Talk

Advanced search

To have seriously considered pushing DH in the river?

(41 Posts)
downcasteyes Tue 12-Mar-19 13:50:00

I know IADNBU.

I have a really heavy period.
I also have dry socket from a wisdom tooth extraction 10 days ago.
I haven't been sleeping well.
Eating is also painful, so I didn't have any tea yesterday, meaning that when I woke this morning, I'd been fasting for 20 hours.
(Ahem, well nearly fasting, apart from 3 glasses of wine I drank with friends after book group yesterday).

The alarm went off at 6 am this morning. DH leaps out of bed, full of the joys of spring, and announces that it is Time for A Run. We are doing Couch to 5k, currently on week 4. To add to my woes, I have somehow managed to develop shin splints, even though the amount of running you actually do on the first 4 weeks of this programme is minimal and should make this impossible.

I groan and moan a bit, but get my running clothes on, feeling slightly sick, a bit hungover and groggy. When I get outside, I realise that not only is there a gale blowing, but the rain is sheeting down, sideways.
I decide to go back inside. "No, don't be a wuss" says DH. "We have to do this!"

We start to run. Everything hurts, especially my tooth which is aching every time I breathe in. And I breathe in a LOT because I am super unfit.

A swishy haired, model-looking girl jogs past. I wonder for a second if I look a bit like her, then catch a glimpse of myself in a window, and am struck by the resemblance to a beefsteak tomato trying to escape the vegetable aisle.

We get down to the river and the rain is relentless. My breath feels like a saw is cutting through my lungs. "You are doing REALLY WELL!" says DH, who is not even panting.

At this moment, a car drives past through a puddle and I am soaked with muddy water.
"Doesn't it feel great?" he adds.

I am seized by an overpoweringly strong urge to push him into the river. It is only with difficulty that I restrain myself.

AIBU to think that being fat and unfit is actually preferable to a lifestyle where I have to do this on a regular basis? grin

lmusic87 Tue 12-Mar-19 15:16:22

Wow, you were good for going, no way would I have!

FemalePersonator Tue 12-Mar-19 15:16:42

My sympathies, OP.

If you don't want to push your DH into a river, may I suggest an alternative? I have an annoying colleague.... grin

Tanith Tue 12-Mar-19 15:22:46

Don't go with your DH.

I had this when I (briefly) took up cycling. My DH was a keen cyclist, years of experience. He shot off ahead on a 25 mile ride. I did my best, blew up completely and was violently sick at the end.

Why must they be so bloody competitive??

Find yourself a friend or group at roughly the same stage to run with and let him show off to himself.

StormTreader Tue 12-Mar-19 15:44:13

Pushing him in the river sounds like excellent additional resistance training and he should congratulate you on going above and beyond for Health when he eventually resurfaces grin

downcasteyes Tue 12-Mar-19 15:45:27

Thanks for the (im)moral support ladies grin

To be fair to DH he did his best to make it look like he was running beside me - I was so slow he was practically walking really. I was just really not in the mood for it!

Dentists say that it's going to take 5 weeks for the dry socket to stop hurting! shock I did go back and have it packed once, but the dressing fell out in about 36 hours.

Shin splints -this isn't a problem I have had before. Trainers are relatively new. I think it might just be because I'm fat. sad

Witchend Tue 12-Mar-19 15:47:02

I think I'd love to enjoy running. It must be great to enjoy it, and it must be so rewarding.

But I don't. Do I don't do it.

oh4forkssake Tue 12-Mar-19 15:47:30

No court would convict you OP. And this nest of vipers would have set you up with a "Free the River One" fund.

thedisorganisedmum Tue 12-Mar-19 15:51:54

Your ran with your DH whilst having your periods!?!

<mind blown>

Use the man to massage your calves, and shins!

Hurts like hell, but feels soooooooo good at the same time. Also use a tennis ball to roll on shins, and foam roll on the calves.

PyongyangKipperbang Tue 12-Mar-19 16:08:22

May I suggest you make a large cardboard sign to hold up on such occasions so you dont even have to open your eyes when he jumps out of bed.

Two words only.

FUCK. OFF.

Bluetrews25 Tue 12-Mar-19 16:10:46

OP I salute you and award you a MN golden YANBU medal for outstanding services to the sister/brother/person/whateverhood of vipers who make up the MN brethren.
Your dedication is magnificent, as is your writing.
If you can do that run despite all the other factors you are truly A Cut Above.
(You might want to tell him to keep his trap zipped or he will be embracing duckweed like Sir Brian Bottomley. Check it out, great poem by AA Milne of Winnie the Pooh fame)
star Y star A star N star B star U star

youarenotkiddingme Tue 12-Mar-19 16:15:14

Yep you should have done whilst announcing

"Yep sooooo great I think we should add swimming" wink

VelociraptorRex Tue 12-Mar-19 16:29:28

I'd have pushed him in the river OP, but I'd have wrapped him in chicken wire and weighed him down with concrete first... I'm in awe that you did all that on your period without food, my DP wouldn't dare come near me grin

BigChocFrenzy Tue 12-Mar-19 21:02:23

downcasteyes With shin splints, you need to stop running until they are healed, usually just a few days

No kidding, you could eventually get tibia stress fractures if you don't

Munchkingoat Tue 12-Mar-19 21:18:12

As above, you absolutely HAVE to treat shin splints. I've been running for 25 years off and on, I'm still not sure I enjoy it 🤣

panticus Tue 12-Mar-19 21:23:44

I'm also being a bore but make sure you're regularly stretching your calves out too. That will help the splints

ButterflyBitch Tue 12-Mar-19 21:29:16

Just reading that made me want to push your dh in the river so fuck knows how you didn’t!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »