Talk

Advanced search

Estate agent and photos

(17 Posts)
OdeToDiazepam Tue 12-Mar-19 20:24:04

I'm leaving my rented property next month and next week an estate agent wants to come to my house to take photographs and do a layout drawing or something like that.

The problem is I moved here fleeing from domestic violence with my children. My ex mustn't know where we live and I'm worried that photos posted online would include my furniture and possessions that could be recognised by him or his friends/family.

Aibu to be worried about this? Not sure if it's my fear of my ex causing me to think it's a risk when maybe it's not?
Do I have any rights?

DustyDoorframes Tue 12-Mar-19 20:36:49

You do have rights! You can refuse to allow them to take pictures, or in fact to even come in. Whatever your tenancy says. Shelter are good on this - have a look at their site or give them a ring.
To be honest- they are trying it on!!
Congratulations on making the move!

HarrysOwl Tue 12-Mar-19 20:41:05

To be honest- they are trying it on!!

They're doing their job, not 'trying it on' hmm

OP you should explain this to your landlord and estate agent and see if you can reach a compromise; you have your right to privacy but the landlord has a right to advertise the property too.

Handsfull13 Tue 12-Mar-19 20:50:16

They doing they're job but you can explain your situation and come to an agreement.
Hopefully they'll understand and either use old pictures or wait til you've moved out.

Princessmushroom Tue 12-Mar-19 21:11:22

Tell them. They can do the drawings and they can have a photo of the front of the house. I consider visiting Rightmove a hobby and have seen plenty ads like this.

OnlyFoolsnMothers Tue 12-Mar-19 21:14:10

Tell them- they will likely have pictures from when you rented it they could use (assuming same agent)

ThereIsNoSuchThingAsRoadTax Tue 12-Mar-19 21:18:50

you have your right to privacy but the landlord has a right to advertise the property too.

The tenants right is more important. OP, as a PP said, you can refuse any entry (except in an emergency). It is irrelevant whether your contract says you may allow access for marketing and viewings. A contract does not override legal rights.

turncloak Tue 12-Mar-19 21:19:59

Are you sure they're planning on taking internal photos? I work at an estate agents and we never take internal shots of rental properties, just exterior shots and a floor plan.

LittleOwl153 Tue 12-Mar-19 21:24:27

You do not have to allow them entry.
No matter who says what, what your contract says or anything else. That is the bottom line.

Obviously you would want to help them if you can, but you cannot do so if by doing so you would be putting your family at risk. I would,d contact the estate agent, explain the issue - you do not need to go I to details, just say what you have said here. Tell them you will only allow them access on the condition that they do not take photographs of the inside of the property where your furniture is. So perhaps bathroom / kitchen are ok? Dependant on the layout of the property. Maybe the garden? If you do not think they will respect your wishes then do it allow them in. If you dont think you would be strong enough to challenge them have someone with you if you do decide go allow them in. Don't let them take the pics though as once they have taken them you will, have a hard time stopping them from using them. Dont agree to them accessing the property whilst you are not there. Speak to the head of the agency if necessary.

AliceLiddel Tue 12-Mar-19 21:27:09

i would just explain this to them. its an extremely valid reason and the safety of your children is not worth pleasing an agent.

TrixieFranklin Tue 12-Mar-19 21:28:30

Ask them to use 'Elements Property Services' to photoshop all your stuff out.

Kamma89 Tue 12-Mar-19 21:39:25

Tell them you do not want any internal photographs taken whole your possessions are in situ. You don't have to tell them why but it would probably help minimise any lettings agency bullshit/blowback.

Your home. Your rights. Your wishes in this case take precedence

OdeToDiazepam Tue 12-Mar-19 21:40:22

They said internal photos of the rooms
I asked if they would be posted online and they said they could just do rooms I'm happy with but all of my rooms except the bathroom have recognisable furniture and belongings in so what should I do

OdeToDiazepam Tue 12-Mar-19 21:41:09

Thank you ill call tomorrow and hopefully it's ok

RandomMess Tue 12-Mar-19 22:05:23

Just day no, it is within your rights to do so and you absolutely must protect yourselves first and foremost thanks

Barrenfieldoffucks Tue 12-Mar-19 22:07:16

He doesn't have a right to advertise it with internal photos at this stage

thedisorganisedmum Tue 12-Mar-19 22:20:54

Tell him no, and ask him to use the photos from last time

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: