Talk

Advanced search

Shameless post for traffic but bunk beds

(13 Posts)
Bugsymalonemumof2 Sat 09-Mar-19 23:41:29

So in my week of wonderful parenting my 4 year old has tonight fallen out of the top bunk of a truffing ikea bunk (I chose it because it is lower than most and I have no room) and has badly smashed her face.

Lesson learnt so she's not going in it again. What are alternatives for bunk beds for rooms with no room for two singles?

Posting for traffic so I can buy a new bed tomorrow

Pigpogtastic Sat 09-Mar-19 23:44:43

Oh poor thing. Could you fit two singles side by side with no gap? Or a small double? Or maybe two shorter beds placed at right angles?

Or a trundle bed so one can be pushed under the other during the day for floor space?

aibutohavethisusername Sat 09-Mar-19 23:44:50

Could your other child go on the top bunk?

Tiredmumno1 Sat 09-Mar-19 23:46:32

I hope your dd is ok now.

Would something like this work Argos

Bugsymalonemumof2 Sat 09-Mar-19 23:50:13

The other child is only 2. They have the biggest room but it has inbuilt furniture I can't remove which makes it bloody awkward. Then the second room only has room for my single.

Pigpogtastic Sat 09-Mar-19 23:53:44

What about an even lower bunk? If you search for "very low bunk beds" you get some where the bottom is basically on the floor. So everything is lower.

How did the 4 year old fall out? Maybe there is something you can do to the current bunk to make it safer?

LilQueenie Sat 09-Mar-19 23:55:50

bunk beds, even the mini half size ones are for 6 years and up.

chocolatespiders Sat 09-Mar-19 23:55:56

I bought a small single shorty bed and slept in it until a few years ago whilst I shared a room with my dd. Something like that may work.

LilQueenie Sat 09-Mar-19 23:57:22

could you get a single bed with pull out trundle bed underneath. that way you can put it away when not in use to save space.

Bugsymalonemumof2 Sun 10-Mar-19 00:01:04

This was as low as it goes and she was fast asleep and somehow whilst wiggling went over the side, understandably even if I found a suitable bunk she spent half an hour begging me "mummy please don't make me go in a high bed again" and "mummy why didnt you stop me fall" so bunks are an absolute no go.

I think the ikea extendable ones look an option, just financing new beds AND new mattresses.

Lesson learnt the hard way sad

DianaPrincessOfThemyscira Sun 10-Mar-19 00:06:51

Put the mattress on the floor and let her sleep on that. Slide it under the bed when not in use. When she’s ready to go on the top bunk again, maybe turn it so the ladder bit is against the wall and fit one on the end?

My boys are 10 and 7 and all sleep on bunks (although the 7 year old is on the bottom on a very low bunk) they’ve never fallen out of the top, I think it’s that opening in the middle which is not great.

AwakeNow Sun 10-Mar-19 05:56:13

Trundle bed, or put them on one bed? A small double takes up less space 5han 2 singles, if they still sell small doubles. (Also known as a 3/4 bed by some)
Or put one child in each bdrm, and you sleep in livingroom?

AuntMarch Sun 10-Mar-19 06:13:39

Put her in your bed and you have the bunk until you can find a practical affordable solution. Don't panic buy something and waste money X

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »