Advanced search

A&E/GP/keep at home?

(26 Posts)
ppee Tue 12-Mar-19 07:45:24

I'm never 100% sure the route I should be taking or if I'm being dramatic.

DS has had a cough since December. Sometimes it's really mild and sometimes it's awful.

Yesterday afternoon his coughing became really loud and really chesty.
Last night was complete broken sleep, he'd just scream for 15 minutes at a time and he'd be coughing.
Woke up about 40 minutes ago and he's badly coughing (still sounds like there's something stuck in his throat), wheezing slightly, he's very tired, breathing faster and I think he's sucking in under his ribs slightly. He's asking for toys now and wants to play and isn't drowsy.

What's the best thing to do here?

TapasForTwo Tue 12-Mar-19 07:46:41

He definitely needs to be seen today.

brizzlemint Tue 12-Mar-19 07:46:47

A&E if he's sucking in under his ribs.

GoGoGadgetGin Tue 12-Mar-19 07:48:04

Agree with above a&e if sucking under ribs.

DeathMetalMum Tue 12-Mar-19 07:49:56

What time does your surgery open? Mine would probably give me the first appointment if I explained on the phone which wohld likely be quicker than a&e. I'd ring as soon as they open and see what time appointment they offer. If it's much later on this afternoon, I'd consider a&e.

Sondor Tue 12-Mar-19 07:52:59

Repeating the call to go to a&e. Sucking in under the ribs or at the clavicle both signs that children are struggling to breathe.

Kukumbr Tue 12-Mar-19 07:54:07

Just go to A and E, they’re always happy to see a child and make sure they’re ok. These things can deteriorate quickly too so I wouldn’t wait about for a GP appointment, just take him straight up to be seen now. Hope he’s ok

brizzlemint Tue 12-Mar-19 07:55:12

When we went to the GP with DD sucking in under her ribs the GP called an ambulance - it can be serious.

Hazlenutpie Tue 12-Mar-19 07:56:20

A & E, definitely. I hope he’s okay.

HK20 Tue 12-Mar-19 07:56:49

Phone 101 - they'll assess his symptoms and advise the best action to take. It's what they're there for.

isthisevenathing Tue 12-Mar-19 07:56:55

Has he been assessed for allergies/asthma? A cough shouldn't last three months.

keepforgettingmyusername Tue 12-Mar-19 07:57:40

If you can get a 9am appointment it would be quicker to see the GP than A&E at this stage. I'd ask for the first going appointment with GP and prepare for A&E. If first appt with GP is after say 10am I'd just go straight to A&E if it were me. You may want to go straight to A&E anyway and that's fine.

HK20 Tue 12-Mar-19 07:58:02

Sorry, 111! The police won't help 🙈

DeathMetalMum Tue 12-Mar-19 07:59:02

Just to be clear I only suggested GP as in my case it's very likely the appointment would be 8.30. Which would be much quicker than a&e.

OwlBeThere Tue 12-Mar-19 08:01:03

I’d go to the GP as they can get you straight to the children’s ward bypassing the long a&e wait. Or I’d ring 111.

Kukumbr Tue 12-Mar-19 08:06:00

Also you’ll get treatment quicker at A and E for example if he needs a nebuliser or steroids they can administer it straight away as opposed to having to wait round for a prescription from the GP. I have a feeling a GP would send you straight to hospital with those symptoms anyway.

brizzlemint Tue 12-Mar-19 08:28:38

Forget 111, they are as much use as a chocolate teapot.

If you speak to the GP they can tell A&E that you are on you way but I hope you've gone to see somebody already.

gingerbiscuits Tue 12-Mar-19 08:50:02

If he's sucking under his ribs, he needs to be seen ASAP as he's not moving enough air. He'll probably need a course of Prednisolone steroids & regular blasts of a ventolin inhaler until the inflammation calms down enough for his airways to open up properly again. How old is he? If he's young, I'd say A&E as they can deteriorate rapidly. I say all this as a mum of a now 12yr old who used to suffer from viral induced wheezey chests very badly when he was a toddler & ended up in hospital countless times. Hope your little one is much better very soon. X

ToffeePennie Tue 12-Mar-19 08:54:11

I’m going to say call the gp, if there’s no luck 111. They sent the paramedics to us on Saturday night, for almost the same reason, but didn’t want us to wait 4+ hours at a&e. Luckily the paramedics were able to stabilise our baby’s temperature and sorted his chest out so we avoided a&e all together.

Rememberallball Tue 12-Mar-19 09:03:00

@OwlBeThere, at my hospital you would not get directly into the children’s ward unless a child with complex needs that has a direct access letter from a consultant.

In this situation going to A&E would be quicker as the child would be triaged and then referred to relevant team for treatment.

Jamct23 Tue 12-Mar-19 09:04:25

I would go to A & E hope he feels better soon xxx

nause Tue 12-Mar-19 09:12:31

Poor thing, how old is he?

DeathMetalMum Tue 12-Mar-19 15:45:28

How is he doing now op?

wigglypiggly Tue 12-Mar-19 15:50:41

I'd go to a&e if he is struggling, poor we thing, hope he feels better soon.

ppee Tue 12-Mar-19 17:29:16

Thanks everyone for the responses!
Went to GP early this morning who admitted him to hospital straight away (as @OwlBeThere) said.

He's okay now- they're saying tonsil infection though which seems odd to me with the symptoms he's having seeming more chest related!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »