Talk

Advanced search

To think that the police are useless?

(31 Posts)
IdreamofClooney Mon 09-Jul-07 12:47:09

Forgive my rant (please) but I am very cross!

My handbag was stolen on 4 April (from underm y feet in a quiet cafe) which was very upsetting for me, more so as I had photos of DS in there that are irreplaceable and not to mention the fact that I had £170 cash in my almost brand new radley (get me) purse.

Anyway, I duly reported this crime to the police. Nothing happened other than a PC phoning me to tell me that he wasn;t going to give me a lecture on being careful with my stuff, but to be more carefull with my stuff (which went down well).

A couple of weeks later I got my mobile bill showing over £20 of calls made by said handbag theif.

In Nancy Drew (or perhaps Miss Marple) mode I hurried to the police station with my evidence.

I have now made THREE complaints as the police have done BA about it.

I got a calling card from the officer "investigating" my crime at the weekend and after numnerous calls from me he called me back at 8.30 this morning (yes very handy but I digress)

He asked me to bring antoerh copy of my phone bill to the station as he had not recived the first one I dropped off over two months ago. HE gave me all kinds of excuses, including the fact that he had been to busy catching terrorists to chase up my crime.

Now I am as frightened by terrorist attacks as the next woman but I fail to see how a terrorist attack in GLASGOW in JULY can prevent a police officer in EDINBURGH investigating a crime that took place in APRIL.

As far as I am concerned perhaps I should give up my stressful and low paid job and become a handbag theif as apparently that it cool - the police do not care.

Am I being unreasonable ?

FioFioJane Mon 09-Jul-07 12:49:02

well they can be useless. I had a drug dealer trying to break my door down and I rang the police and they didnt even send a car out

that said, they have always been good on other occassions.

I dont think they can do much about robbery, unluckily

Tortington Mon 09-Jul-07 12:49:12

what could they do witha moblie bill>?

HuwEdwards Mon 09-Jul-07 12:50:01

No you're not, but as you may have seen on a TV prog recently, the police get bounty payments for convictions, ergo unless they have a pretty good chance of an arrest, they will not put undue effort in.

All imho.

Speccy Mon 09-Jul-07 12:53:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JeremyVile Mon 09-Jul-07 12:54:53

I can understand why you're annoyed yes, but i get really fed up of people sniping at the police. So YABU.

If any of us ever really need their help i'm quite sure we'd get it and be bloody glad of it too.

mummyhill Mon 09-Jul-07 12:55:28

Custy - with a mobile bill they can see what numbers were called and maybe able to track the thief via their contacts.

ruddynorah Mon 09-Jul-07 12:55:49

eh?! what do you want the police to do exactly?

ruddynorah Mon 09-Jul-07 12:56:19

oh lol, yes of course. hello it's the police who rang you at 2.45 yesterday afternoon please?

IdreamofClooney Mon 09-Jul-07 12:56:56

Sorry the mobile phone bill had all of the numbers on it that the theif called (presumabley to tell all of their mates that they had just scored a bag with lots of stuff in it)

In my opinion the fact that the theif used the phone indicates that they know the police won;t bother to chase them up.

I am not suprised by the lack of motivation if no bonus involved. Is so frustrating - I don;t get bonus payments but I get on with my job to the best I can (apart from when I am skiving on mumsnet) and if I was expecting someone to drop me a document that didnp;t turn up I would chase it up - not wait two months and three complaints before I got of my arse!

tiredemma Mon 09-Jul-07 12:57:25

In the grand scheme of things Im sure that they are not useless, I can see why you would be slightly rattled however.

Police have a really tough job.

JeremyVile Mon 09-Jul-07 12:59:01

Well perhaps the police were busy skiving on MumsNet....there you go...case closed, by you're own standards YABU

IdreamofClooney Mon 09-Jul-07 13:00:14

I would like to police to act like it mattered that someone stole my bag and that the person who stole my bag is in fact a criminal and I am actually a law abiding citizen.

At the moment I feel that the criminal gets the best deal and I have to lump it.

My bag had everything in it I had no end of hassle getting everything replaced, locks changes etc etc and have lost some stuff forever.

Even if the police had just phoned me once off their own back and said (we are sorry about the crime, but there is no way we wil catch them end of) that would be better than nothing!

Speccy Mon 09-Jul-07 13:00:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

slug Mon 09-Jul-07 13:01:11

It's the insensitivity of them that gets me. After I rang to report the third time my car's back window had been broken in the space of a month, the copper on the phone sympathised by suggesting that I should move house to avoid the vandals. Err.... no, maybe you should come and have a word with the two 16 year old boys who have been identified by me, my neighbours, passers by etc of smashing the windows.

IdreamofClooney Mon 09-Jul-07 13:02:02

skving on mumsnet for three months?

I suppose that nothing will get my bag back or stop crime so why bother?

oh am just in a bad mood with everyone

I need to go and get on with my work instead of moaning.

IdreamofClooney Mon 09-Jul-07 16:01:40

Ok Ok

I agree that I am overstating and that the police are not indeed useless.

Please could any of the people who laughed at my indignation explain what you would expect the police to do if your handbag was stolen?

Obviously I am niave in thinking that the phone bill was evidence so clearly I need to watch more cop shows

JeremyVile Mon 09-Jul-07 16:11:21

Not sure what i would expect tbh, i dont imagine there is that much they can do. At least not within the boundaries of their resources.

I would imagine that a stolen handbag/mobile would only be solved if there was some kind of supportive evidence such as CCTV footage (and even then the police would have to recognise the thief by sight), eyewitness who recognised the thief, the discarded bag turning up and having some kind of trace that correlated to something the police had on file or the theif being arrested on another matter and the police finding your property on him or in his home?

Cant see what you expect them to do pro-actively.

bagsundereyes Mon 09-Jul-07 16:13:47

DH is in CID and a right waste of space IMO. And he's about the smartest person in his office.

"busy investigating terrorism"
=
in the canteen, or playing darts.

Although maybe that's just his office....

Not aware of these bounty payments though - which forces get those?

IdreamofClooney Mon 09-Jul-07 16:14:19

Thanks Jeremy I appreciate your input

I clearly have no idea how things work as I really thought that the phone bill was evidence

Oh well I apologise for getting my knickers in a twist when there is nothing the police can do for me

Just seems so unjust somehow but I suppose as my Dad alwasy told me "Life isn;t fair you know"

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 09-Jul-07 16:15:56

Am very sorry that your possessions were stolen in such a manner. This is why some restaurants actually have anti theft handbag clips under the table for people to hang their bags on.

You did the right thing by reporting the theft but realistically there's not much else you can do apart from ensuring that all credit/debit cards, driving licence (if that was in there as well) are stopped asap and reissued.

Did you call the mobile phone company asap post theft?. It seems like you did not get the phone stopped hence the £20.00 worth of calls. Will you be liable for this charge?.

DominiConnor Mon 09-Jul-07 16:19:01

It's evidence of something, certainly.
But the people who were called, weren't the criminals, but still might not be too cooperative.
Even if they were, I couldn't tell you with great accuracy who called me last week, let alone two months ago.

The police, not unreasonably try to make some sort of trade off between the seriousness of the crime, and the chances of a conviction.

To track down everyone rung by a stolen phone and try and persuade them to remember who rung is a lot of work, and my (amateur) judgement puts the chances of any sort of conviction being low.

As for the 16 yo vandals, I bet they will give each other alibis, and others will too. Also the police have learned that the courts simply won't do very much to them, especially if they're white, or worse come from "nice families".
That's not good, but again not the police fault.
Sadly, unless you are much better at this than me, I might doubt they are 16 yos. They could be anything from 14 to 20. If they're 14, and this is "minor" vandalism, literally man-weeks of police time will be sucked up for a 30 quid fine and a warning that if they do it again, the authorities will be quite disappointed with them.

Skribble Mon 09-Jul-07 16:20:15

blah blah blah

JeremyVile Mon 09-Jul-07 16:20:19

Its funny though (in a completely unfunny way), we don't realise until it happens how upsetting it can be to have personal effects stolen, the injustice of it is infuriating.

All i ever had stolen was a mobile phone, but i had pictures on there that really meant something to me, it made me sick to think of the person who stole the phone, wiping them off as if they were nothing.

Bloody B'stards

IdreamofClooney Mon 09-Jul-07 16:25:02

I called the mobile phone company as soon as I could - I didn;t have their number on me and had no keys to get into my flat so took about an hour and by that time the theif had made all of the calls. Virgin tried to make me pay and I had to complain in writing to get them to reimbursse me even though it was obvious I didn't make the calls - there were 10 calls to Morrocco and I had never called there before etc.

I had hoped as I gave the police the phone bill immediately that they would follow up but as they are claiming they do not have it (I physically handed it to an officer at the station - he gave DS who had chicken pox a chocolate I remember it well) then I agree that 3 months later is pointless.

Just seems so wrong to me that criminals get away with it all the time and "law abiding citizens" get no support or assistance for their trouble. I think if the police had made it clear at the outset that they were not able to investigate my crime i woudl have accepted it but three months on and this is upsetting!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now