Talk

Advanced search

To be scared of scan and shop

(24 Posts)
hdh747 Mon 11-Mar-19 19:16:14

Ok I'm not sure it's an AIBU but I don't know where to ask on MN. Our Asda has just got them and I wanted to check out a couple of things before trying them.
Can anyone tell me what you do with loose fruit and veg that needs weighing?
How does it know you're not pinching anything? I'm not wanting to know how to - just concerned that if I do something wrong in error it might think I am.
Does it recognise when prices have been reduced?
Any tips or info appreciated. Also I'm partially sighted, and already juggle a white stick., list, trolley, and several pairs of specs so I want to be prepared for how it works before I try and juggle yet another thing whilst stuggling to see what I'm doing whilst shopping.

Thankee muchly.

dementedpixie Mon 11-Mar-19 19:22:42

There should be sets of scales near the fruit and veg and you weigh your produce and print a label to scan. There will be random checks at the tills where they scan some of your items to check you have scanned them.

The trolleys have a bit attached to the handle to sit the scanner - although they seem to be on the left hand side which is a bit awkward as a right handed person. (Tesco ones are on the right)

dementedpixie Mon 11-Mar-19 19:24:16

With our Asda you register using your phone number/ name details, etc on the screen near the bank of scanners. The next time you use them you just need your phone number

hdh747 Mon 11-Mar-19 19:26:04

That's very helpful information, thank you so much. smile

Sparklingbrook Mon 11-Mar-19 19:26:44

I love Scan and Shop.

AFAIK Asda's can't scan yellow reduced stickers so you will need to do them at the end.

Our nearest big Asda has just introduced them. I went yesterday. Even though the shop was open til 5pm Scan and Shop shut at 3pm for some reason.sad

hdh747 Mon 11-Mar-19 19:28:25

Oh, and does the scanner take the money, or do you pay at the end at the tills please?

hdh747 Mon 11-Mar-19 19:29:21

Thank you Sparklingbrook

Sparklingbrook Mon 11-Mar-19 19:30:13

There will be a special section of tills marked for Scan and Shop customers (not to be confused with Self Service ones) You scan the barcode on the till to finish the shop.

Justaboutawake Mon 11-Mar-19 19:30:53

If there’s anything you can’t scan the shop assistant will help you at the end. Once you have shopped you scan a barcode that pops up on a computer till and just wait for it to ask you to pop your card in and pay.
I love scan and go, it’s cut out shopping time in half

sweeneytoddsrazor Mon 11-Mar-19 19:32:10

You pay at the end by card. Any mark downs need to be done by a staff member when you pay. Also keep anything with a security tag on easily accessible so it can be detagged when you pay.

sirmione16 Mon 11-Mar-19 19:32:20

I use Tesco scan and shop. I love it! To prevent theft they do "random service checks" where now and then they scan 5 items from all different bags. I guess technically there is more risk of theft.

agnurse Mon 11-Mar-19 19:33:52

I can only speak to what we have in Canada but I imagine it's similar in the UK.

With scan and shop, they'll have a button on the scanner where you can select items such as fresh fruit and veg and bakery products that don't have a price sticker. Sometimes these will also have a sticker on them with a number (you see this on fruit, for example) and you can key in the number. The machine is programmed to recognize if you've put an unexpected item in the bagging area or if you've not bagged something. Here, at least, our scan and shop checkouts don't take cash. You can use coupons, but you give those to a clerk who sits at a station near the scan and shop machines. This clerk is also available for those who need help and there's a key you can press for help.

dementedpixie Mon 11-Mar-19 19:46:38

They have designated tills for scan and shop. Think asda ones you scan an AR code on the screen at the tills and then scan the barcode that pops up on the scanner. The shopping is transferred to the till so that you can pay. I think our asda ones only accept cards but Tesco accept cash and cards.

dementedpixie Mon 11-Mar-19 19:48:29

I mean QR code

Sparklingbrook Mon 11-Mar-19 19:49:42

Yes, Asda have one extra step with the handset and the QR code that Waitrose and Tesco don't.

cptartapp Mon 11-Mar-19 19:54:22

I love the Tesco scan and shop. You can do a full shop and don't have to speak to anybody!

hdh747 Mon 11-Mar-19 19:55:56

Brilliant, I feel all informed and ready to go now. Thank you very much everyone. flowersflowersflowers

Sparklingbrook Mon 11-Mar-19 19:56:12

Yep, no double handling of everything, no conveyor, no chit chat.

Shopping goes into the trolley once.

dementedpixie Mon 11-Mar-19 19:56:20

It's handy when there isn't a price on the shelf too as you can scan the item and then remove it if you don't want it

Sparklingbrook Mon 11-Mar-19 19:57:14

And you can keep a tally of what you are spending so no surprise at the till. I actually think I spend less doing it.

IWantChocolates Mon 11-Mar-19 21:02:20

Sainsbury's often have barcodes on the shelf under the fruit/veg crate to scan for individual items.

I often forget to open the bags in the trolley first and just put scanned items in straightaway (so I get to the checkout and I have a trolley-full, not bags-full blush) so a reminder to do that!

The random checks at the end are only every now and then so you may not get stopped.

Enjoy - I love it!

Weetabixandshreddies Mon 11-Mar-19 21:06:01

I like the idea of not double handling everything but I've only done it once - I got paranoid that I would forget to scan an item and just put it in the trolley as you normally do.

hdh747 Mon 11-Mar-19 21:08:14

more great tips, thanks again.

MereDintofPandiculation Mon 11-Mar-19 21:09:16

agnurse What you are describing sounds like what we refer to as self service tills - you take all your shopping to a self service till, and scan it yourself. I think what people mean by "scan and shop" is a portable scanner which you take with your trolley, so you scan things as you drop them into your trolley.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »