Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to ask for your typical meal plan for the week?

(52 Posts)
7Pip Tue 12-Mar-19 18:40:07

Particularly if you live alone. I'm going to be alone for 2 weeks shortly, and am not sure what to cook for one without wasting food, repeating dishes daily or ending up not cooking anything healthy at all!

FrancesFryer Tue 12-Mar-19 18:44:37

How many do you cook for at the moment? Could you cook am extra portion and freeze it between now and when you're coming for 1?

Jeffjefftyjeff Tue 12-Mar-19 18:46:22

If I’m alone for long periods, i eat lots of things I don’t get a chance to normally. Tend to get salad bits that could also be cooked and use them for various meals. salmon (those pre cooked fillets you can get) with new potatoes and bit salad; couscous salad; stir fry with ‘straight to wok’ noodles added right at the end; risotto (faff to do that for one I know but never eat it otherwise!)

mbosnz Tue 12-Mar-19 18:47:48

7pip, just thinking that maybe the ready to cook stirfries that the supermarkets have could be good? Where you pick your pre-prepped protein, noodles or rice, sauce and pre-chopped stirfry veges?

And a cooked chook, with salad, corn and spuddies?

How about a tuna steak, lightly seared, with new potatoes and seasonal veges?

Ditto a steak?

7Pip Tue 12-Mar-19 18:49:30

I've drawn up a meal plan. Only meat I'm buying is stewing beef and pork chops. 1 loaf of bread. 6 eggs. Fruit is only bananas. Veg are carrots, onions, lettuce, tomatoes, green pepper, potatoes, courgette (sliced and frozen), tinned plum tomatoes. Other: Hummus, cheese.

Toast & Tea (have butter & marmalade or otherwise tomatoes or cheese on toast)
Omelette (courgette, tomato, cheese, onion, ham)
Beef stew

Toast & Tea
Beef stew
Hummus & carrot sticks

Banana & coffee
Ham & tomato sandwich
Hummus & carrot

Banana & coffee
Pork chop with dressed side sald
Fridge raiders (chicken goujon things)

Toast & Tea
Omelette same recipe as above
Hummus & carrot/green pepper
Bake home-made soda bread

Banana & Coffe
Pork chop & tinned tomato & side salad
Hummus & pepper

Toast & Tea
Beef stew
Hummus & pepper

If I'm hungry outside of this, I have bananas, bread, ham, cheese etc.

Seem ok to you - without spending/wasting too much (not a massive eater really).

7Pip Tue 12-Mar-19 18:51:26

Normally cook for 4 (2 adults, 1 teenager, 1 child)

ijustneedagoodshake Tue 12-Mar-19 18:54:08

Cook a few meals you enjoy and freeze them?

I do this all the time.

I batch cook and freeze in single portions

formerbabe Tue 12-Mar-19 18:54:15

Banana & coffee
Ham & tomato sandwich
Hummus & carrot

Bloody hell, no wonder I'm fat...I'd be starving on that.

7Pip Tue 12-Mar-19 18:54:48

Our freezer is small, so not a lot of space for batch cooking. (plus I need to clear out all the crap that is in there for the past year and will never be used hmm )
I don't have a massive appetite, so a steak would easily do me two meals (and would prefer to eat if freshly cooked).

ijustneedagoodshake Tue 12-Mar-19 18:55:27

Typically

Turkey mince chilli
Curries
Spag Bol
Corned beef hash

Or cook a dinner and have the remainder for lunch the next day

7Pip Tue 12-Mar-19 18:56:23

Day 3 looks a bit tight alright. Probably because I'll have a bottle of wine on the Wednesday lol!

7Pip Tue 12-Mar-19 18:57:58

I should say that my cooking is pretty shit all in all. Can figure out a chicken curry from a jar lol. Not fond of beef mince, so turkey mince is a good idea!

TheBreastmilksOnMe Tue 12-Mar-19 18:58:08

I have overnight oats for breakfast made with muesli, frozen berries, grated apple and yogurt.

Lunches are pasta, rice, potatoes with salad and tinned fish, ham or beef slices or soup or sandwiches.

Dinners are lentil and aubergine bakes, pizzas, cottage pie, shepherds pie, chips, veg and meat etc. I just use less quantities.

JaceLancs Tue 12-Mar-19 18:59:40

If I’m on my own I do quick stuff
For example
Prawn or salmon salad
Omelette
Stir fry
Fish microwaved with steamed veg
Jacket sweet potato with tuna mayo or beans and cheese
Something grilled such as a chop piece of chicken grill steak with veg
Steak with a nice sauce and veg
I either steam or microwave fresh veg, sometimes buy microwave steam in bag or tub veg if cheap
Tray bake of Mediterranean veg with some kind of meat
Gammon egg mushrooms

7Pip Tue 12-Mar-19 18:59:42

I was limited in that I was ordering from Morrisons, I usually buy things like frozen salmon steaks from Lidl (much cheaper than fresh from Morrisons), but won't probably get there between now and Sunday. Was just trying to organise myself!

ijustneedagoodshake Tue 12-Mar-19 19:03:21

We do a nice salmon with sliced up chorizo, tin of chopped tomatoes and a jar of their sweet chilli.

Just add all in and bake in the oven for half an hour. Freezes well.

You can't fuck it up grin

7Pip Tue 12-Mar-19 19:03:58

I've never cooked corned beef hash. Trying not to be eating red meat too often (though it is my favourite).
There's a lot to be said for economies to scale!

ijustneedagoodshake Tue 12-Mar-19 19:04:32

I do chicken tonight and add the potatoes when cooked then freeze. Works well.

7Pip Tue 12-Mar-19 19:04:55

Oh if there's a way to fuck something up, I'll find it lol

ijustneedagoodshake Tue 12-Mar-19 19:05:34

Tbf you can't fuck that up either. It's just mash and corned beef. It freezes fine.

I have it with processed peas it's my ultimate. Winter comfort food

7Pip Tue 12-Mar-19 19:06:04

Good ideas. Well, I'll bare it in mind for next week's shop.

ijustneedagoodshake Tue 12-Mar-19 19:07:19

I lived on yoghurt and cheese and crackers when I lived alone. Your miles ahead of me.

I did buy the simply cook stuff though not long ago. They send you the spices,
And a recipe card. You just add the rest. They freeze good too.

7Pip Tue 12-Mar-19 19:08:42

I bought mushy peas too and chicken kievs and chicken goujons, as sometimes I can be hungry in the evenings (was hoping to use the ham/tomato/cheese form sambos in the evenings in the event of a fit of hunger!). I'm lazy about cooking veg from scratch, was going to buy bacon/cabbage/turnip, but then I'd have too much food here for too long and probably end up not using half.

mbosnz Tue 12-Mar-19 19:09:13

LOL 7pip, I remember when DH travelled for a month, and I swear, I set the smoke alarm off every day doing the damned toast. . . kids would yell out when it went off 'Muuuuuum, the toast is done'!

Or the time I got distracted (DH travelling again) and I managed to weld a steak so firmly to a non-stick fry pan that even the predators in the garden where I ran the damned pan out to, couldn't detach it. Girls and I in hopeless fits of giggles again.

I'm actually not (normally) that bad a cook. . .

HaudYerWheeshtYaWeeBellend Tue 12-Mar-19 19:12:05

Are you underweight and malnourished OP, as frankly that diet is quite bad.

Is this an average week for you?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »