the office is.

This ^^. Don't let your boss's unprofessional behaviour bring you down to their level. Take a deep breath, carry on doing your best and count the days off as you get closer to your departure date.

Also it would be a shame if, after working there and doing a good job for seven years you got no leaving gift but just see that as confirmation that you are doing absolutely the right thing in moving on. Good luck for your new job! 🌹

AtrociousCircumstance Tue 12-Mar-19 23:47:17

I think you should mention this to HR. To safeguard future people in this situation and make her accountable.

‘Since I have handed in my notice, X has been bircanly critical and aggressive towards me. It is making my final days at the company unpleasant. I wouldn’t want anyone else to experience this kind of unprofessional aggression. She hasn’t had any problem at all with me or my work in the seven years I’ve been here. I would hate to leave the company with such a negative impression.’

AtrociousCircumstance Tue 12-Mar-19 23:47:48

‘Bircanly’ hmm should be ‘openly’ !

WarpedGalaxy Tue 12-Mar-19 23:54:49

She sounds very unprofessional but some bosses take it personally when people leave. Whatever. You have what? Eight working days to get through? You can do it.

Just work as you normally do, maintain a consistent pace and if she drags you again for slowness or is being nitpicky just say calmly that you don’t feel you’ve changed anything about your working practices so what does she think is a good way to address it in the short time you have left? Ask her if there are any specific performance issues she can point to because as far as you were aware your work has always been satisfactory up to now.

If it’s the go-between who’s passing on criticism, shut her down, tell her you don’t feel it’s appropriate for her to be talking to you about it, it’s not her place and that you’d prefer to discuss it with your boss and will be approaching her to do so.

Just keep your eyes on the prize - less than 2 weeks new job! Congrats!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »