Talk

Advanced search

Grandma's Murder Clown

(80 Posts)
HeyNannyNanny Tue 12-Mar-19 16:10:07

More of a WWYD than AIBU...

My fantastic Grandmother knitted me this toy, around 10 years ago.
She was a very skilled knitter and it is extremely well made and clearly an enormous amount of time, love and skill went into making it.

My Grandmother has since passed away.

I loved her very very much and have several treasures that she made that I keep on display to remember her by.

"Chucky", sadly, lives in an airtight box in the loft, in case he decides to kill us in our sleep.

It seems offensive and a waste of such talent to keep him hidden away, but, frankly, he's terrifying.

I'd also feel bad giving him away, as he was made especially for me and customised to me etc and, like I say, Grandma dedicated a lot of time in him.

WWYD about the scary sentimental clown living in the attic?

HeritageCarrot Wed 13-Mar-19 19:21:06

HeyNanny toddlers are bigger than they used to be too I reckon. That clown has to go. Any moment of vulnerability could well be the moment he makes his first strike.

HeyNannyNanny Wed 13-Mar-19 19:10:40

I think if it wasn’t huge it wouldn’t be so sinister looking

Oh it's big. I reckon it could take me if I was caught off guard

FlippinNora1 Tue 12-Mar-19 17:42:01

That’s nothing compared to the sinister china clown collection my MIL has promised to leave us. Their beady eyes follow you everywhere and you can feel their evil presence from every room. There are 5 of them and I hate the smallest one the most.

I’d take your nice knitted one over those five freaky bastards any time envy

She also has a crazy doll collection she is threatening on leaving to my poor dd. I’ve suggested they are far too “nice” for a little girl and that SIL will appreciate them more gringringrin

Thesearmsofmine Tue 12-Mar-19 17:33:35

When I was small one of my aunts gave us a porcelain clown (like those horrible dolls), I hated it and still hate clowns but your one is quite sweet looking! The same aunt is still terrible at presents.

HeritageCarrot Tue 12-Mar-19 17:28:45

I think if it wasn’t huge it wouldn’t be so sinister looking. But the size of a toddler - that sounds fearsome. I’m with the charity shop donation. He’s definitely plotting something and you don’t want to be around when he’s ready to put whatever it is into action.

Picklypickles Tue 12-Mar-19 17:25:26

He's adorable, look at his happy little smile!! I'm not usually a fan of clowns I must say but wouldn't have a problem with this happy little guy at all. Maybe confiscate the knife though!!

flitwit99 Tue 12-Mar-19 17:21:59

He's lovely.

I knit and sew for other people. I love making the thing with them in mind. That's what gives me pleasure. What that person does with the thing once I've given it to them is entirely up to them.

Your grandma would have loved making that for you, she would have loved seeing your face when you opened it, you would have loved seeing it for the first time and knowing your grandma made it for you.

You've both had happiness from it. You can pass it on now.

(Unless you might have kids. Then you might like having something your grandma made to give them)

Magenta82 Tue 12-Mar-19 17:20:56

Shit! I wasn't expecting a photo!
Give a girl some warning!

hazell42 Tue 12-Mar-19 17:19:31

God, my grandmother knitted a whole series of these. She never liked me much. You've got me wondering now. What would have happened if I had put it on my bedside table like I told her I would, instead of throwing it in the nearest bin, like i actually did.
I didnt like her much either but always felt a bit guilty about that.
Not anymore

labazsisgoingmad Tue 12-Mar-19 17:15:50

oh the jean greenhowe character clowns so much work goes into them not scarey at all one night i was knitting the clown and ex said to me what are you knitting? oh a string of sausages was my reply! sure he thought i was mad

TheKnackeredChef Tue 12-Mar-19 17:13:22

I'll just leave this here:

https://youtu.be/sgfklKnOg4w

SheeshazAZ09 Tue 12-Mar-19 17:13:10

(Almost) what WarpedGalaxy said. I wouldn't assume that locking him in the attic will protect you but I would give him to a charity shop on the grounds that his new owners (who clearly deserve all that's coming to them) will have to deal with his homicidal tendencies. On balance I think he is unlikely to come back for you; he will have too many tempting distractions like murdering his new family and their friends.

Peachy85 Tue 12-Mar-19 17:09:53

I thought he was a snowman grin

HeyNannyNanny Tue 12-Mar-19 17:08:52

I would love for it to go to someone who would appreciate it but I worry they'll just throw it away.
I quite like the idea of taking a little keepsake from it.

Grumpyoldblonde Tue 12-Mar-19 17:06:14

That’s a snowman in fancy dress not a clown. He’s cute and I’m no fan of clowns. Keep him with the Christmas decorations and put him out in December with a bit of tinsel.

dragoning Tue 12-Mar-19 17:02:43

Could you detach and keep the ice cream and buckets as mementoes? Maybe someone good at knitting could amputate them and reknit the clown together ready for donation? I think he's quite sweet!

HebeMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 12-Mar-19 17:00:00

Oh we had a similarly scary doll - also toddler sized - with a much closer resemblance to Chucky. We simply called it Chucky. DD, 2, misheard and thought its name was Jackie.

I was all for taking Jackie to the tip until DH pointed out that he'd several times seen it lying face down in the middle of the lawn and rushed out to give it CPR before realising with enormous relief that it wasn't one of the DCs, and that chucking it in the municipal tip might spark a murder hunt when they came to empty the containers.

We sent it to a charity shop in the end (under cover of darkness). I hope Jackie is living very happily now with someone who appreciates her. Hopefully far away from here. <shudders>

So yes, my vote is to charity shop it (before it crawls down inside your cavity walls and one day bursts through into your bedroom and eats you).

But lovely knitting. Well done and RIP your Grandma. flowers

WorraLiberty Tue 12-Mar-19 16:55:27

I've never got my head around this 'hating clowns' thing. I know it's fashionable, but clowns to me have always been quite charming members of the circus.

Of course there are 'scary' clowns in films, but that's just a stuffed toy.

Keep it in the loft and pass it on to your children if/when you have some.

Footle Tue 12-Mar-19 16:54:59

It's only 8 months till the Fifth of November.

purpleelk Tue 12-Mar-19 16:54:38

How would your grandmother feel if she knew how much you hated it and that you kept it locked up?

Clearly you can see that many of us don’t find him scary at all, so wouldn’t the nicest and kindest solution be for you to find someone who actually wants him? Your grandmother’s hard work would finally be admired, appreciated and enjoyed.

SobaYakitori Tue 12-Mar-19 16:54:15

Oh OP, I feel your pain. I've got 2 of the fuckers from MIL.

mimibunz Tue 12-Mar-19 16:52:50

Lol at the knife!

BettyDuMonde Tue 12-Mar-19 16:52:37

We’ve got a couple of these (ours are a masked bear that looks like a sex pest and a demon doll with orange eyes from late DMIL and late DM respectively)

We just get them out occasionally to freak our kids out.
See also: the threadbare taxidermied stoat I fished out of a skip.

Mummyoflittledragon Tue 12-Mar-19 16:50:57

He’s cute. Maybe you’ll have children one day. Keep him. In the meantime, hang him at a window at the front of the house on a noose wink.

Joebloggswazere Tue 12-Mar-19 16:49:53

You keep the scary clown doll in the loft???? Haven’t you ever seen a horror movie?? FFS OP, one day an inquisitive nosy little fucker child is going to go up there and set that thing free! Burn it, burn it now. It’s the only way (sorry OPs nanna)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »