Talk

Advanced search

To find it so hard to type long strings of numbers ?

(15 Posts)
badlydrawnperson Tue 12-Mar-19 09:35:21

Almost everything I do involves typing long strings of numbers into phones or computers. I find it incredibly hard to do accurately and often make errors - please tell me I am not alone - it makes me irrationally angry whenever I see a conference call invite

Brilliantidiot Tue 12-Mar-19 09:49:58

I have to be very careful with numbers when taking down messages with phone numbers, I think people think I'm a bit thick because I repeat each number then the full one back, twice sometimes.
I swap numbers around a lot. 4 and 5 are the bane of my life and will add or remove the odd random number if there's more than 2 of them in a row.
So if someone says something like "07888845454" I cry a little bit because it will not end up like that on paper! I often rearrange numbers when I'm reading them and then writing them down.
I was rubbish at maths, or so I thought. I would usually get 50% wrong, and got so frustrated because I followed the formula every time, coming out with different answers every time and all of them bloody wrong!
I did a maths summer course at uni where a tutor pointed it out, I was so relieved! I'm actually good at maths just utterly shit at writing numbers down! I find saying them out loud and writing them double spaced helps me now. But you do get odd looks sometimes!

Parly Tue 12-Mar-19 10:01:58

I have what's a major case of "Dyscalculai" (number dyslexia) and for years struggled to do the simplest, basic maths and even still I can't add up in my head and have to count out loose change like a small child.

Affects everything from struggling to follow instructions or recipes because the measurements and units just blend into one and throw me all over.

One of my oldest friends is a psychologist and saw me working out how much two cans of coke for 75p each would be and was so amazed I actually needed to work that out she had me complete a few tests. Official diagnosis - PROPER SHIT BITCH.

I cannot work with numbers, follow graphs and charts and have to ask someone to double check certain equipment and things like hoists and slings.

When I'm working with numbers I use my working hand and use to punch in digits and don't swap from letters to keys if poss. Don't use the numbers along the top of a keyboard though use the number pad only.

I'm a touch typist and smash out words and don't even think or look at my hands but if I have to add numbers it means stopping, taking my working hand (left) and going to the number pad.

It would have helped if I knew it was even a thing back when I was a kid because I struggled but knowing it is actually a thing and not just me being a dumb-ass means I can at least go "I'm not thick - it's a thing"

Parly Tue 12-Mar-19 10:04:13

So if someone says something like "07888845454" I cry a little bit because it will not end up like that on paper

This drives me nuts but I will stop people from blurting out long mobile numbers or similar and go "Wait a second just slow down... 078...888...454 54"

k1233 Tue 12-Mar-19 10:19:54

Interesting parly, I'd break it up to
Double 8
Double 8

But then I'm a patterns person. Ever since I was a kid I can't have partnered sheets as i have to work out how the pattern was created and where the repeat is - not conducive to sleeping...

k1233 Tue 12-Mar-19 10:22:03

To make it worse badlydrawnperson, the key pads differ between phones and keyboards or calculators. Really irritating and irrational.

badlydrawnperson Tue 12-Mar-19 11:07:25

the key pads differ between phones and keyboards or calculators. Really irritating and irrational.

Great point - is it me or does the same issue apply to chip and pin terminals in shops?

Parly Tue 12-Mar-19 11:22:28

@k1233 Yeah with me it tends to be a pattern like 3/2 beat more often than not.

I'm musical though maybe that's just what my brain throws out to work with.

Chottie Tue 12-Mar-19 11:25:39

I find numbers hard too. I really, really have to concentrate and even then I sometimes get it wrong

LegitimateShite Tue 12-Mar-19 11:26:06

I found out I was dyslexic while at university because of this - an assessment was suggested because I was struggling in my temp job with long strings of numbers. (I thought they’d say dyscalculia, if anything!)

Breaking numbers into short strings of four and saying them out loud helps me with longer numbers. Using the number pad on a keyboard is easier, too.

Hoppinggreen Tue 12-Mar-19 11:27:41

I struggle with it too.
I’m not terrible at maths but if I see a long string of numbers I can’t reme them and if I have to copy them down I will probably make a mistake

Parly Tue 12-Mar-19 11:32:48

In the same rhythm as The Mending Song from Bagpuss for example I'd use a simple beat work in the numbers.

0788 (We-will-find-it)
8845 (We will bind it)
454 (We-will-stick it like 454)

youtu.be/DlP7l8vkNOk

07888845 454

Parly Tue 12-Mar-19 11:34:22

Just re-read that and realised it probably sounds like I'm high on drugs or not a full set... confused

I know what I mean though.

supersop60 Tue 12-Mar-19 11:42:41

Chip and pin terminals are different in other countries too. What I would call upside down.
I use patterns too.
Our home phone number can be broken down into bits that add up to 7.
And mobile telephone numbers MUST have a rhythmical pattern eg
12345 123 123
Except when you ask someone to repeat it back to you it comes out as 1234 512 3123 (or something) Aargh,

woollyheart Tue 12-Mar-19 11:56:26

You are not alone. I hate it when someone leaves a voicemail telling me to call back on a phone number. If it is the same as the number they called on that is ok. But if I have to write it down, I have to listen half a dozen times before aI get it right.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »