Talk

Advanced search

Is it normal to describe a 16 Y/O as a "naughty boy"?

(77 Posts)
spotifyhero Sun 10-Mar-19 15:19:28

Ok so a bit of context needed here

I have twins in Year 11, a girl and a boy. They are a bit of a pain, cheeky and a bit full of themselves, but generally nice kids (ha, what a lovely description from their DM)

Overheard some banter between DS and friends today where one of his mates called him a "naughty boy" then they were joking about how it was just like "Miss **" and was he getting turned on etc. (Not the conversation you want to overhear but I am pretty used to it with teenagers).

Anyway, I took the opportunity afterwards to ask my DD about this, I asked who the teacher was and about the comment, she just said "Oh yeh she just always calls him a naughty boy and it gets him gassed cus he fancies her".

Now, I know this is all teenage banter but iMO is it a bit weird for a teacher to be calling a 16 year old a "naughty boy"? To me that sounds like something you would call a small child. I don't want to over react but was just a bit confused about this whole thing. My teens think it's normal and funny but I'm not sure. I'm wondering if the teacher knows the attention this is getting?!

TheQueef Sun 10-Mar-19 15:22:22

Without being unduly harsh, if he fancies the teacher even if she said conjugating French verbs he would get a kick, teenage lads have too much testosterone wanging about.

spotifyhero Sun 10-Mar-19 15:35:15

Thanks @thequeef. I'm hoping that's the case and it's just him getting excited over a crush, which is fine!

PristineCondition Sun 10-Mar-19 15:39:21

Yeah, not really the teachers fault though is it? He's making it dirty.

BonBonVoyage Sun 10-Mar-19 15:44:02

She can't call him a badly behaved little bollix or whatever she'd like to. So probably has to go with an inoffensive reprimand and hope he cops himself on

spotifyhero Sun 10-Mar-19 15:50:31

I know it's him making it dirty, but I just can't personally imagine the context of her saying it. Why would a teacher say "you're a naughty boy" to a 16 year old? I just can't imagine the context. Maybe it's me, but in my opinion that kind of talking, to a 16 year old, could easily be taken the wrong way? Totally fair enough for younger children, but I would imagine for older kids you would word it differently, i.e to tell them they are being rude, or disrespectful, etc.

PristineCondition Sun 10-Mar-19 15:52:36

You could say window lock to a 16 year old and they could take it the wrong way.

It's for the kids to grow up not her

Mmmhmmm Sun 10-Mar-19 15:58:11

Your son fancies her not the other way around so maybe it hadn't occurred to her that calling him a naughty boy could be taken the wrong way. hmm

NaughtToThreeSadOnions Sun 10-Mar-19 16:00:08

Hes at school there for a child hes male -
A boy

He's behaving badly - being naughty so yes he's a naughty boy. Thats the context

As bon says what she wants to say is you're being a badly behaved little bollix or any more adult words going through her head.

Its teenage hormonal boys going "ooooohhhh you naughtay boooy" in a sexual tone.

stopitandtidyupp Sun 10-Mar-19 16:01:20

Agree I wouldn't say naughty boy but I do go around the class and ask who is going on the bad list for not doing homework. Would I call it the naughty list? Maybe near Christmas.

If someone was messing around. I would just tell them to stop being ridiculous or to listen. Calling them a naughty boy probably not but I am sure its not meant in a bad way.

youarenotkiddingme Sun 10-Mar-19 16:02:20

I get what you're saying. It's because 'you're a naughty boy' is often also associated with dirty talk between consenting adults during sex.

Probably isn't helping the situation because he fancies her.

But PP are correct - 16yo boys can twist anything when they are full of testosterone.

Maybe contact teacher and ask what your ds is doing and how you can support her to get him to behave himself in her class. And during that supportive conversation mention to her his mates are twisting the 'naughty boy' expression and you absolutely agree he needs publicly reprimanding but maybe a different phrase would have more effect - because you really don't want this behaviour encouraged by teenage banter and it to be used as a trophy for his bad behaviour.

spotifyhero Sun 10-Mar-19 16:07:17

@youarenotkiddingme this exactly! Thank you for getting it! I totally agree with her reprimanding his behaviour if he is being a pain, which I can imagine he can be, but I'm just not sure the current way is effective as him and his mates are clearly seeing it as way more entertaining and suggestive than it clearly is. I am wondering whether to contact her or school and just have a chat about what's going on and mention it. However I don't want to embarrass her and don't know if I'm over reacting.

I also don't want to be one of those parents who insists she change the way she is doing things, as if I know better. I just know DS is definitely getting way too much enjoyment and attention out of it.

PristineCondition Sun 10-Mar-19 16:10:16

So to not be one of those parents shouldn’t you be talking to your child about his behaviour rather than her.

stopitandtidyupp Sun 10-Mar-19 16:12:08

Actually I can't imagine saying you are a naught boy to even a year 7.

Hmmmm

Pupil- hits another student with ruler
Teacher- Stop being a naughty boy.

Me- Stop! Put it down and get on with the task.

I think all my year 11 classes would laugh if I called someone naughty.

Maybe it is best just left but monitor it as he is probably leaving in May anyway.

spotifyhero Sun 10-Mar-19 16:12:39

@pristinecondition
Yes but he will be like yeh sorry mum and it will make absolutely no difference to what he's like in school and around his friends! He's getting a kick out of it so I just feel like I should make her aware?

WBWIFE Sun 10-Mar-19 16:12:57

She probably doesnt even say thst to gim, his mates are probabky just having a laugh that he got told off by her or sent out, and said oh miss thinks youre a naughty boy.. but didn't actually say it?

spotifyhero Sun 10-Mar-19 16:17:13

@wbwife This is what I thought, but that's why I spoke to DD to check it out, and DD said she always says it to him. I don't think DD would make that up and they are in the same year at school.

OddCat Sun 10-Mar-19 16:19:11

You don't know the exact context of the statement though- I wouldn't make a big deal of it with the teacher but would be having a word with my son.

killpop Sun 10-Mar-19 16:19:39

What behaviour is he demonstrating to be called a "naughty boy"?

OddCat Sun 10-Mar-19 16:22:00

She might be taking the piss out of him. Who knows, I remember lots of my teachers having odd foibles and saying stuff that we thought funny .

titchy Sun 10-Mar-19 16:22:53

Yes of course you should talk to her - it should always be women who have to change what they say just in case some hormonal little scrote takes it the wrong way - of course it's her fault.

Or you could be a parent and fucking read the riot act to your little shit of a son.hmm

PristineCondition Sun 10-Mar-19 16:27:11

Your minimising your sons behaviour a lot here.

You don’t want to talk to him about it because he will be like yeah sorry mum, we’ll get There and parent and he might not be such a muppet
your letting him disrespect a woman In you house and just waking by, he’s not some cheeky toddler

Will you be happy for you daughter to be treated the same when she will you tell her to change her language and it’s just banter.

spotifyhero Sun 10-Mar-19 16:27:50

I don't know how he is behaving because I haven't been contacted by the school. Therefore I imagine the behaviour cannot be that bad, otherwise they would have contacted me surely.

This is why I don't want to go out of my way to call school about this because of a bit of hearsay. But also don't want to encourage this sexualised image my son and his friends clearly are having right now of this situation.

Thanks @titchy that's so helpful. NOT.

PristineCondition Sun 10-Mar-19 16:28:04

Well get in there.
Sorry, so many errors in that 🧐

Thankfuckitsfriday1 Sun 10-Mar-19 16:28:21

I don’t think that’s appropriate tbh.

I am imagining scenarios where this would be said and it’s odd in all cases. I wouldn’t call a 12 year old a naughty boy let alone a 16 year old who fancies his teacher.

Does she call any other child in her class naughty boy or naughty girl? That would really be the teller of if she’s saying it’s jist to him because she probably realises he fancies her it’s vey inappropriate but if she’s saying it to all kids, not as weird and not a big deal in my eyes

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: