Talk

Advanced search

Where to stay in the Cotswold for 50th Birthday treat.

(30 Posts)
Whatjusthappenedthere Sun 10-Mar-19 17:59:27

We don’t know the area but are stopping for two nights on our way south in the camper van.
We want a traditional inn / hotel to stay in for DH’s actual birthday but there are so many on line I’m getting brain fog.
So do any of you lovely people have recent first hand knowledge of a lovely old world type place that’s not intimidating ( camper van stored clothing but obviously we will pack something semi smart ) or pretentious but where DH will be feel like he’s getting a bit of special treatment.
Budget upto 500 pounds for 2 nights.
Help!

confusedandemployed Sun 10-Mar-19 18:02:35

Ragged Cot - Minchinhampton
Bathurst Arms - North Cerney
Wild Duck - Ewen

All have good reps, decent food etc

Imtryingveryhard Sun 10-Mar-19 18:09:30

The Close Tetbury. Gorgeous old hotel with beautiful gardens and a nice high street. Close to highgrove and westinburt. HighLy recommended smile

Lemons1571 Sun 10-Mar-19 18:09:44

Eynsham Hall near Oxford.

The Feathers in Woodstock next to Blenheim Palace

The Plough at Kingham.

The Cotswolds is a big area, can you narrow it down a bit?

Parsley1234 Sun 10-Mar-19 18:12:49

I live here so my top tips are :
Whatley Manor close to Westonbirt arboretum and Bath
If you want the North Cotswolds the Lygon Arms is fabulous and close to Broadway Chippibg Camden Bourton which are all fab !
No to all the above recommendations you can do better
Enjoy !!!

HarrysOwl Sun 10-Mar-19 18:13:39

Broadway is nice, Bourton-on-the-Water is lovely too; both very picturesque Cotswold villages.

If you like walking and gorgeous views, then head up Cleeve Common from Cheltenham.

This is my neck of the woods, happy to give a tour! grin

MrsSchrute Sun 10-Mar-19 18:15:02

The New Inn at Coln St Aldwyn is lush! Feels like a real treat.

fuzzyduck1 Sun 10-Mar-19 18:16:09

Bangkok. Far more fun

Whatjusthappenedthere Sun 10-Mar-19 18:16:16

Lemons, I’m really open to anywhere in the Cotswolds as it’s the first stop of a 10 day trip . The camper is new and we have hardly been anywhere in it. I’m so clueless I just need an area to aim for and start planning from there. confused
Thanks for your recommendations.

borntobequiet Sun 10-Mar-19 18:18:52

Chipping Campden is lovely. Some hotels there are vair posh but the Noel Arms is just as nice but not as pretentious.

Whatjusthappenedthere Sun 10-Mar-19 18:18:59

Lygon arms is on the list already Parsley. That’s the kind of place I’m looking for. flowers

ajandjjmum Sun 10-Mar-19 18:18:59

Ellenborough Park in Cheltenham?

Sparklingbrook Sun 10-Mar-19 18:19:29

www.threewayshousehotel.com/pudding_club/

I went here a long time ago but it still has good Trip Advisor reviews.

StoneofDestiny Sun 10-Mar-19 18:19:30

Chipping Campden, Broadway both near National Trust properties and National Trust Gardens. Great walking areas, great eateries and pubs and little gift shops.

SheRaTheAllPowerful Sun 10-Mar-19 18:21:39

The Porch House -Stow on the Wold one of the oldest pubs in the country I think.

CoffeeNeeded2019 Sun 10-Mar-19 18:27:02

The Cotswold Plough in Clanfield is nice; especially if you’re into gin (they have a gin pantry with tasting experiences etc)

wanderlustgirl Sun 10-Mar-19 18:32:47

Dormy house! Near broadway

CMOTDibbler Sun 10-Mar-19 18:33:40

I'd go with the Lygon arms - it is absolutely gorgeous and a real treat, but not up themselves.

There is also a very nice caravan/van site at Moreton in the Marsh which is a short walk into Moreton, or a longer walk to Bourton on the Hill which is imo the quintessential cotswold village. And if you wanted to spend more time in the Cotswolds, Cirencester Park caravan site is good, and a v pleasant walk into Ciren.

Whatjusthappenedthere Sun 10-Mar-19 18:35:06

Porch house is also been noted down. Thank you. Sadly the rooms I liked have already been booked but it does look lovely.

Has anyone stayed at the Slaughter Inn ?

Whatjusthappenedthere Sun 10-Mar-19 18:35:57

Thanks CMO , all helpful.

McTufty Sun 10-Mar-19 18:36:08

The Fish is another option for Broadway!

Magmatic80 Sun 10-Mar-19 18:37:01

I book hotels in Cotswolds for work all the time. The Bear at Rodborough is hands down the best one I’ve ever used. Absolutely what I personally think of as Cotswoldy. The picture on google maps is rubbish, it’s gorgeous stone, beautiful rooms, loads of little nooks to sit in with drinks and food. A croquet lawn! I love it.

StoneofDestiny Sun 10-Mar-19 19:26:57

Not stayed at Slaughter Inn - believe on the pricey side. Slaughters are nice quiet villages near the busy not quiet touristy Bourton on the Water.

ajandjjmum Mon 11-Mar-19 12:00:29

We stayed at The Fish last year - didn't love it as much as I expected, although we had a good weekend, with lots of walks!

LakieLady Mon 11-Mar-19 12:06:15

Another vote for the Lygon Arms. If it's only half as nice as when I stayed there 10 years ago, it'll still be fantastic!

It was dog-friendly too, which really surprised me.

Littlewhitedove Mon 11-Mar-19 17:34:45

We had a lovely stay at Wyke Hill House...lovely grounds for walking.

bellsbuss Mon 11-Mar-19 17:39:58

Another vote for the Lygon arms, going back soon and I'm so excited. It's one of the loveliest hotels I've ever stayed in and the location is amazing.

user1471430558 Mon 11-Mar-19 18:16:28

The Ebrigton Arms was lovely with good food and fairly relaxed dress. Close to Stratford upon Avon & also Broadway , Chipping Camden.

AliceAforethought Mon 11-Mar-19 18:48:37

MIL used to live in Chipping Campden. It’s a lovely place, as is Broadway, Stow on the Wold, Bourton on the water, Stanton...
I miss this area so much.
If you do stay around that area, visit Snowshill Manor! smile

AliceAforethought Mon 11-Mar-19 18:50:13

*as are!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »