Talk

Advanced search

Moving home

(13 Posts)
Lilmissmissy Sun 10-Mar-19 11:27:28

Hi guys! I am a mumsnet newbie!
So, basically my partner and i are moving we needed somewhere bigger as we are ttc.
The problem is, i am so nervous!?
The house we are currently in was my first home, i lived here on my own, ran a business and felt like i basically conqueured the world here.
But this new house is so much better- so why am i constantly crying at the thought of a new chapter?
I am constantly nervous at the thought of moving.
I do suffer from major anxiety and PTSD as i left a abusive relationship 2 years ago- again i conquered all that in this house i am currently in.
Please tell me i am not a total loser for being super emotional? Or am i lol?

tealcoat Sun 10-Mar-19 11:30:47

YANBU! Maybe put house moving on the back burner and wait until your family has actually out grown the house?!

It would mean moving with a baby but it might make it much easier for you to let go if it becomes very clear that it's time to move on.

Lilmissmissy Sun 10-Mar-19 11:34:40

Thanks for replying!
The problem is we need to move as the house is way too small for us- i thought i was mentally prepared for it and i got so excited when i viewed the new house. But then i came downstairs this morning sat and cried into my coffee just thinking of changes. I think maybe when the ball gets going i may be too busy to over think

Dera1234 Sun 10-Mar-19 11:46:30

Just wanted to reassure you that it's okay. I'm on the second day of our house move and the anxiety is starting to kick in for me too. I've always suffered anxiety and change freaks me out. I always get so excited for the move,and like you we desperately need more space. It's hard to leave your happy little bubble you made and move into unchartered territory but it'll be fine. Just focus on making the new place feel like home as quickly as possible. You'll be fine, and you'll conquer it all again this time smile sending lots of luck and happy thoughts your way smile

Dera1234 Sun 10-Mar-19 11:47:37

Would also like to add we moved off a tiny boat last time into a house whilst I was pregnant, and I was so looking forward to a bath, not feeling cold, a washing machine and a normal amount of space and I still cried when I realised I wouldn't be spending another night in my little safe space. So no, you're not a loser at all!

Lilmissmissy Sun 10-Mar-19 12:32:37

Thank you so much! You have made me feel loads better. I get way too attached to things but i know il be fine. Hit the nail on the head with unchartered territory that is definately why i am super nervous. Thanks again xxx

FullOfJellyBeans Sun 10-Mar-19 12:50:39

I felt really sad when I bought my home and moved in. No idea why it's nicer than the place we were renting, and in the same area. I think if you suffer from anxiety a change of home is more likely to throw you a bit. The feelings subsided fairly quickly and now I'm much happier!

pigsDOfly Sun 10-Mar-19 13:03:58

Try to focus on the positive aspects of the move and what you have to look forward to in your new home: more space, hopefully a new member of the family etc etc, instead of thinking about what you're leaving behind.

Moving house is considered one of the most stressful things in life so it's not surprising you might feel worried and overwhelmed about it.

Your current house has served it's purpose well but this move is a further chapter in your bid to go on 'conquering the world' and that can only be a good thing.

Dera1234 Sun 10-Mar-19 23:58:39

@lilmissmissy it's so hard. I spend our first night in our new home tomorrow then DH is away overnight with work. I'm super worried but fortunately his DM is awesome and staying with us to help watch DS. You'll be grand. Just take each day as it comes. Turn to your DP for support and remember it's the next step for your lovely little family. It'll all work out xx

CoraCoo Mon 11-Mar-19 00:05:13

I'm really keen to move house, I've just spent the whole weekend cleaning out and sorting through belongings and making the place look nice as we have two valuations tomorrow, I'm so keen to move... but now I've made it all look so nice again I'm feeling a bit sad. I'm not sure I want to!

I love my house, I've conquered many things within it, grown and learned a lot, brought my 2 babies home to it but we're outgrowing it and it's not the right location for a young family.

So i get you, I'm excited for something new but scared to leave something safe and familiar behind.

TheBouquets Mon 11-Mar-19 00:22:14

I have to move too. I have physical problems which makes it very hard to stay in my house. I have to find a house which is more convenient given my current state of health. I dont seem to be able to find a house I really really want.
It is a huge consideration I think to leave a place where you have found peace and safety. Being sensible is one thing but there is an emotional tie which seems to stop me moving on.
I suppose it is a question of hoisting the big girl pants and facing life and life changes

cloudymelonade Mon 11-Mar-19 01:05:45

I've been through the exact same OP. I regularly cried at the thought of leaving my old home but there was just no way we could stay there.

I found it really helped to pick some key items from around the home eg my favourite armchair and some pictures and I made sure they were displayed prominently in the new home. It looked totally alien and surreal at first but became normal sooner that you'd think smile

You conquered the world in the last home, go conquer the universe in the next! thanks

Lilmissmissy Mon 11-Mar-19 10:52:15

Thank you everyone, its made me feel a lot better reading your stories too. I am not an emotional person but i want to do is cry, just because i hate change and the stress of it all and to top it off we will only be in the new house a few weeks and then we are going abroad on holiday. I know i should be excited but i just think its just so much in such little time. My nerves are going crazy lol. Thanks guys! Xxx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »