Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to want DH's family to say who it is when they call here??????

(8 Posts)
fannyannie Mon 09-Jul-07 12:46:29

most of his (VERY large) family I've only met a few times, once at our wedding 7 1/2yrs ago, and some of them again when we went on holiday there last August. However, almost all of them speak English with quite a strong (very similar sounding) Zimbabwean accent and I often haven't got a clue who I'm talking to when they ring.

They ask if he's here - I say no (invariably as they always call afternoon Zim time when DH is at work) and they just say can you tell him I called and ask him to ring me.....then hang up!!! Its just happened now - I know it was one of his 2 brothers - but I don't know which one it was and they didn't give me a chance to check before they hung up - now DH will have to hazard a guess when he gets in and hope he rings the correct one - as one will be waiting up late (going to bed past about 10pm is rare) and the other tucked up in bed.

batters Mon 09-Jul-07 13:51:20

Ask who is calling before answering the question?

"is Mrfannyannie there?"
"who is calling, please?"

ElenyaTuesday Mon 09-Jul-07 14:12:06

fannyannie, my dh's family do this too - and it a very big family! The problem is, they get insulted if I don't know who they are - but I ask anyway!

saadia Mon 09-Jul-07 14:15:01

I have relatives who do this. Once an aunt invited us over to dinner and I didn't know who it was so had to do 1471 then go through phone book to find out.

NatalieJane Mon 09-Jul-07 14:17:37

My MIL does this, it doesn't annoy me that I don't know who it is (we have caller ID so I know who it is before I pick up, and god forbid I wouldn't know that woman's voice) but before I even say hello she launches in with whatever she has rang for - so rude, manners cost nothing!!

fannyannie Mon 09-Jul-07 14:19:05

batters - I did that once and really upset my FIL - so I'm a bit loathe to do it again.....

I always know it's one of his family from the accent...but apart from that I never have a clue.

Of course it doesn't help that his family is of mammoth proportions, 5 siblings (although the older sister now lives in the UK and I recognis e her voice now), his dad has 4 (or is it 5?? I can't remember) brothers and sisters, his mum (who passed away before I met him) has 6 sisters, the oldest of those has 7 daughters (who DH is very close to), his dad has been married 3 times (2 children from each marriage) and he keeps in contact with some of his olders siblings mums' family and quite a few of his younger siblings mum's family.

I can't even do 1471 - as they're all calling from Zimbabwe so number no available!

mumblechum Mon 09-Jul-07 14:31:27

Just say, is that X, and when they say no, it's Y, just say sorry, bad line, or something.

chocolatedot Mon 09-Jul-07 14:39:08

My DH's stepsister always does this. I absolutely cannot stand her and she has a habit of repondin to my "Hello" with "Chocolatedot, are you alright, you sound streesed" or some other irritating opening statement. I always put on my snootiest voice and say "to whom am I speaking?".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now