Talk

Advanced search

To not understand why bullfighting still happens

(61 Posts)
HeathRobinson Sat 09-Mar-19 14:30:34

Trail hunting happens, not fox.

Ellenborough Sat 09-Mar-19 14:27:17

However, I have also spent a lot of time in Spain and read around this issue and you need to understand how deeply ingrained bullfighting is in their culture and psyche.

The idea of Banning bullfighting is very offensive to many Spanish people and an attack on their national identity by a bunch of soft new age lefties who have no idea what it is to be truely Spanish ( paraphrasing here but you get the idea)

That can be applied to just about everything abhorrent that is done in the name of tradition, culture or religion. Doesn't make it right.

Holiday1578 Sat 09-Mar-19 14:27:06

Heath- unfortunately fox hunting still happens

Holiday1578 Sat 09-Mar-19 14:25:21

lljkk- that’s good if it is dying out

HeathRobinson Sat 09-Mar-19 14:24:51

In the same vein, tradition etc, I never understood how they managed to ban fox hunting in the UK.

lljkk Sat 09-Mar-19 14:23:35

ps: it is dying out. Most hispanics view it as a historical peculiarity.

lljkk Sat 09-Mar-19 14:22:51

Those bulls have utterly fantastic lives until the last few hours (transport isn't fun, & last 20 minutes which I'll freely agree amounts to tormenting them to death). Total quality of life is wildly much better than being a typical British beef bullock, I reckon.

Since I eat beef (& drink milk), I can pass no judgement on bull-fighting. I am partly responsible for much worse treatment of cows.

Hoppinggreen Sat 09-Mar-19 14:22:18

I hate any form of animal cruelty and would never go anywhere near a bull fight
However, I have also spent a lot of time in Spain and read around this issue and you need to understand how deeply ingrained bullfighting is in their culture and psyche. It dates back to the Mithras Cult of the 1st century onwards that was prevelant across a lot of Southern Europe and is in some ways part of what it is to be Spanish for the older generation. The idea of Banning bullfighting is very offensive to many Spanish people and an attack on their national identity by a bunch of soft new age lefties who have no idea what it is to be truely Spanish ( paraphrasing here but you get the idea)
Of course it is also big business for breeders and bullring owners ( which are often municipal) not to mention the cult of celebrity around bullfighters.
I would love for it to be banned but I can see why it hasn’t been yet and is unlikely to some time. If you want to learn more about it read something by Jason Webster, who also writes about the Moorish influences and Flamenco. He’s an America who’s lived in Spain for many years and offers a fascinating insight into the country that goes much deeper than you get from a 2 week Holiday on The Costa Del Sol

Holiday1578 Sat 09-Mar-19 14:14:51

I just thought it would have been phased out by now as it’s so cruel

dudsville Sat 09-Mar-19 14:10:29

While i agree with your sentiment, every awful thing "still" happens. Humans have the capacity to be terrible.

Holiday1578 Sat 09-Mar-19 14:07:42

Saw an upsetting picture on Twitter of the bullfighter and some official looking people in the front row laughing as a bull collapses and dies
Is anyone from or live in a country where bullfighting still takes place ? I don’t understand why there aren’t enough people against it for it to stop

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »