Talk

Advanced search

To think horse racing is cruel?

(182 Posts)
alwaysncxx Tue 12-Mar-19 17:53:13

Got very upset watching some of the horses fall today at Cheltenham sad

I can't help but feel sad when it happens.

bridgetreilly Tue 12-Mar-19 18:00:12

Yes, YABU.

If a horse doesn't want to race, it doesn't. It's big enough and strong enough to refuse.

alwaysncxx Tue 12-Mar-19 18:04:04

@bridgetreilly sad

Whatsforu Tue 12-Mar-19 18:05:24

Why were you watching Cheltenham if you think it is cruel?

ILoveMaxiBondi Tue 12-Mar-19 18:05:59

It’s definitely cruel.

It's big enough and strong enough to refuse.

hmm yes because large animals are never forced to do things against their will.

alwaysncxx Tue 12-Mar-19 18:07:03

@Whatsforu DPs had it on when I was visiting

sonlypuppyfat Tue 12-Mar-19 18:07:23

My husbands been carrying big sheets of metal about all day , is that cruel too?

alwaysncxx Tue 12-Mar-19 18:07:42

@ILoveMaxiBondi I think it is cruel too.

Many people say it isn't but I don't see how

PatientPatience Tue 12-Mar-19 18:07:56

I think many things that humans 'use' animals for might be considered by some to be cruel. Horse-racing is no crueller than farming, for instance. Welfare standards in the horse-racing industry are stringent, but I can see why vegans, for example, would be against it. I would find it rather naive of someone who ate meat or dairy products to single out horse-racing as particularly cruel.

Mindfullness Tue 12-Mar-19 18:08:18

Brigdetreilly - seriously? The falls, the overuse on their joints all for our entertainment and money. It is very cruel #fact

JessicaWakefieldSVH Tue 12-Mar-19 18:08:31

If a horse doesn't want to race, it doesn't. It's big enough and strong enough to refuse.

That is one of the stupidest things I’ve seen on these boards. They have no choice.

YANBU it is awful and that’s why I don’t watch it.

alwaysncxx Tue 12-Mar-19 18:08:58

@sonlypuppyfat your husband has a voice and chooses to do that, no?

These horses can't speak for themselves and don't choose to race.

WorraLiberty Tue 12-Mar-19 18:09:11

Yes it's cruel.

It's not about whether animals 'want to' race or not.

It's about them not knowing the risks, while they're making hundreds of thousands of pounds for humans.

They're dumb animals (in the nicest possible way), who obviously can't think like humans can.

DeepDarkWoods Tue 12-Mar-19 18:09:28

Yes it is cruel, they run because it's instinct to stay with the herd. They have no choice.

alwaysncxx Tue 12-Mar-19 18:09:34

@PatientPatience it's why I don't eat meat

Mindfullness Tue 12-Mar-19 18:09:46

Sonlypuppyfat - hardly the same thing. Your husband "chooses" to do it, the horse doesn't!!

ILoveMaxiBondi Tue 12-Mar-19 18:10:05

My husbands been carrying big sheets of metal about all day , is that cruel too?

Possibly. Is he being forced to do it through fear of violence or being sacked or as a punishment for not reaching an employment target?

AnnaFiveTowns Tue 12-Mar-19 18:10:30

Yes, it's cruel. The whole racing industry is cruel. But there'll be plenty on here soon telling you the horses love it 😞

WorraLiberty Tue 12-Mar-19 18:11:26

Yeah fair play to Sonlypuppyfat's DH

I'm sure he's at risk of being put to sleep if he doesn't make himself useful with those metal sheets.

ILoveMaxiBondi Tue 12-Mar-19 18:11:39

Riders can be penalised for overuse of their whip. That penalty exists for a reason (it’s because the whip hurts)

slipperywhensparticus Tue 12-Mar-19 18:11:59

If he breaks a leg will they put him down?

JessicaWakefieldSVH Tue 12-Mar-19 18:12:39

Anyone seen a horse being broken in? I have many times, it’s pretty grim.

alwaysncxx Tue 12-Mar-19 18:12:38

@WorraLiberty exactly. If these horses fall they're at serious risk and are often euthanised.

For the sake of what? Seriously it's awful

7Pip Tue 12-Mar-19 18:12:41

I think on the whole horses enjoy racing. Cheltenham is a particularly lethal one though.
Who won btw?

Whatsforu Tue 12-Mar-19 18:13:24

Not much of a visit then if your DP was watching Cheltenham!!! Don't engage or watch it. One things for sure racing will never in a million years be eradicated.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »