Talk

Advanced search

To be pissed off about my Easter egg

(76 Posts)
Houseonahill Tue 12-Mar-19 20:31:30

I feel like I'm being really petty so I'm ready to take it if I am but I bought an Easter egg on sunday afternoon, one of the medium sized ones for a fiver, and took it to work (in a pub) ate about a quarter of the egg and none on the chocolate bars that come with them and forgot it when I left. I went back in this afternoon, actually made a special trip just to get it, and someone has eaten it! They won't tell me who and all think it's really funny. I know it's just an Easter egg and in the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal but I'm on a tight budget and that was my treat for the week. Also I wouldn't dream of just eating something if it wasn't mine.

AIBU to be pissed off? My work friend thinks I am.

grincheux Tue 12-Mar-19 20:34:52

They nicked your treat, of course YANBU. And it's a bit mean for your work friend to find it funny. Makes me wonder what else they've pinched.

Aquilla Tue 12-Mar-19 22:36:11

Serves you right for eating Easter eggs before Easter Sunday 😉

kaytee87 Tue 12-Mar-19 22:37:50

Yanbu but you probably shouldn't have left it in work if it's such a special treat.

HeathRobinson Tue 12-Mar-19 22:41:28

YANBU. Greedy bastards.

Easterbunnyiscomingsoon Tue 12-Mar-19 22:43:34

B&M sell Easter eggs for cats /dogs- 'treat' yourself to a few. Take some in ASAP.
Stand back and smirk op.

Ontheboardwalk Tue 12-Mar-19 22:47:26

In my work place I could leave cash, phones, iPads, gold unattended and no one would touch them

Leave some chocolate unattended, for 2 days, and all bets are off I’m afraid. Did you have your name on it?

VelvetPineapple Tue 12-Mar-19 22:53:35

I’d be really annoyed and would report them just to make the pint that theft isn’t funny or acceptable. Would they take £5 from your purse? Because that’s basically what they’ve done.

Moanymoaner123 Tue 12-Mar-19 22:57:06

Love pps idea of getting dog chocolates for them to steal, they'd think twice about being so scummy next time.

SurgeHopper Tue 12-Mar-19 23:43:43

Dunno about this one

MyDcAreMarvel Tue 12-Mar-19 23:51:09

I doubt it occurred to them you would come back for it.

Mother87 Tue 12-Mar-19 23:57:15

Hmmm - 'unattended' chocolate... tricky this one... possibly 'victim blaming' but kind of asking for it to be nickedconfused

Nickpan Tue 12-Mar-19 23:58:39

them eggs are irresistible!
It was rotten of them, as easter eggs are special, but it was just the price of a pint. get another

Liverbird77 Wed 13-Mar-19 00:16:35

I disagree with the attitude that it was fair game. Unless someone says it is for everyone then it is stealing. It's just wrong, whether it is 10p or a million. It most certainly isn't funny.

ReanimatedSGB Wed 13-Mar-19 00:19:03

People might not have known whose it was and just considered it abandoned chocolate in need of a good home.
It is a bit mean of them to have not only eaten it but laughed at you for minding. Thing is though, some people really can't get their heads round the idea that anyone can be on such a tight budget that a supermarket chocolate egg is a major treat. It's 'only' cheap sweets to them.
I do sympathise.

FlagranceDirect Wed 13-Mar-19 00:19:30

YABU for spending a fiver on an Easter egg. You could get 4 times as much chocolate for the same price if you bought bars

PyongyangKipperbang Wed 13-Mar-19 00:24:55

IF you worked in my pub there would be hell to pay about it.

Anything left my staff or customers is locked in the office and if any of it went missing then I would be checking the CCTV and the staff member who took it would get a disciplinary.

Is your boss one of the ones who thinks its funny? Are they your direct employer or are you employed by the brewery?

Ihavealwaysknown Wed 13-Mar-19 00:25:17

Chocolate, cake and biscuits are all fair game in my work place I have learnt over the years. Leave an apple out and it’ll be there til it rots. In fact leave anything else out and it’ll be there until you go back for it!

I guess it depends on what normal etiquette is in your work place. I’d guess as they are all laughing it was likely a team steal, I’d chalk it down to experience

PyongyangKipperbang Wed 13-Mar-19 00:26:22

Appalled at how many people think that stealing at work is fine as long as the item stolen can be shovelled into a greedy gob.

PyongyangKipperbang Wed 13-Mar-19 00:28:10

it was just the price of a pint. get another

A) The OP said she is on a budget and it was her treat for the week
B) A fiver is a fucking expensive pint, its not that much in most places
C) Why the hell should she just "get another"?

RomanyQueen1 Wed 13-Mar-19 00:28:43

YABU to pay good money for an Easter egg whilst on a tight budget.
Huge bars of chocolate, absolutely humongous for £2.99
Unless they all new it was yours and did it for spite or a laugh or something.
Unattended choc doesn't stay there for long ime.

RomanyQueen1 Wed 13-Mar-19 00:32:13

Pyong

Is your pub very quiet it sounds soulless. Disciplinary for a bit of chocolate, bet you're loved grin

bridgetreilly Wed 13-Mar-19 00:34:03

I think YAB a bit U, tbh. I can easily imagine other staff coming in, seeing chocolate lying around and assuming it had been brought in to share. A pub isn't usually the kind of work environment where people have their own space - it's not like people taking it off your desk, or whatever. Next time, take your chocolate home with you!

snitzelvoncrumb Wed 13-Mar-19 00:34:37

Years ago I worked in an office, there was a snack thief, if anything good was left in the fridge it would disappear. One day there was screaming from the staff room, someone had put a tampon in the middle of a pie, and our snack thief was caught. It stopped after that.

PyongyangKipperbang Wed 13-Mar-19 00:35:32

Nope, very busy thank you smile

And the reason I have a very low staff turnonver, especially compared to most in the business, is because I will not allow theft to happen on the basis that "Its only chocolate, get over it".

Theft is theft. If I allow theft of a chocolate bar to go unchecked then it becomes a pint to their mates, then it becomes several pints, then it becomes cash.

Ive seen it happen and I wont allow it to happen in my place.

HAppy staff, happy customers.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »