Talk

Advanced search

Should I have made him say please?

(8 Posts)
Cantthinkofanythingrightnow Sun 10-Mar-19 11:10:35

My DS age 6 has high functioning autism. On a good day he seems like a 'normal' kid, and on a bad day he cries all day and wont talk and just clings to me. Today has been bad.

I've taken him to rock climbing class with younger DS. In the drink queue at break, another kid went in front because she's leaving early, which is fine, but my DS thinks she's pushed in the queue. He is very black and white about rules. So essentially this sets him off.

We get to the (20 year old climber) guy and I ask if he can have a drink please. DS is under my scarf. The guy says only if he says please. I explain he's autistic and cant talk right now but that I'm saying please, and my other DS is saying please. The guy says no he's able to ask he asked the other week. I said that's not how autism works, he sulked and by now there's a queue and people have overheard. Eventually gave me the drink.

Was IBU? Should I make a complaint? If it was my 'normal' DS or DD I would have course made them ask but trying to make an autistic kid do anything is impossible. I'm so annoyed at the guy and myself and autism and just trying not to be annoyed at DS sad

DisplayPurposesOnly Sun 10-Mar-19 11:14:08

Climber guy is a twat. Yes, make a complaint.

DisplayPurposesOnly Sun 10-Mar-19 11:16:19

To be clear, climber guy was a twat regardless of your son's autism. You the adult were requesting a drink for a small child - it's you who the guy was dealing with.

PotteringAlong Sun 10-Mar-19 11:16:40

I agree. Climber guy was a knobber. Complain.

dontlikebeards Sun 10-Mar-19 11:16:55

YNBU , I have a 5 year who isn't autistic but very shy and I would never push her to speak in a situation where she didn't want to so that stands even more in your situation.

ShawshanksRedemption Sun 10-Mar-19 11:16:57

They need training on customer service (because they were rude to you as you has said please) and also inclusion training.

So yes, make a complaint.

Waveysnail Sun 10-Mar-19 11:21:13

I would be giving them some asd literacy and how it works and that futher training is needed

2rachtint Sun 10-Mar-19 11:24:36

This is rude regardless - you were asking and said please (and anyway, - it's not his job to enforce manners when parents are present). I'd definitely let the centre management know.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »