Advanced search

To be worried about my passport

(33 Posts)
WantRapunzelLocks Tue 12-Mar-19 20:28:39

Anyone else worried that they won't be able to travel on their current passport? I'm going away in April and in May and all this passport talk is confusing me.

Anyone else traveling and in the same boat?

WantRapunzelLocks Tue 12-Mar-19 21:09:42

Ok so my holidays in April and May this year should be fine then. Christ, would be easier to stay home

DownRightAmazing Tue 12-Mar-19 21:10:49

The articles might not explain it well but the government website does. This took is all you need - you put in your passport details and which country you are travelling to and it will tell you if you are ok (which from the sound of it you are). We might well delay until after May anyway so probably a moot point for you.

dementedpixie Tue 12-Mar-19 21:12:32

I've done 3 renewals this week as they expire this year (July, September and October). Hope they don't take too long. They were all done online with uploaded photos from my phone

Fatted Tue 12-Mar-19 21:17:13

Urgh. Mine had extra months added on because I renewed early. Need to renew mine next year now. hmm

WantRapunzelLocks Tue 12-Mar-19 21:18:59

@DownRightAmazing fab! I used that and it says I'm fine

DownRightAmazing Tue 12-Mar-19 21:20:03

Great! Enjoy your hols 😘

Fluffyears Tue 12-Mar-19 21:25:12

Ah so I can renew early but won’t get the extra months added. What a faff!

scaryteacher Tue 12-Mar-19 22:48:40

According to the draft legislation , the EU states three months needed from the date you leave the member state.

The entry checks on UK nationals will include verification of:
- the possession of a valid travel document for crossing the border; *the document needs to have a validity of no more than ten years, and shall be still valid for three months after the intended departure from the Member States*;
Please note that UK national passports issued prior to the withdrawal date remain valid travel documents.
- the duration of the stay:
- for short stays in the Schengen area, UK nationals will be subject to limitations as regards the authorised duration of stay within the Schengen area (with a maximum of 90 days in a 180-day period);
- for long stays, they will in principle require a residence permit or long stay visa issued by national authorities, under the national rules;
- relevant databases with a view to verify:
- the identity and the nationality of the third-country national and of the authenticity and validity of the travel document for crossing the border,

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »