Talk

Advanced search

9 month old conjunctivitis

(22 Posts)
Ihavealwaysknown Sun 10-Mar-19 21:40:12

So we popped to see the chemist today as DDs eyes looked rather red, gunky, rubbing etc all the usual conjunctivitis symptoms.

Pharmacist said they couldn’t sell us anything as DD is not 2. He’s advised us to go to either out of hours or GP tomorrow to get something prescribed. DH asked if they would prescribe something specifically for babies and he replied no, most likely just what an adult could buy otc.

Would it be unreasonable to go and pick this up in the morning? Our GP is notorious for being impossible to get a Monday appointments (as many are). I’m also back at work in the morning (1st day back) and DD is with MIL who doesn’t drive, so even if I did get an appointment I’d need to leave work to take her.

The other option is Tuesday is my day off, so could it wait? I’ve never had it so I’m not entirely sure how it progresses!

MamaLovesMango Sun 10-Mar-19 21:43:57

I’m not sure really. My 1 year old had it the other week and I made sure I got to her to the GP ASAP (knowing the pharmacist wouldn’t hand over the drops) as it takes hold really quickly and is really miserable for them. I think I’d probably want her checked out to be honest. They don’t always prescribe the drops either as conjunctivitis is nearly always viral. In our area, you don’t get them unless they’re in childcare as many places won’t allow them to attend unless they’ve had 48 hours of treatment.

247mummsy Sun 10-Mar-19 21:43:58

My 5 month old had conjunctivitis on Wednesday (started early evening), we wipe it with boiled salt water and I put some breast milk in it that night, I did the same the following morning, but I also took her to the doctor. She said keep doing what I was doing and by Saturday morning it had completely cleared up. I wouldn’t get the eye drops, I would bathe with boiled salt water, and if you’re breastfeeding put some milk in it.

247mummsy Sun 10-Mar-19 21:45:58

I meant above I wouldn’t get the adult drops for her. If they prescribe child drops obvs take them if it’s still bad, but no longer than 5 days they say.

Mmmhmmm Sun 10-Mar-19 21:46:21

When our daughter had it I got it too, I just bought the OTC drops for me then also used them on her. GP was f'ing useless.

Doublechocolatetiffin Sun 10-Mar-19 21:47:28

All you need is boiled water (can add salt) and a fresh cotton wool pad for each eye. Give them a wipe and it should clear up on its own within a few days.

Nnnnnineteen Sun 10-Mar-19 21:51:07

Are you still breastfeeding? I only managed to bf for 3 months, but in that 3 months dd had every manky eye thing going and breast milk was ace!

DonnaDarko Sun 10-Mar-19 21:52:21

For viral conjunctivitis, we just used cooled boiled water to wipe away the gunk. If DS had other symptoms like a runny nose or seemed particularly upset, we would give him Calpol.

If it doesn't look better after a few days, then go to the doctor.

CoffeeAndCakeEssentials Sun 10-Mar-19 21:57:39

Another vote for cooled boiled water and clean cotton wool for each eye. Repeat several times a day. Within a few days it should just clear by itself. If it persists then see the GP smile

Bellebill Sun 10-Mar-19 22:00:14

Wash hands. Use cooled boiled water to wipe each eye and gently wipe with the cotton wool ball (wipe once and throw away and then use a fresh ball to wipe again if you need to). And please get a GP appointment first thing in the morning! Yes it’s super annoying to try to fight getting an appointment on a Monday (been there many a time) but you really shouldn’t wait as it won’t get better without antibiotics and it’s really quite uncomfortable and some times distressing for little ones. Oh and it’s highly infectious! Get Fusidic Acid eyedrops if you can, Chloramphenicol has to be used 4 times a day and I think it’s stored in the fridge and frankly I’ve always found it harder to administer!
Get well soon little one! I’ve had experience of both mine having conjunctivitis and my DD had immature tear glands which often presented like conjunctivitis and we had to treat them the same way... x

Nowthenforever2019 Sun 10-Mar-19 22:03:18

Clearly it's unreasonable for you to take the first day back off, but couldn't your husband take a day as his child is sick and needs medical attention? That seems like the best solution given your mum doesn't drive.

GPs should prioritise appointments for under ones

Ihavealwaysknown Sun 10-Mar-19 22:03:27

We’ve been on the cool boiled water since Saturday so I guess we will see what she is like in the morning (hopefully better!) looks like my first conversation with my new boss will be ‘Hi, I need to leave for DDs doctors appointment’ 🙊 ah well!

Ihavealwaysknown Sun 10-Mar-19 22:05:26

@nowthenforever2019 DH is working away, so it’s I take her or she doesn’t go. Might see if we can get a phone consult though and if need be pop in after work (I’m a teacher so again this could be interesting leaving a group to it whilst I speak with the GP)

SparkleJoy Sun 10-Mar-19 22:06:16

My daughter had it last month at 6 months old. I went doctor 3 times in two weeks. It took them two weeks to prescribe eye drops as it's viral and they usually let it run its course. But hers would not shift with cleaning it alone.

Bellebill Sun 10-Mar-19 22:07:58

I remember going back to work after having my DD and once she was in nursery she had the never ending amount of bugs that you would expect! I think nursery called me on day 2 of being back in the office. If your boss is understanding and has insight into family life they should realise you aren’t taking the mick and actually, at the end of the day, family comes first! Can you offer to work late to cover the hours lost for the appt? That’s what I do!

MamaLovesMango Sun 10-Mar-19 22:08:58

I sympathise with the balancing act. It’s a nightmare this time of year trying to juggle children and a job. I’ve been back from mat leave for only a few weeks and already I’ve had to take time off to deal with sickness which went down like a lead balloon! It sucks! gincake

LaurieMarlow Sun 10-Mar-19 22:09:02

as it won’t get better without antibiotics

This is bullshit btw. What if it’s viral? confused

Why can’t her Dad take her to the GP?

Ihavealwaysknown Sun 10-Mar-19 22:31:05

@LaurieMarlow DH is working away (fantastic timing)

We will see how she is in the morning, if it's no worse we may try another day of the boiled water to see if that helps, if it doesn't I will take her Tuesday. Obviously if it's worse we will have to get in at the doctors!

Bellebill Sun 10-Mar-19 23:04:22

@LaurieMarlow In my experience it’s never been viral but then I should have been more careful in my wording because clearly I am wrong!

How do you determine if it is viral? Swab the infected eyes and wait for results to come back? So potentially more than one appointment? I’m interested to know as I’m clearly not a clinician. I’ve looked on NHS and it says viral or caused by allergens wont respond to antibiotics. Makes sense. If a little one has a cold then surely 9/10 times the conjunctivitis is caused by the bacteria (I.e. snot) being rubbed into the eye?! I had conjunctivitis last year and it was bl00dy painful and annoying not being able to open my eyes especially when little one was waking in the night.

Nowthenforever2019 Sun 10-Mar-19 23:15:15

He hasn't gone yet as he went wirh you to the chemist. Can he not have tomorrow off as he has a sick child and go Tuesday? That does seem like the better option then you having to take the first day of your return off. Your job is as important to you as his is him, I am assuming.

katonic Sun 10-Mar-19 23:35:46

My 18mo had conjunctivitis, nursery announced it at pickup on Thursday evening and said they’d only have her in on Friday if she was having treatment. The first pharmacy we went to asked her age and we were honest, so they wouldn’t give us the drops. Did a quick google at home and the otc drops are identical to the prescribed ones, so we just said she was 2 at the next pharmacy, got the drops, all good for nursery the next day. However we did also just do salt water washes and if it wasn’t for nursery procedures we wouldn’t have bothered with drops. I wouldn’t stress about drs, just get to a pharmacy.

Ihavealwaysknown Sun 10-Mar-19 23:41:20

@katonic DD is a tiny 9month old so couldn't really pass off as much else, although I guess if I didn't take her 🤷🏻‍♀️ then I'm also a little worried about dosages etc... hmm worth a thought though, thanks for confirming what I thought about it being the same as prescribed. Seems mad to waste nhs time (and then to get it on a free prescription) as that's the case!

@Nowthenforever2019 my job is 10miles down the road, DH is leaving for the airport in 5 hours to fly to Israel 🤷🏻‍♀️ it seems logical that I'm the one who takes the hit this time. Usually if he was not meeting potential clients he'd be able to 'work' from home, it's just all fallen very badly!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »