Advanced search

To ask who can make medical decisions for me?

(6 Posts)
NoRightIsIt Mon 11-Mar-19 10:54:49

Sorry it isn’t strictly aibu but posting for traffic. I’m married with two adult children. If I had to go for an op I’d have to sign a consent form? What if I wasn’t able to who is “allowed” to decide my treatment? What if I was in a coma or developed dementia who can decide what medical treatment I have and who can determine say my financial decisions? I’m in Scotland. Can anyone point me in right direct of where I can look for this info and if I can prepare any legal documents with my wishes. I’d like my husband to make those decision. Failing that my DC1. DC2 I would prefer if they had no input. Any help would be appreciated.

MorganKitten Mon 11-Mar-19 11:59:41

With mum mums coma my step dad and I made decisions together but as her partner he would be allowed to do that for her.
He now has a COP for her so it really is down to him, but we still talk about it. My mum was COP for my nan but that’s now me.

dublinmammy1982 Mon 11-Mar-19 12:03:45

You need to set up a Power of Attorney. DH and are about to do one. Google "Office of the Public Guardian" and all info is on there.
Much better to set one up when you are healthy and well, so you can specify exactly what your wishes are.

Confusedbeetle Mon 11-Mar-19 12:03:55

In Uk Law no one can make the decisions, they are made by the medics in consultation with the family. However if you draw up a Lasting Power of attorney, it gives your named person/people greater authority and rights to information and therefore decision making. There are two different agreements, one for financial matters and one for Health a nd Social care. Easy to draw up with a solicitor and register. Am sure there will be the equivalent in Scotland

dublinmammy1982 Mon 11-Mar-19 12:05:01

@Confusedbeetle you don't need to do it through a solicitor, though of can you can if you want to. It just then costs more.

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Mon 11-Mar-19 12:08:04

If you dont have capactiy then medical professionals will hodls best interests meeting, hopefully with your relatives and carers and ecide the best course of action for you.

@Dublin - you do need to register your LPA, and that costs(I think) £92 in England, no idea bout Scotland though


Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »