Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think this bloke at a party was a stupid prick?

(6 Posts)
BrionyAur Sun 10-Mar-19 18:12:20

I was at a party the other night (something to do with OH's work). There were colleagues of his from all over the world. Some bloke I've never met before made a beeline for me later on in the evening and started having a go at me for not letting my OH have a dog (long story - I used to want a dog when kids were at home, OH didn't, now he wants one but he works away a lot so I would be the main dog carer just as I've got my freedom back as kids away at uni).
The bloke - to whom I hadn't even been formally introduced - generally berated me, saying that I should let my husband have a dog and I found myself massively on the defensive - justifying why not to a complete stranger. At some point he said to OH 'well just bring a puppy home and her maternal instincts will kick in and she won't be able to say no then'. I half-jokingly said 'well if he does that, I'll be gone' whereupon this bloke (a high-flying, very successful international lawyer' turned to my husband and said 'Ah ok I'll be your legal representative then'.
If I'd known this chap then maybe it wouldn't have grated but I found him completely abrasive, disrespectful and it actually quite upset me.
Am I being unreasonable, over-sensitive and ridiculous? Or was his behaviour odd and lacking in social skills? I should add that he was quite intimidating, towering over me being verbally very quick and clever.

PurpleDaisies Sun 10-Mar-19 18:13:36

He sounds like a total arsehole.

StealthPolarBear Sun 10-Mar-19 18:13:57

It sounds like the sort of jokey behaviour that could have worked if you'd been friends. But you weren't so he was inappropriate and over familiar.

sleepalldays Sun 10-Mar-19 18:14:01

He sounds like an arrogant cock, but it also sounds as if your husband has been bad mouthing you to him. Didn't you husband step in to stop him at any point?

AtrociousCircumstance Sun 10-Mar-19 18:16:06

He was a wanker. Rey not to let it get to you. What you’re probably most cross about is the fact that you didn’t immediately drift away from him - you got engaged, justified etc.

He’s an entitled prick. But what did your partner do in this scenario?

BrionyAur Sun 10-Mar-19 18:34:04

StealthPolarBear - yes exactly - it would have been ok if I'd known him well enough to have some banter with him! But I feel like a twat for getting drawn in.
My husband was standing there making the odd disapproving noise - what a twat. Afterwards he said it was me that had the problem so I told him (hyperthetically, not really) to go and do something similar to this bloke's wife (who I'd spoken to earlier and who was perfectly normal and nice). Then he seemed to get it and apologised and also told the bloke he'd upset me. The bloke apologised to my husband but not to me so I don't take the apology particularly seriously

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »