Talk

Advanced search

Will my washing dry?

(15 Posts)
capaciousbladder Mon 11-Mar-19 08:55:14

Please settle an argument. It is bright, windy but cold. Dry all day, temperature peaking at 8. Will it dry?? It's out already...

ZigZagIntoTheBlue Mon 11-Mar-19 08:56:15

I think it would, windy weather will dry clothes!

Oysterbabe Mon 11-Mar-19 08:56:22

I think it will if it's windy. Mine did yesterday.

pisspawpatrol Mon 11-Mar-19 09:07:38

Putting mine out in the same conditions, so I hope so!

livingthegoodlife Mon 11-Mar-19 09:11:47

I think so, windy is good! Might needs airing indoors in heated cupboards.

MereDintofPandiculation Mon 11-Mar-19 09:57:14

On your weather forecast, you've got a dew point of -2% C. That's the temperature at which evaporation and condensation are equal. At temperatures above that, evaporation exceeds condensation, so there'll be a net transfer of water from clothes to air. So the clothes will dry.

65% humidity says the air is holding only 65% of the water vapour that it can hold at the current temperature (4%), so there's plenty of "space" for the water from your clothes.

Wind is an added bonus because it's constantly replacing air which is getting soggy from your clothes with fresh dry air.

MargoLovebutter Mon 11-Mar-19 10:04:52

It will get drier, definitely because the wind will be drier than your laundry, given the humidity is low.

I doubt it will get bone dry though, as I'm not sure it is warm enough for all the water to fully evaporate.

I always hang my clothes out, unless it is raining, as I work on the basis that unless it is actually raining, it is likely to be drier than my laundry. Even if it only lifts 10-20% of the moisture from the clothes it is worth it, in my opinion, as it saves either the inside of the house from becoming damper with moisture evaporating from the clothes and condensing elsewhere - or less time in the tumble dryer.

thedisorganisedmum Mon 11-Mar-19 10:09:52

I put the laundry outside all year round. As long as it's not raining, of course it dries! The wind will make all the difference.

Even if it's not bone dry when you take it back in, you avoid that horrible humidity in your house and it will finish drying overnight. It's better for the environment too.

I can never understand people who chose to put things on radiators then complain about humidity!

BakewellGin1 Mon 11-Mar-19 10:15:20

Mines been out since 7.30am and on putting some more out and checking first lot it's definately drier then it was smile

Justmuddlingalong Mon 11-Mar-19 10:19:45

If the path is dry, mine goes on the line. 1st load already out, 2nd load in the machine.

kaytee87 Mon 11-Mar-19 10:20:04

Is it in a sunny spot? It will dry eventually, you might need to put it over radiators later to take the slight damp/chill off it though.

greenelephantscarf Mon 11-Mar-19 10:22:07

is the ground dry where you hang out?
if yes, they will dry and the wind will help dry quicker.

thedisorganisedmum Mon 11-Mar-19 10:23:03

If it's a bit windy, it doesn't even matter if the ground is wet when you hang the laundry, it still dries!

foobio Mon 11-Mar-19 10:23:22

I got two loads dry in two hours yesterday. Third load was still a bit damp though when MIL brought it in, presumably because it was getting darked on 😆

OMGithurts Mon 11-Mar-19 10:25:52

Mine was almost dry yesterday, but I had to put DS's trousers on the heated airer as the thick elasticated cuffs and waistbands were still damp.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »