Talk

Advanced search

When is a 16 year old available to ring and get their blood results?

(57 Posts)
bizzey Tue 12-Mar-19 15:08:30

Just that really. Chasing some important blood results for ds .
Receptionist said she can only speak to him.

I appreciate that autonomy is important..but i eas with him for the appointment and blood tests ..

I know i am going to get flamed😁

DoneLikeAKipper Tue 12-Mar-19 15:13:53

My surgery is open until 6.30pm, surely he has a moment to ring between when he finishes school and yours closing?

bigbluebus Tue 12-Mar-19 15:17:08

Assuming that he's still at school and most schools finish by 3.30pm added with the fact that most teenagers have a phone and the GP surgery is usually open until at least 6pm, I am not sure what the issue is - unless there is some information you haven't given us.

BuffaloCauliflower Tue 12-Mar-19 15:17:50

Lunchtime? Break time? After school?

bizzey Tue 12-Mar-19 15:18:28

Blood result line is open 1-2pm. Separately from main reception.

radishingravish Tue 12-Mar-19 15:21:56

Can he not ring after school? I have never known a surgery to close before 5pm. If there is a reason that he can't ring after school because of timings contact the school and say he is going to be in slightly late as he needs to ring the doctors and that should be acceptable as it is a medical reason. If there is a reason he can't ring because he can't talk on the phone due to disability, anxiety etc then take him to the surgery.

BarbaraofSevillle Tue 12-Mar-19 15:22:42

Well only giving out results between 1 and 2 pm would be inconvenient to a lot of people regardless of their age. What alternatives do they offer? That can't be the only way to get results?

BoxOfBabyCheeses Tue 12-Mar-19 15:22:52

Get him to go to the surgery in person after school? I've always been able to do this.

radishingravish Tue 12-Mar-19 15:23:22

Just seen the blood like is from 1-2pm. He will be able to be accused briefly from his lesson if he has one at that time as it will only take a few minutes. Just get him to ask the teacher or you can ring/write a note asking for him.

SquigglySquaw Tue 12-Mar-19 15:23:52

Surely he can just ask a teacher to allow him to ring during that timeframe?

Lumene Tue 12-Mar-19 15:25:54

I would take him into surgery after school. Seems a bit much to leave a 16 year old to cope with difficult news if he got some during school day.

arethereanyleftatall Tue 12-Mar-19 15:34:37

So he phones between 1pm and 2pm then.

LIZS Tue 12-Mar-19 15:35:14

Most 16 yo have mobiles.

MyDcAreMarvel Tue 12-Mar-19 15:38:21

Schools would not allow a child to wander out of lessons. Have never heard of a parent not being able to ring for an under 18 either.

Somewhereovertheroad Tue 12-Mar-19 15:40:10

* Schools would not allow a child to wander out of lessons. Have never heard of a parent not being able to ring for an under 18 either.*

^^ This!!

reallybadidea Tue 12-Mar-19 15:44:19

They should allow you to get the results if he gives consent. I would get him to phone up, or even better send a letter, to say that he's happy for you to be given them. With a bit of luck if he calls to say this then they will just give him the results, even if it's not 1-2pm 🙄

IHateUncleJamie Tue 12-Mar-19 15:47:06

@reallybadidea Yes, exactly. When my dd was in school she wanted me to be able to speak to medical staff on her behalf. Surgery needed permission in writing from her so she wrote and signed a short note which they added to her file. From then on they would speak to me if she was at school.

WaxOnFeckOff Tue 12-Mar-19 15:49:59

I'm actually finding that the NHS is not joined up when t comes to the 16-18 year old age group.

I have one part only able to communicate with DS (17) directly and sends all letters to him and another team who don't deem him an adult until 18 and send all communication to me and wont allow him to confirm any appointment or attend by himself. confused

anniehm Tue 12-Mar-19 15:54:11

If it's important his school will let him ring but seems very odd to only have an hour window, I would struggle at that time too, not everyone can use phones at work! The age of medical consent is 16 so they cannot give results to parents and parents do not have to attend however when it's serious drs suggest they bring a parent eg oncology.

MadCatEnthusiast Tue 12-Mar-19 15:54:25

Get him to write a letter consenting them to let you talk to them. I think it's a mix of the GDPR and also their age.

SauvingnonBlanketyBlanc Tue 12-Mar-19 15:56:32

I'm sure if he rang the surgery and explained they'd let him get the results outside of those hours,any receptionist would be able to access them.Its worth asking

RagamuffinCat Tue 12-Mar-19 15:59:06

Can you phone the usual number and ask to make an appointment outside of school hours for your son to receive them? They might even let you make a telephone appointment.

MRex Tue 12-Mar-19 16:07:11

Can he sign up for patient access, then just look up the results online? Even if that's their results time a GP can give the results by phone once they're at the surgery, maybe reception too.

SeigneurLapindeGrantham Tue 12-Mar-19 16:07:33

I phoned up for my 16 year old dc's blood results last week. Receptionist just gave them to me no questions asked.

youarenotkiddingme Tue 12-Mar-19 16:11:12

Well contact school and ask them to allow him to ring between the open hours.

Tell them if they feel they want you there to discuss with dr then you will make an appointment afterwards.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »