Talk

Advanced search

To ask what Kate Middleton is really like?

(324 Posts)
Cocopops2010 Sat 09-Mar-19 17:45:06

Just that really. I know some of you will think ‘who cares?’ but I find her kind of intriguing. Always so well turned out/groomed, very poised, polite...I wonder what her real personality is? How does she manage so much scrutiny?

ColeHawlins Thu 14-Mar-19 08:01:52

* Well if we're picking faults then, what sort of job did the Queen do before she became Queen then? Not much really.*

You do understand the difference between an heir presumptive and a random graduate commoner in their twenties? And between the norms for a woman born in the 1920s v a woman born in the 1980s? The Queen wasn't even allowed to go to school in the normal way.

ClaireElizabethBeuchampFraser Thu 14-Mar-19 08:04:06

I don’t know why everyone assumes she did nothing between graduating and marrying William- I remember reading multiple times that she worked in her parents business. (Which makes a lot of sense to me!)

www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/1057240/kate-middeton-job-family-carole-middleton-duchess-of-cambridge

As well as working as an accessories buyer for Jigsaw in London

www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/reports/a13126765/kate-middleton-job-before-royal-life/

But perhaps that isn’t enough for those determined to hate her.

ColeHawlins Thu 14-Mar-19 08:05:12

* I think that not having a career or even a proper job impacted very negatively on her as it was evident from the early engagements she had difficulty relating to people and seemed extremely nervous and under-confident.*

More silliness. "Difficulty relating to people"? She'd been bumming around with rich folk, not in solitary confinement underground. She's shy, that's all.
The problem with her not working was it made her look lazy/clingy/purposeless, not that it stunted her social development. confused

ColeHawlins Thu 14-Mar-19 08:07:59

* But perhaps that isn’t enough for those determined to hate her.*

Part time at jigsaw very briefly, also part time at mummy's business when it fitted around her social life. We all know, it's been done to death. We don't need links.

People comment on it because of how different it is to the average early career of a graduate.

MurielBennett Thu 14-Mar-19 08:39:36

I know that they can't win whatever they do but I just feel so disappointed with the current young women of the RF. It would be so lovely to have one with a real job or profession behind her who wears the same clothes week in week out which cost 2 figures not 4.

Obloodyhell Thu 14-Mar-19 09:18:45

But if they worked, there would be people deliberately trying to trip them up so that they could sell the story to the press.

I asked for coffee and Kate made me tea even though I put the emphasis on EE so that she couldn’t hear me properly oh look, Daily Mail sad face.

PineapplePower Thu 14-Mar-19 09:37:15

t I just feel so disappointed with the current young women of the RF

I had higher hopes for Meghan as she seems to have a good work ethic and has issues she is enthusiastic about. Hopefully she had learned to ease up on the clothing budget ...

Happyspud Thu 14-Mar-19 09:45:09

All I can say as fact is that she handles her public persona and role with grace and professionalism.

I can guess she’s a decent person in private from her public appearances and any fifth hand info about her.

LuciaSpain Thu 14-Mar-19 10:33:27

None of us know what any of them are like. Their role is to window dress and use PR spin, so none of us know.

I can't quite fathom how her early work ethic is so different from her mother's. I can only guess that she bought into the role of William's partner very early in her 20's and decided that was her path. Even now with how she is dressing for the history books, it looks like she is buying into the role further and further. I don't think she has any interest on being an individual but a consort.

I don't respect the lack of work ethic and many other aspects of what I think I know of her because I think the concept of royalty is farcical.
Those that accept royalty will be happy with her I'd imagine, she is carrying out her role well. It doesn't make her worthless though, I think calling anyone worthless is nasty.

As for Harry's speech, what an embarrassment, of course Meghan wrote it. Very disrespectful on past generations, I thought he would know better having been in the forces. As for this generation being 'woke', give me strength!!

ZaraW Thu 14-Mar-19 11:07:29

After 300 plus responses none of us know what she's like reading Hello! and the Daily Fail don't count.

TalkinPaece Thu 14-Mar-19 14:00:41

Zara
I think you will find several posters on this thread do know what she is like but are too polite to divulge exactly how they know.

Katherine and William were very canny early on feeding tittle tattle to friends to see what turned up in the press and thus who they can trust.
They now have a group of friends who keep their mouths shut.
And their kids happily at a school that enforces the same.

GoFiguire Thu 14-Mar-19 14:06:49

What’s that MNHQ line? Not everyone on the internet is who they seem?

Puzzledandpissedoff Thu 14-Mar-19 14:12:43

The Queen trained as, and then worked full time as, a car mechanic and military truck driver during WW2, albeit for a short time

It was indeed a very short time, but reports suggest that she also had to sit apart from her fellow trainees and go home to a palace every night - apparently the King had the vapours over the very idea of her actually living among her peers

I know it was a different time, but at least the current, younger royals treat others as if they belong to the same species ...

ZaraW Thu 14-Mar-19 14:28:02

Talkin or some posters just make stuff up nobody knows.

PineapplePower Thu 14-Mar-19 16:26:30

And their kids happily at a school that enforces the same

Are you saying this is the one school where you can’t talk shite about each other at the school gate?

GrimDamnFanjo Thu 14-Mar-19 16:32:27

Regarding Kate's post university work, I recall reading somewhere that she had to be at Williams beck and call making it impossible to have a normal job.
I think they had reached an understanding that they would marry eventually so there was little point training for a career.

TalkinPaece Thu 14-Mar-19 16:36:27

Pineapple
Are you saying this is the one school where you can’t talk shite about each other at the school gate?
Have you met their head of security? wink He's scary grin

glindathegoodbitch Thu 14-Mar-19 16:37:14

Knew her a long long time ago- not in touch now.
Absolutely marvelous. Really lovely, sweet and extremely kind.

She was always going places- she worked super hard. Wouldn't have thought for a million years she'd end up as royalty. So funny to think that now!

She never liked being compared to anyone- v.competitive family often gives you that kind of thinking- now she's compared daily to everyone and everything. Must be hard.

In a nutshell- Fab.

Whitney168 Thu 14-Mar-19 16:39:51

It's interesting that on another post on here this week, the OP felt uncomfortable with a friend who was (apparently) financially supported by her husband and was able to choose how to fill her days at leisure. At the stage I read the thread, the OP was being roundly chastised for just being jealous, and lots of posters agreed that they would love the same lifestyle if it were possible ...

Royal or major celebrity life is just not 'normal' and they come with their own benefits and drawbacks. Not many are going to really be able to comprehend it.

thedisorganisedmum Thu 14-Mar-19 16:43:26

I do love how some posters are just making things up as they go along.grin

anniehm Thu 14-Mar-19 16:54:08

A friends grandkids went to nursery with George, apparently she was really nice to the other parents and went shopping locally. I think it's harder in London for them though as the press is so intense

AirBiscuit Thu 14-Mar-19 16:58:21

I used to be on the same mud wrestling team as Kate. She was nice as pie until she got her game face on then - pow - she would turn into an absolute ogre. She was unbeaten until we fought against a team from Germany and she was well beaten by Angela Merkel.

Dapplegrey Thu 14-Mar-19 18:33:56

Talkin or some posters just make stuff up nobody knows.

I think this is the most likely.

user1457017537 Thu 14-Mar-19 20:59:35

Hundreds of people must have met her and been able to form an opinion. Staff at Amner, Sandringham, Balmoral, KP and BP. All the people who work in fashion who have dressed her. Royal Protection officers and drivers. Teachers.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »