Talk

Advanced search

To hate uniforms on 4 year olds?

(89 Posts)
EscapeFrom Mon 09-Jul-07 13:07:20

horrible sweaty gross grey dronified things. Not to mention bloody dear!

EscapeFrom Mon 09-Jul-07 13:07:41

£5.50 for a t shirt for God's sake!

hoxtonchick Mon 09-Jul-07 13:07:55

yes, i hate ds's school uniform. he quite likes it though, & it does make mornings relatively easy.

EscapeFrom Mon 09-Jul-07 13:10:39

Oh but they are easy any wayyyyyy!

he looks like a Big Boy in it

I hate it. and God it's going to REAM MY PURSE OUT.

Kathyis6incheshigh Mon 09-Jul-07 13:11:57

I prefer a nice alligator suit, meself.

harpsichordcuddler Mon 09-Jul-07 13:12:55

what about stripes
stripes are good for school
no, I am with you. school uniform is ridiculous for little children. they need clothes to play in imo

collisionfrances Mon 09-Jul-07 13:13:13

Where do you get the uniform from?

ASDA do it cheaply as do Tescos.

Jumpers are around a fiver.

I love a uniform and it makes non uniform day more special.

MarsLady Mon 09-Jul-07 13:13:18

All of mine have looked adorable in their uniforms. I love them. And I especially love the fact that they save me loadsa money (ah... Harry.... we miss you! )

fishiejane Mon 09-Jul-07 13:14:37

horrible horrible. just the word UNIFORM sends me frothing. i don't want children to be uniformed. aargh poor little things four year old in uniform is a crime.

francagoestohollywood Mon 09-Jul-07 13:17:16

I don't like uniforms at any age. I mean I like the idea of the uniform itself, but why does it have to be grey man made fabric? those synthetic jumpers, black sensible shoes...

EscapeFrom Mon 09-Jul-07 13:18:50

The £5.50 ones are the school's logoes ones. I know I have some white ones too, but I REALLY don't want him to feel or look different - he has communication problems as it is.

Plus, I was always dressed very slightly differently, and I felt it.

canmummy Mon 09-Jul-07 13:21:24

At my dd's nursery it's optional and it drives me mad when she won't wear it!! I buy it all at asda so it's a lot cheaper than her usual clothes and I then don't care if it gets covered in paint etc etc. Most of the kids wear it and mine have both loved to (usually!)

tissy Mon 09-Jul-07 13:21:52

I like uniforms.

They don't have to be man- made- M+S are even doing fair-trade cotton this year.

Black sensible shoes always look smart, as they can be polished.

I'm grateful that I didn't have to have a battle with dd every day over what to wear to school. I don't have the time. She would ahve wanted to wear her pink sparkly party dress every day, or possibly her Snow White outfit. I can guarantee it!

francagoestohollywood Mon 09-Jul-07 13:24:39

no fair trade ones at my local m&s. looked on the website and the trousers available are only size 3 and 13.

Misdee Mon 09-Jul-07 13:24:40

dd2 is 4 and wears a nursery uniform. she doesnt have to, but i make her wear it. why? because she looks about age 7, and i get fed up of people asking why she isnt in school yet. the nursery logo means people dont ask.

the uniform is too small her really, but its the best we can do atm. only 2 weeks left and then she starts school in sept anyway.

fishiejane Mon 09-Jul-07 13:25:55

i'd love to see a whole class of pink sparkly dresses and snow white outfits. better than soulless grey nylon.

canmummy Mon 09-Jul-07 13:26:04

The thing about the sensible black shoes is making me smile - my mum made me wear these (only ever from Clarks) until I was quite old and I detested it. But now I have lovely feet and I'm really grateful she took the time and expense (she was a single parent) to have me measured properly. So guess what... my own dd's now have to have sensible black shoes for school whatever

tissy Mon 09-Jul-07 13:26:48

franca, try here

EscapeFrom Mon 09-Jul-07 13:27:08

ha yes I had clarks until I was 14 (oh the shame)

BUt I also have an appreciation for how much difference decent shoes can make to your day.

francagoestohollywood Mon 09-Jul-07 13:28:20

thanks

francagoestohollywood Mon 09-Jul-07 13:30:52

I have nothing agaisnt "sensible", although I'm starting to suspect that what is considered sensible in a shoe varies from country to country, but black, come on, it's depressing on a child

newgirl Mon 09-Jul-07 19:46:10

what about the old argument that 'own' clothes show up the poorer kids? eg one in boden one in tesco?

i think school uniform is great, cheap, gives the kids a sense of pride and ownership

Hulababy Mon 09-Jul-07 19:50:21

Love uniform for school. Makes life so much easier. And not all uniform is greya nd drab, or cheap quality. However yes, it can be expensive. Although probably not as expensive as several outfits throughout the year if in normal clothes.

DD loves her uniform. It is very smart and she looks sweet in it IMO.

EricGallagher Mon 09-Jul-07 19:52:00

My DC is going to be 3 in September, went to buy their uniform today to start nursery. £12 for a tracksuit and £9 for a polo shirt. And I'll have to get at least 2 of each.

Horrible colour and a yucky material aswell. But it serves its purpose.

EnidJane Mon 09-Jul-07 19:52:55

I like uniform

mine look very cute in theirs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now