Talk

Advanced search

Buying beer for underage drinkers

(12 Posts)
Thisisnotadrill Tue 12-Mar-19 19:05:46

1 beer? I couldn’t get over excited about that tbh.

3/4 yes I would be pissed off.

SpenglerOswald Tue 12-Mar-19 19:03:15

To be honest you could complain but it’ll get out it’s come from you and it’ll cause your son to be Labelled a grass and bullied out of the activity, do you really want that?

doIreallyneedto Tue 12-Mar-19 19:00:09

Is that not illegal in the UK? If so, I would definitely be complaining and pointing out that it is breaking the law.

R2G Tue 12-Mar-19 16:56:40

Happy mummy he brought them up to their hotel room from the bar.

happymummy12345 Tue 12-Mar-19 16:49:17

It wouldn't bother me as I was drinking at that age, and younger. But I'm surprised they got away with it being out. I only ever drank at home or in family homes until I was 18.

Disfordarkchocolate Tue 12-Mar-19 16:43:18

I'd be furious if this happens to my 13-year-old. By 16-17 I would be ok. Definitely need to take this further.

R2G Tue 12-Mar-19 16:42:49

He’s my ex and he’d gone to bed early so doesn’t know about it.

WhiskersPete Tue 12-Mar-19 16:42:30

You don’t give a child alcohol without their parent’s permission! YANBU

LizzieMacQueen Tue 12-Mar-19 16:40:47

I'd not be happy about that. I think at a push, 15 just about 16 year old I would be happier with.

Rugby clubs have such a bad reputation for drinking though. What did you DH say?

doIreallyneedto Tue 12-Mar-19 16:16:56

Oh, and no, you are not over-reacting, although I suspect you will get replies stating that it was only one beer and all 13 year olds are perfectly capable of downing a gallon with no problem.

All the research suggests that a no tolerance approach to under-age drinking is the best one in ensuring a healthy relationship with alcohol.

doIreallyneedto Tue 12-Mar-19 16:14:33

I would be raising all holy murder with the rugby club. In Ireland, that would be illegal as parental consent is required to give u18's alcohol. I don't think it is in the UK?

However, I think you could quite reasonably argue that it is a safeguarding issue and that the club need to ensure that they have appropriate policies in place regarding alcohol, drugs etc, both on club premises and when on trips away.

R2G Tue 12-Mar-19 16:07:55

My son is 13 and went on a rugby trip with dads and lads from his club. His dad has gone to bed and another parent brought my son and his friends a beer each up to the room the boys were staying in. I’m not happy about that. We have addiction in the family and I wouldn’t condone him drinking at this age. Am I over reacting? WWYD?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »