Talk

Advanced search

MIL is full of shit

(112 Posts)
slidepuzzle Mon 11-Mar-19 10:21:30

In the last few days I have heard...

1. Calling a man “gay” (for not liking sport) is not homophobic.

2. You shouldn’t eat dry crackers when you feel nauseous because it will dehydrate you.

3. Wearing clothes to cover a burn (such as a glove if you have burnt you hand) means it won’t hurt if you put your hand in water to wash up or have a bath.

This is all shit isn’t it?

Purplecatshopaholic Mon 11-Mar-19 11:27:49

My (soon-to-be-ex) MIL is a nutter. She doesnt like gay people, foreign people, actually virtually any people, and has very strange views about most things - and is extremely vocal about them. I am divorcing her son for cheating but sooo not sorry I never have to see her again either!

RomanyQueen1 Mon 11-Mar-19 11:28:45

Woolen glove grin I can see your point.
I have had success with rubber gloves but the burn had been treated first.

mummyp3e3 Mon 11-Mar-19 11:31:47

Definitely full of shit grin

gnushoes Mon 11-Mar-19 11:33:10

Bet she voted Leave.

GreatDuckCookery6211 Mon 11-Mar-19 11:38:08

Bet she voted Leave grin I was going to say that but thought better not. Bet she did though.

slidepuzzle Mon 11-Mar-19 11:39:28

She voted leave!

GreatDuckCookery6211 Mon 11-Mar-19 11:40:46

Of course she did grin

NWQM Mon 11-Mar-19 11:45:19

I'd be voting leave too...from spending too much time with her

Freyanna Mon 11-Mar-19 11:47:36

You can't argue with stupid.

I said I didn't like a certain 'celebrity' MIL likes because he used to beat up his ex wife.

MIL response 'She must have deserved it then'.

Purplecatshopaholic Mon 11-Mar-19 11:56:38

My soon-to-be-ex MIL voted Leave (without having a sodding clue what it means - she just doesn't want 'foreigners over here') and also votes Tory - yet more reasons for my never wanting to see her again....

Thingybob Mon 11-Mar-19 11:58:30

As an older person I'll defend your MIL.

The gay thing is easy to slip out as language has evolved so fast and I have to bite my lip too in response to pampered grandchildren whinging about something. A few years back I could have told them to stop behaving like 'a big girls blouse' but that expression is not PC either.

And was it her no nonsense approach that also led to the other two issues you have with her?

Did she suggest wearing gloves because the child was making a huge fuss over a small burn and using it as an excuse to not wash up?

Was the no dry crackers in response to a child feeling so sick that they couldn't possibly eat the meal she had prepared but wanted an alternative that they liked?

Lots of people my age get frustrated at how younger Mums tiptoe around their children and we won't join in with indulging the childrens ever whim. Maybe I'm wrong and she was just being bloody minded but even if that is the case you should still show her some respect as the grandmother to your children.

Nickpan Mon 11-Mar-19 12:02:02

Please keep a blog for us, "BS my MIL says"

slidepuzzle Mon 11-Mar-19 12:04:07

Thingybob You sound just like her. “just slips out”, “huge fuss small burn”, “tiptoe around children”.

And no I won’t show her any respect she is a nasty cruel person and you have shown me that she will probably never change and so I will have nothing g to do with her because I don’t want to be around homophobic bigoted ignorant fools. Thank you. smile

Purplecatshopaholic Mon 11-Mar-19 12:04:49

@Nickpan, I wish I had thought of that before - her views are so crazy its hilarious!

GreatDuckCookery6211 Mon 11-Mar-19 12:05:39

Nothing to do with age thingybob, she’s just dim.

Confusedbeetle Mon 11-Mar-19 12:08:43

Just because she says sill or offensive things doesnt make her full of shit

StrawberryFilter Mon 11-Mar-19 12:09:21

OP thingybob was not being at all unreasonable and you really didn't need to be quite so rude to her. I'm a bit taken aback at your nasty reply tbh - it says a lot more about you than about your MIL. Yes I'm sure your MIL drives you mad (so does mine) but we don't get to choose our families so you're going to have to learn a bit more of the tolerance you seem to value so much.

Confusedbeetle Mon 11-Mar-19 12:10:05

"Bet she voted leave"

AAAAARGH! Now who's full of shit?

slidepuzzle Mon 11-Mar-19 12:11:44

StrawberryFilter There was no small burn, huge fuss, that poster has simply made things up to justify her position of wanting to call people names and control. There’s no kindness in her post. My MIL is the same and I have realised she will never change, so I’m done.

TheNoodlesIncident Mon 11-Mar-19 12:12:14

you should still show her some respect as the grandmother to your children.

Like hell! She deserves respect when she's earned it, not just because her children have had children themselves!

Thingybob Mon 11-Mar-19 12:13:05

Lol so I called it right slidepuzzle?

With regards to not wanting contact then make your excuses but what about your children, shouldn't they see they their grandparents? And what about your Hubby, it's not going to help with your relationship if you call his mother 'full of shit' and a 'nasty, cruel person'

PS I voted leave!

DuckbilledSplatterPuff Mon 11-Mar-19 12:14:11

Sounds like she red my MIL's playbook.
My MIL likes to cut articles out of the daily mail and send them to me. I particularly liked the one she sent me recently that vegetarians have just as much subcutaneous fat as meat eaters. Hmmm.

Easterbunnyiscomingsoon Mon 11-Mar-19 12:14:12

Respect is earned.
My exmil hated gays.
Wonder if she has told my gay ds that??

GreatDuckCookery6211 Mon 11-Mar-19 12:15:27

PS I voted leave!

That’s nothing to be shouting about!

Thingybob Mon 11-Mar-19 12:15:40

And to StrawberryFilter and Slidepuzzle

My post wasn't meant in an unkind way but just trying to look at it from MIL perspective

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »