Talk

Advanced search

We didn't refer to male PMs as 'Mr Whatever' so why does everyone keep calling May 'Mrs May'?

(43 Posts)
bakedstrawberry Tue 12-Mar-19 19:03:53

I find it jarring.

araiwa Tue 12-Mar-19 19:06:05

Do they?

Never heard it

MissionItsPossible Tue 12-Mar-19 19:08:01

I noticed this and thought it was just me. Was Margaret referred to as Mrs Thatcher, I wonder?

starabara Tue 12-Mar-19 19:08:20

We did refer to them as Mr Blair etc?

HorseDoorBolted Tue 12-Mar-19 19:08:56

They do. Dave was called Mr Cameron lots.

But agree it’s more frequent, noticeable and jarring with May.

Alsohuman Tue 12-Mar-19 19:09:22

Margaret was always Mrs Thatcher. Until she went to the Lords.

M4J4 Tue 12-Mar-19 19:09:45

Yep, David Cameron was never Mr Cameron.

Maybe they want to make her sound twee.

starabara Tue 12-Mar-19 19:10:51

I think it’s only more noticable because she is currently being held as a lone wolf out on a limb.... the press are driving home the point of her as an isolated individual, hence more referral about “her” rather than “the government”.

starabara Tue 12-Mar-19 19:12:02

@M4J4

Of course they did!

starabara Tue 12-Mar-19 19:12:33

Just googling shows demonstrated press clippings.

IdblowJonSnow Tue 12-Mar-19 19:14:18

I can recall former male PMs being called Mr Whoever. Maybe it's partly because her surname is short so it gets added? Also think just calling someone by their surname only a bit rude irrespective of female/male.

M4J4 Tue 12-Mar-19 19:15:21

@starabara those articles are a month old, he's not PM anymore

LizzieBananas Tue 12-Mar-19 19:15:31

It’s makes sentences easier, prevents confusion with the month/word meaning might: eg

May deal to receive assent

PM May face legal challenge.

Grace212 Tue 12-Mar-19 19:16:25

I know what you mean OP

I noticed as soon as she became PM

I don't recall a male PM being referred to as "Mr Grace" quite so often. I'm not sure if it was that they were more likely to be called FirstName+Surname or PM Surname or just Surname?

can't rely on my memory at all grin

stillpinching Tue 12-Mar-19 19:17:11

All manner of male political types are referred to as Mr xxxx. Whatever else would they be called? What would you like her to be referred to as?? FFS...

bakedstrawberry Tue 12-Mar-19 19:17:18

I remember the PMs being called either FIRSTSURNAME or just SURNAME

SaucyJack Tue 12-Mar-19 19:17:37

TBF may is a word with a few meanings, so it possibly needs Mrs/Theresa sticking in front of it in some sentences to make it the meaning clear.

Cameron/Thatcher/Blair are all obviously the PM names when you read the m.

stillpinching Tue 12-Mar-19 19:18:35

Just surname, for either sex, would sound rude and aggressive. Pretty sure I've never heard that...

Akire Tue 12-Mar-19 19:19:59

On LBC radio one presenter calls her MS May as in she is like silly not conforming young woman going with MS not Miss. she is MRS anyway.

stillpinching Tue 12-Mar-19 19:20:59

On a news report it would begin " the prime minister Tony Blair has ...". Then later in the report it would continue "Mr Blair said the waiting times would be measured by...". I'm sure it's the same now.

HorseDoorBolted Tue 12-Mar-19 19:34:25

On LBC radio one presenter calls her MS May as in she is like silly not conforming young woman going with MS not Miss. she is MRS anyway

Wowser. I’m a 47 year old barrister who prefers to not be classified by her marital status. Or silly not conforming woman as you put it...

formerbabe Tue 12-Mar-19 19:36:37

I'm sure David Cameron was called Mr Cameron lots by the media.

SchnitzelVonKrumm Tue 12-Mar-19 19:43:06

It's her preferred form of address, as with Mrs Thatcher. See her apology after addressing Emily Thornberry by her husband's surname and courtesy title, which Thornberry has not ever used.

SchnitzelVonKrumm Tue 12-Mar-19 19:46:59

And male PMs were indeed Mr Cameron, Mr Blair etc

MillytantForceit Tue 12-Mar-19 19:50:47

The correct form is (Honorific) + (Surname) comma The Prime Minster.

The incorrect form is Prime Minister (Surname) because that implies there are lot of them.

There is only ever one Prime Minister, and you do not keep the title.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: