Talk

Advanced search

Man doing my pedicure

(280 Posts)
eyesbiggerthanstomach Tue 12-Mar-19 16:24:53

I'm having a rubbish day so maybe am being super sensitive but not sure. There is a nail bar I regularly go to. A few men work there but it's mainly women. Usually one of the women does my pedicure. I have had one or two of the men do it in the past too.

Anyway, am currently getting one done by a man and I'm feeling really uncomfortable. I can't explain why. Maybe because he is slow and so every touch feels like it's lasting ages but I'm not enjoying it.

Is it unreasonable to specify a woman does it in future?

Littleraindrop15 Tue 12-Mar-19 16:26:26

biscuit

Ragwort Tue 12-Mar-19 16:31:35

No, I agree with you, I wouldn't like a man doing my pedicure and I don't feel you should have to explain why.
Whenever I have had a beauty treatment (rare grin) I have been asked if I would be happy to have a man or woman beautician.

Bluestitch Tue 12-Mar-19 16:33:00

No I wouldn't like it either, I would only have beauty treatments, massage etc done by a woman.

crisscrosscranky Tue 12-Mar-19 16:33:15

I prefer the man at my local salon- he's 'harder' than the women! grin

NameChangeNugget Tue 12-Mar-19 16:33:30

biscuit

SummerHouse Tue 12-Mar-19 16:35:45

What's with all the biscuits? No I don't think that's unreasonable.

Bellasorellaa Tue 12-Mar-19 16:35:46

been getting my nails and feet done for years i dont see the problem
trust me op he doesnt fancy you

eyesbiggerthanstomach Tue 12-Mar-19 16:38:53

Okay so I don't understand what the biscuits mean. Does it mean chill out?

@Bellasorellaa I don't think he fancies me! I'm just uncomfortable with the touch. I dunno maybe he was inexperienced which is why it took ages and felt uncomfortable.

eyesbiggerthanstomach Tue 12-Mar-19 16:39:59

It's fairly empty so he is currently sat peeling a potato while my nails dry.

Maybe he is just odd generally.

Ragwort Tue 12-Mar-19 17:46:20

I'm sure the OP doesn't think he 'fancies her' hmm but if you are paying for a personal treatment then I think you have the right to ask for a woman, or a man, if you prefer.

And the fact he is peeling a potato sounds he is not at all professional.

bridgetreilly Tue 12-Mar-19 17:47:52

Yes, YABU. So long as he does a good job, it does not matter whether he's male or female.

iklboo Tue 12-Mar-19 17:48:52

Peeling a potato? Is he practicing removing hard skin? 🤢

Livedandlearned Tue 12-Mar-19 17:50:34

He's probably planning on doing a shepherds pie for tea.

DietriotukMN Tue 12-Mar-19 17:52:06

You're being a bit sexist if you request that to be honest. Unless you rock up wearing a miniskirt and no knickers why would you worry about it being a man. Everyone needs employment after all.

Sinead100 Tue 12-Mar-19 17:55:40

Some of the best mani - pedis I've had have been by a gent confused

teyem Tue 12-Mar-19 17:56:13

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

anniehm Tue 12-Mar-19 17:58:03

No, not reasonable. Men are just as capable as women though if this particular person is no good, that's different. My nail bar is nearly all men except the owner

MojitoMojitoo Tue 12-Mar-19 17:58:07

I always book and ask for a lady but that's because I'm fussy af and I don't like the way anyone else does my nails except one lady!

MojitoMojitoo Tue 12-Mar-19 17:58:49

Peeling a potato 😂😂😂

Littlechocola Tue 12-Mar-19 17:59:50

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

eyesbiggerthanstomach Tue 12-Mar-19 18:08:32

@DietriotukMN random comment!confused

Ha @iklboo I did wonder!!

Slightly worried now that this is a bit outing as I would imagine not many workers in a nail salon peel their vegetables at the manicure table.

eyesbiggerthanstomach Tue 12-Mar-19 18:09:44

@Livedandlearned 😂😂

JessicaWakefieldSVH Tue 12-Mar-19 18:11:05

You are allowed to set your own personal boundaries when it comes to who touches you, regardless of how intimately. Specify a female next time and I’m sure they’ll have no problem with that.

Purpleartichoke Tue 12-Mar-19 18:13:39

If you don’t like his work, I would try to find someone you do like and just ask for them in the future. My salon has several men working there. They are all children, nieces, and nephews of the owner, working there to pay the bills while they are in school. They are all incredibly skilled. I think it helps having literally grown up at the salon. The younger generation is often playing in back while the parents work up front.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »