Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be bothered by this

(14 Posts)
Hollbee Mon 11-Mar-19 12:13:39

So quick background. My house is on the end of four and we have a shared back parking area. My house comes with all that area. So we own it all except the three parking spaces belonging to the other houses.
Someone new moved in next door and has decide to ignore these spaces and has taken to parking right at my back door, where his front door is.
It’s really bothering me as his car is right at my kitchen window, which is covering the lovely view of the fields and hills.
AIBU to ask him to move, as it is my land so am entitled to do so, and how do I ask him without causing upset with a neighbor?

Seeline Mon 11-Mar-19 12:17:12

'Hello, I'm Hollbee - I live at no. x. Not sure that you're aware, but you are actually parking on my land at the moment, your parking space is over there.'

Shouldn't cause upset.

If he doesn't take that hint, then drop in a copy of the deeds, and say you charge £xx /day for parking.

Hollbee Mon 11-Mar-19 12:19:52

The did make me smile! I just don’t want to come across as a ‘nasty neighbor’ and going into who owns the land, but if he doesn’t know I guess there is no harm in saying this. He does rent so may not be aware that we don’t.

GreatDuckCookery6211 Mon 11-Mar-19 12:22:18

Just go and talk to him, he may not know or he might be chancing his arm. Be friendly and calm to begin with but have a copy of the deeds with you just in case he gets arsey.

Sparklesocks Mon 11-Mar-19 12:23:20

He probably just doesn’t realise where he can and can’t park. Just knock and let him know politely.

mummymeister Mon 11-Mar-19 12:26:31

Agree with others that you need to have a face to face conversation possibly with a copy of the landregistry. my long experience in these matters tells me that the quicker you do it, the easier it will be and the less hassle in the long run. the longer you leave it, the more it will wind you up and the harder it is. plus of course if you don't tackle it and continue to allow him to use your land to park on then you could be inadvertently over a long period of time giving him rights to do this. go round with a smile and your land registry - it will be fine.

Sicario Mon 11-Mar-19 12:27:30

Nip this one in the bud right away. Nice big smile when he answers the door. Then just as you said - tell him he's parked on your land and that his parking space is over there.

Sicario Mon 11-Mar-19 12:29:52

By the way - I had this with a neighbour when I moved into a new house. She came over and said "sorry! you can't park there!" The fact was that it was my land, but she had a right of way over it. I was very glad it was all pointed out and we had a big fat gin and tonic after she explained it.

Holidayshopping Mon 11-Mar-19 12:30:49

My house is on the end of four and we have a shared back parking area. My house comes with all that area. So we own it all

I think we need a diagram! Do you have the deeds clearly showing the area you own?

flumpybear Mon 11-Mar-19 12:33:11

Diagram please

But talk to him. Tell him it's all your owned land and it's actually trespassing, he's a right if access (assuming that's what your deeds say), but stopping anywhere except dedicated parking spot is not allowed plus it's spoiling the enjoyment you have of your own property

Hollbee Mon 11-Mar-19 12:35:26

Was going to add a photo, however I can’t seem to find out how!
The deeds do clearly show where we own, which is everything but three parking bays. They have right of access, so can drive over it and unload but not park. Think I will bite the bullet and have a word!

HennyPennyHorror Mon 11-Mar-19 12:53:26

Go round with a tin of biscuits and a welcoming smile. Nobody can be rude then.

oh4forkssake Mon 11-Mar-19 12:54:38

As a tenant he won't have a copy of the deeds - having a word is the right thing to do.

GreatDuckCookery6211 Mon 11-Mar-19 12:58:03

His LL should have explained the parking situation but maybe they didn’t.
Go and chat with him OP.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »