Talk

Advanced search

Man doing my pedicure

(280 Posts)
eyesbiggerthanstomach Tue 12-Mar-19 16:24:53

I'm having a rubbish day so maybe am being super sensitive but not sure. There is a nail bar I regularly go to. A few men work there but it's mainly women. Usually one of the women does my pedicure. I have had one or two of the men do it in the past too.

Anyway, am currently getting one done by a man and I'm feeling really uncomfortable. I can't explain why. Maybe because he is slow and so every touch feels like it's lasting ages but I'm not enjoying it.

Is it unreasonable to specify a woman does it in future?

waterlego Thu 14-Mar-19 19:37:57

And it doesn’t need to be explained, justified or apologised for.

Weetabixandshreddies Thu 14-Mar-19 23:15:47

Are you in an occupation where you touch people’s bodies for extended periods of time? I have been and I get it, and I was never offended.

I have been, yes. Nursing on a male urological ward - very intimate care including catheterising men. No one ever objected, although there were so few male nurses, and even fewer qualified to do what we did that I don't know what would have happened had a man objected.

And I'm not conflating protected characteristics. If it's ok to refuse someone on the basis of their sex, because you have a personal reason for doing so, why could you not have an equally personal reason for refusing on other grounds too?

I understand that, particularly as a customer, you have the choice over who touches you or not. No one is going to force you to have a pedicure against your will. I'm just wondering at the legal position if someone were to make their reasons clear.

itsbritneybiatches Thu 14-Mar-19 23:53:41

If I'm being touched then I respect the right to be touched by who I am comfortable with.
Male female, not sure, non defined.

Whatever they identify with - who cares. But if they are touching me, I respect the right to decline or accept that.

WhyTho Fri 15-Mar-19 01:24:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Crunchycrunchycrunchy Fri 15-Mar-19 07:23:38

that's fine but you need to tell them? You could've swapped with your OH?

I'm replying to this mega late but in this instance I couldn't, as he was called in about 10 mins before me, otherwise I would have

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »