Talk

Advanced search

Red Nose day plastic

(19 Posts)
Poppyputthekettleon Tue 12-Mar-19 21:04:02

I know it's a very important cause but the selling of one-use plastic noses seems so out of kilter with the push to reduce plastic waste. AIBU and are there any alternatives people are doing with their kids?

PonyoPonyo Tue 12-Mar-19 21:04:40

I've been wondering about this too

GrubbyHipsterBeard Tue 12-Mar-19 21:05:55

YANBU. Apparently some people are painting their noses red instead.

Fiveredbricks Tue 12-Mar-19 21:06:06

I dont get why its not bio degradable foam or something or the bamboo plastic they use for pet bowls that can be buried in the garden or composted

Noonooyou Tue 12-Mar-19 21:06:21

It makes me sad as a plastic red nose was my childhood!! But I agree about the waste!

Noonooyou Tue 12-Mar-19 21:06:46

I remember foam ones growing up too I'm sure?!

TropicPlunder Tue 12-Mar-19 21:07:11

They are selling comic relief metal pin badges. I bought one for my daughter, because she wanted something. Doesn't stop the nose problem though..... I heard some schools are banning them, and face painting red noses on kids for a donation

BabiesComeWithHats Tue 12-Mar-19 21:07:55

Had this exact same rant muttering conversation with DS in the supermarket the other day when he asked for one.

Even more annoyingly I suspect we've bought at least 1 set of 2 noses before now, but I think I threw them away as they were all sharing noses with their friends and had streaming colds and the germiness of it made me envy

Exexexcel Tue 12-Mar-19 21:09:06

Yep, I'm refusing to buy them this year. Making and buying cakes, sure. Paying a quid to wear mufti, no worries. Extra plastic tat, no thanks.

PrettyAmazingGrace Tue 12-Mar-19 21:13:48

We're face painting this year. If enough of us don't buy them, they might get the message and not produce all the plastic rubbish next year.

Poppyputthekettleon Tue 12-Mar-19 21:16:25

Glad I'm not the only one, painting noses seems like a good idea!

OnlyFoolsnMothers Tue 12-Mar-19 21:18:15

I remember foam ones one year...but they never stayed on a nose

Hersetta427 Wed 13-Mar-19 08:36:33

Our school has a note painting station for this Friday for £1 donations

Hersetta427 Wed 13-Mar-19 08:36:51

Nose not note !!!

livingthegoodlife Wed 13-Mar-19 09:15:44

I'm refusing to buy any plastic tat. I'll donate £1 per child for mufti and they also get their nose painted at school.

Stopandlook Wed 13-Mar-19 09:20:10

Agree, although my kids bought one with their pocket money and I allowed it because it was either that or some other bit of plastic tat (squishy etc).

BlackInk Wed 13-Mar-19 09:28:35

I had this conversation with DC last night too. We have red noses from previous years in the dressing up box that they could use or we could just paint their noses red and donate the cost of a nose... I'm not sure I managed to convince them.

There's quite a bit in the media about this. Lots of schools are discouraging plastic noses and David Attenborough has got on board with children campaigning against plastic tat for RND.

paxillin Wed 13-Mar-19 09:28:36

Sainsbury's have a squishy one that looks like it might survive a couple of years.

BabiesComeWithHats Thu 14-Mar-19 23:07:27

super impressed with our school - discouraging RN buying because of the plastic issue and the fact that apparently only 65p of the #1.25 goes to CR. They're also offering a recycling point at the end of the day to send any the kids to bring in back to Sainsburys afterwards, and doing face painting/wear something red/cake sale instead

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: