Talk

Advanced search

Would my baby be considered Mixed?

(132 Posts)
Gomyownway Mon 11-Mar-19 22:42:59

Race is not a genetic fact.

Ohyesiam Mon 11-Mar-19 22:41:47

Of course your child will be mix d race. It’s genetics that decide that, not looks. Your husband lacks insight.

CoachBombay Mon 11-Mar-19 22:41:44

My DS is a third generation mixed race like your child will be. He's classed as mixed race, because, well he is.

DS has some of his fathers Carribbean features so the mix is pretty clear to see. Also don't forget you child could come out a darker mixed race than you, it's all a "game of pick and mix genes" as a genetic councillor told us 😂. You could also have siblings that look completely different!

You would be denying your child part of their grandparents heritage to say they were "white". Let them know their full heritage. Our son loves to talk about his "Ja'macca" family 😂 he is 4 in his defence.

Stuckforthefourthtime Mon 11-Mar-19 22:40:53

My nieces and nephews are like this - our side of the family is mixed and my brother married a white woman. They classify their children as mixed, as the children get older they have had their self-classification change over time. One has little to do with her non white heritage, one has a lot of interest and has even started learning our mother tongue, my nephew is hard to tell as he's still young, but he is the only one who is obviously mixed race so would be unlikely to self classify as white on any form.

Anyway, in short I'd say mixed, your husband doesn't get to write off your heritage, and in your place I'd be pissed off too.

Sengah Mon 11-Mar-19 22:39:23

Yes they will be mixed race because it is a fact of their heritage rather than what they look like. Although of course you can put what you like on forms. However in eg medical situations it is useful to know as some ethnicities are predisposed to certain medical conditions. Slightly off that your partner would be so insistent - is he not proud/accepting of this aspect of you and your child?

TestingTestingWonTooFree Mon 11-Mar-19 22:34:45

I don’t think it matters, but if being of a mixed heritage qualified your child to apply for a scholarship or something then yes, I’d say they were mixed.

CardboardAnnie Mon 11-Mar-19 22:32:54

I am mixed race, my husband is 100% white. Our baby would therefore be 75% white.

I think if I'm mixed, my child would obviously be mixed too. My husband disagrees. He thinks that our baby should just be classed as white (on forms etc).

Our baby most likely won't look particularly non white, some people don't always realise that I am mixed. But I am, and somehow it feels wrong to just write that part of me off?

It got a bit heated when we were discussing it again earlier, and I thought some outside opinions would help!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »