Talk

Advanced search

Leaving 2yo in the car

(11 Posts)
OpportunityKnocks Tue 12-Mar-19 07:46:47

Just had a disagreement with DH

On the way to dropping off 2yo, DH pops into the shop for about 2/3 mins leaving 2yo in the car.

It's parked on a busy road, lots of pedestrians can't see him from the shop, car is locked. 2yo can also unbuckle own seat belt and open the door.

AIBU to say that you can't leave 2yo in this situation and either take 2yo in or don't go to the shop?

Seeleyboo Tue 12-Mar-19 07:48:32

Christ. Dangerous on all levels. Kid escaping. Kidnap. Car theft. Someone crashing into the car. I wouldn't do it. Think it may be illegal too but not entirely sure.

DownWentTheFlag Tue 12-Mar-19 07:48:56

YANBU! Is the child in the front seat? Most cars have a child lock on the rear seats so they can’t be opened from the inside.

DownWentTheFlag Tue 12-Mar-19 07:49:14

*they = the doors

adaline Tue 12-Mar-19 07:49:45

No, in that situation it's absolutely not safe.

I'm curious as to how your 2yo can open the car though. Don't you have child locks?

Justonemorepancake Tue 12-Mar-19 07:50:07

I'd flip my lid if DH did that.

Boulardii Tue 12-Mar-19 07:52:27

How can your 2yr old unbuckle himself? He must have really strong hands/ fingers. I would be considering getting a different child seat with a stronger buckle.

OpportunityKnocks Tue 12-Mar-19 08:05:07

Yep, he can unbuckle himself in 3 different branded (expensive!) car seats. Luckily trained to ask first after a couple of panic moments, but who knows if we weren't there.

He's in the back seat. Good point on the child locks. He can usually open the back doors if the car is unlocked. I haven't tested if the car is locked. It's not my car, but that will be tonight's job to work those out.

Thanks, I'm glad I'm not being unreasonable. DH had a right strop.

Damntheman Tue 12-Mar-19 08:13:46

I really wouldn't! So many things could go wrong.

whatwouldyoubelikeat28 Tue 12-Mar-19 08:15:01

In Australia utterly illegal and the police would be called.

twistable Tue 12-Mar-19 14:03:16

You should have the child locks on!

And no, your H was BU

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »