Talk

Advanced search

To wonder what the point of CAMRA is anymore?

(8 Posts)
FunkyKingston Mon 11-Mar-19 16:33:57

Went to a CAMRA run festival for the first time and came away disappointed. I drank a numver of cask beers, some quite nice others a bit nondescript and a few that were horrible and badly kept, but nothing blew my socks off. There was more variety of flavour and interesting good beer (in my admittedly excellent) local than in the entire festival. The volunteers - grumpy 50/60 somethings nearly without exception did little to make folk feel welcome and were a terrible advert for their organisation.

The whole event mase made question whether CAMRA has had its day or at the very least needs a radical overhaul or become an echo chamber for antisocial aged male wonks

Currently the whole ethos seems to be outdated, absolutist and misguided. I get that in the 70s when chains were trying to inflict weak lager and smooth flow bitter on folk, but the world has moved on and there's a range of flavoursome and original beers brewed across the UK using kegs. Their absurd mantra of 'Cask good, keg bad' seems even more absurd when you try mass produced Keg bitter like doom bar or green king ipa, both of which are bland and unappetising.

I certainly won't be back.

Usernumbers1234 Mon 11-Mar-19 16:36:45

I don’t think there is a point in them any more, because they’ve won

It was a “campaign for real ale” . Real ale is everywhere now, craft beers etc

Sounds a bit like those indie music kids at school who got grumpy when their favourite band was successful and mainstream. Same with the CAMRA blokes, their niche thing is mainstream cool now and they don’t really want to fit in with the mainstream.

FunkyKingston Mon 11-Mar-19 16:44:44

But i don't think they think they've won, they consider most 'craft' beers that have exploded in the last decade to be an an abomination as they are keg rather than cask ales thus not 'real ale.'

To me they're yesterday's men (and i use that term deliberately) , fighting yesterday's battles.

Magenta82 Mon 11-Mar-19 16:50:15

The 50p off a pint in Weatherspoons vouchers come in handy

FunkyKingston Mon 11-Mar-19 16:53:10

The 50p off a pint in Weatherspoons vouchers come in handy

If i went into Weatherspoons it might be, but if i want bullshit anti-EU propaganda shoved down my throat, I'll just visit my parents.

Magenta82 Tue 12-Mar-19 17:27:58

I go round and collect all the propaganda and put it in the recycling bin at home, my friend chucks it behind the booths.

Sirzy Tue 12-Mar-19 17:30:17

My partner is a member. Mainly because the 50p off vouchers for weatherspoons (as a hgv tramper they are perfect for him!) and then a lot of pubs offer 10% discount for camra members so it saves money over the year

Ohyesiam Tue 12-Mar-19 17:30:24

Yes it’s a bit like UKIP. They’ve done it now so they can all go away.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: