Talk

Advanced search

To think I may have a concussion?

(20 Posts)
loopy09 Tue 12-Mar-19 19:52:33

So today I went out for my friend’s birthday with my two friends. We were just leaving a coffee shop and went over to her car which is a two door car.

It was raining outside and so I had my hood up and as I was getting in, I miscalculated the height and banged my head against the top of the car. I had sudden pain that just overwhelmed my head completely. Since that happened, we had returned to my friends house for a catch up and to celebrate her birthday, and I noticed I was a little quiet and distance with my friends because I think I was partly in shock and partly in pain. It eased off after about an hour and I was back to normal, pain was gone but it was quite tender to touch.

Since I’ve been home, and for the past 45 mins, I’ve had excruciating pain in my head. Like a really really bad headache that you can’t shift, and it also feels a little heavy. I was talking to DP and I was aware of mispronouncing words or using the wrong word for something then almost having a mind block and trying to figure out that certain word. I’ve had a cold for the last few days as well and finally it’s clearing but I feel quite nauseous which I didn’t feel before with it. I also feel a little spaced out. I’ve taken ibuprofen for the pain.

AIBU to be worried that it may be more serious than just a headache?

ThatssomebadhatHarry Tue 12-Mar-19 20:13:03

Yanbu based on NHS guidelines it does sound like a concussion. You should phone 111 though we cannot give medical advice.

TheoriginalLEM Tue 12-Mar-19 20:17:07

Ffs go to hospital

loopy09 Tue 12-Mar-19 20:19:53

Thank you so much for replying! I was just a bit worried because I don’t want to waste their time if it was just a headache. I’m going to call 111 now and see what they say

bobstersmum Tue 12-Mar-19 20:24:29

Go to be seen! Have you any visible bump? I had a patient smash a cup over my head once at work and I literally saw stars. I do remember the hospital saying I had concussion but they said a visible bump is a good sign.

loopy09 Tue 12-Mar-19 20:28:39

I’m so sorry that happened to you, bobstersmum! I do have a visible bump in my hair line which is really tender

Babyfoal Tue 12-Mar-19 20:30:35

Go to a and e. Now.

LuckyLou7 Tue 12-Mar-19 20:32:56

Get checked out in A&E. 111 will tell you to go there anyway, I would have thought.

Haggisfish Tue 12-Mar-19 20:33:49

I agree. A and e.

BeautyWasTheBeast Tue 12-Mar-19 20:38:39

Go to a&e...you can't be too careful with head injuries especially if you have a change in behaviour after or are speaking differently.
My DD ended up been air lifted to a bigger hospital for a brain scan because she bumped her head and 6 hours later was sick.

bobstersmum Tue 12-Mar-19 20:47:14

Beauty, wow I bet that was scary! I know someone who's 6 month old rolled off the bed and then started being sick, the hospital definitely didn't scan her but they did say it was concussion, doesn't medical care vary!

flyings0l0 Tue 12-Mar-19 20:55:56

get seen. Ex had similar symptoms after a bump and had CT scan the same night as they were concerned about a brain bleed. don't mess with head injuries!

LeekMunchingSheepShagger Tue 12-Mar-19 21:15:21

Please just go straight to a&e.

loopy09 Tue 12-Mar-19 21:55:16

I’m at A&E now, just waiting to be seen. Thanks everyone!

amymel2016 Tue 12-Mar-19 21:58:44

Hope you’re ok OP

littleoralot Tue 12-Mar-19 22:01:45

Hope you're ok OP

Quartz2208 Tue 12-Mar-19 22:02:09

Yes def a concussion

DD had something similar with bump top head and she had concussion

Haggisfish Tue 12-Mar-19 23:11:05

You’ll feel better for the reassurance. Hope it’s not too long a wait.

TinklyLittleLaugh Tue 12-Mar-19 23:31:15

Ibuprofen is not a good idea with head injuries as it can exacerbate a bleed.

loopy09 Wed 13-Mar-19 14:13:05

Hi everyone, OP here.

Went to A&E last night, had some tests done and diagnosed with a mild concussion. The doctor was happy with me to return home and sent me on my way with a leaflet and advice in case it gets worse.

Been told to rest for the next few days so I’m catching up with some tv with a bag of frozen pees on my head.

Thanks everyone wine

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: