Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to ask what you cook in your slow cooker that isn’t stew

(158 Posts)
MyKingdomForACaramel Mon 11-Mar-19 14:06:55

Have given into a long temptation and bought a slow cooker. Despite wanting one for ages - now have a bit of a “block” when working out what to cook in it. Have browsed online for inspiration but find that the main food sites don’t have obvious categories and the niche ones are full of bloody ads - so thought I would ask the wisdom of mumsnet.

Blessingsdragon1 Mon 11-Mar-19 22:43:37

F

CheerioHunter Mon 11-Mar-19 22:31:18

Stalking this post.

But (unoriginal) curries and chilli are regulars for us.

fattylawmaker Mon 11-Mar-19 22:28:19

Fab ideas on here smile

I’ve been stuck in a chilli/curry/stew rut with mine!

Lamb shanks are a favourite but going to try some of these ideas, especially the pulled pork.

Glitterbug76 Mon 11-Mar-19 22:26:10

Chilli using cubed beef
Pulled pork
Chicken curry

MilkieBar Mon 11-Mar-19 22:24:16

Vegetarian sausage casserole - love this as it’s a dump n go. Chopped red onion, 6 frozen veggie sausages, tin of tomatoes, chickpeas or cannellini beans, garlic, mushrooms, pepper, spinach... whatever else you have lying around. Chuck it all in in the morning, don’t brown anything - always turns out amazing

IHeartMarmiteToast Mon 11-Mar-19 21:30:03

Don't use liners. All that plastic waste! My slow cooker doesn't take much to.clean it's really a good non stick

Dinosaursdontgrowontrees Mon 11-Mar-19 21:06:38

For those of you asking about jackets. I have done them a few times. Prick skins. Wrap in foil. Pop in slow cooker for a few hours until done. They taste really nice but are not really like a jacket more like a giant boiled potato. The skin goes soft and thin. You could possibly put them in the oven at the end. Tbh it’s I think it’s easier just to oven cook them.

Owlettele Mon 11-Mar-19 21:02:30

Sausage casserole , veg soup , sausages in onion gravy, baked potatoes, curry, lasagne (awesome lasagne) some things don't taste v.good from slow cooker but it's my life saver on long work days. Pick the kids up and we are all sorted as soon as we come through the door pretty much so I reserve these for my two long work days and nursery pick ups then rotate them weekly

Clevs Mon 11-Mar-19 20:57:50

Frittata

Pk37 Mon 11-Mar-19 20:57:11

Gammon in coke or orange juice
BBQ chicken
Hungarian Goulash (my favourite)
Pulled pork

Loftyswops988 Mon 11-Mar-19 20:53:23

Got rice pudding in mine at the moment! smells so good

ivegotthisyeah Mon 11-Mar-19 20:40:51

You need these too! 59p in home bargains game changer hate cleaning the slow cooker 😂

TaMereAPoilDevantPrisu Mon 11-Mar-19 20:28:05

fudge, rice pudding, and pavlovas

wolfmom Mon 11-Mar-19 20:24:23

Barbecue chicken or beef, bottle of cheap cola and tomato sauce poured over the meat then cook. My very fussy daughter loves it.

TyneTeas Mon 11-Mar-19 20:10:33

Slow cooker mint chocolate aero bubble cake

bakingqueen74.co.uk/slow-cooker-chocolate-and-mint-aero-bubble-cake/

scatteredglitter Mon 11-Mar-19 19:29:29

Not sure if it s been mentioned but desert rice Made with tinned coconut milk and cream with a pinch of cinnamon. smile

Disfordarkchocolate Mon 11-Mar-19 19:12:16

Vegetarian recipe two

www.bbc.com/food/recipes/chickpea_spinach_and_egg_50755

Disfordarkchocolate Mon 11-Mar-19 19:09:59

Vegetarian recipe

www.theguardian.com/food/2019/feb/02/indian-winter-soup-recipes-chetna-makan-potato-coriander-chicken-lentil-squash-chickpea-black-eyed-beans-cavolo-nero
Husband has made the third one down in the slow cooker and said it was lovely

OpiesOldLady Mon 11-Mar-19 19:05:49

Tomorrow I'm making butter chicken curry followed by large chocolate chip cookie with ice cream.

Arpafeelie Mon 11-Mar-19 19:02:54

Most of what I make has been mentioned, but it also does creme caramel very well.

ShowMeTheKittens Mon 11-Mar-19 19:02:00

I would be interested in vegetarian or fish recipes please

ShowMeTheKittens Mon 11-Mar-19 19:00:47

Rice pudding mmmmm

IHeartMarmiteToast Mon 11-Mar-19 18:46:56

I put in a chicken with lemon onion and garlic under and in the chicken and put it on low for about 6-7 hours. Them transfer to a hot oven for 10-15 mins to brown the skin. Sounds faffy but honestly so worth it. You can taste the lemon etc all through the chicken and its so moist. Use the juice that comes off the chicken to make gravy.... It's bloody gorgeous. Oh and I get a salt mix from tiger it's a mix of salts herbs and spices rub all over.

Happyhusband Mon 11-Mar-19 18:27:49

Jacket potatoes. Leave skin on. Pierce once or twice. Leave all day. Lamb shanks. Stiffado. Gammon beef and pork joints.

ChocOrCheese Mon 11-Mar-19 17:25:26

Steak and kidney pudding.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »