Talk

Advanced search

To ask if you've cancelled your tv license...

(91 Posts)
rollingdowntheslide Sat 09-Mar-19 12:52:54

Did anyone come round and demand to come in?

I've heard things before about burly tv license folk demanding to come in and see if you have a TV.

Which we do, but we don't watch much tv and barely use the bbc I player at the moment. Can't remember the last bbc program Qe watched. We'd obviously stop watching the bbc all together when we have no license.

It's due soon and I'm reluctant to pay out £150 odd quid on something we barely use and could easily cut out.

Bookaree Sun 10-Mar-19 08:12:45

I don’t understand why people would happily pay for Netflix rather than the BBC.
I preferred what was on my online subscriptions, different strokes.

Pk37 Sun 10-Mar-19 08:15:20

CheshireChat
It’s not incorrect , it said it on the tv licence site and any site about students and tv licences

BiglyBadgers Sun 10-Mar-19 08:42:52

I don’t understand why people would happily pay for Netflix rather than the BBC.

I don't often feel a huge urge to watch a lot of the BBC stuff. Netflix is cheaper than the licence fee and some of the Netflix original stuff is really very good.

We currently have Netflix and Amazon prime and then get Now TV on and off if there is something we really want to watch on it. This gives us access to a lot of things we wouldn't be able to watch if we only had a TV licence. If the BBC had a cheaper option for just catch up you could pay on a monthly basis we would probably pay for it when they had specific things on, but not all the time. We don't own an actual TV and never watch live.

Danni91 Sun 10-Mar-19 08:53:39

Netflix / Prime has things more to my liking and the BBC does not.
Don't often watch the television and when i do get enough time I like to binge watch a series.
Paying the TV licence is like you paying for netflix and not watching it
Pretty pointless isnt it? grin

topcat2014 Sun 10-Mar-19 08:59:38

Glad I don't work in tv licencing, as I just would not believe anyone who had a tv in their lounge and an aerial on the roof who said they did not watch it.

NameChanger22 Sun 10-Mar-19 09:04:09

I have a TV licence but I hardly watch TV, never BBC, just Netflix and YouTube most of the time. I begrudge paying it, but I don't dare get rid of my TV licence while I still have a TV in the house, I couldn't cope with the stress of it. Maybe when my TV breaks I won't bother replacing it and I'll get rid of the licence.

x2boys Sun 10-Mar-19 09:06:20

It doesn't matter wether they believe or don't believe e that s someone is watching tv Topcat ,they would have to prove it,and a tv isn't evidence as lots of people use them for internet access, prime tv Netflix etc and neither is an aerial when we moved into my house there was already an aerial I assume it's been there for years?

NigelGresley Sun 10-Mar-19 09:46:12

My comment has been taken out of context which misses the point I was trying to make. Would Netflix be able to exist if it wasn’t riding on the success and work of other providers, some of which benefit from TV licence funding?

I find Netflix quite inconsistent, I might subscribe for 3 or 4 months but after that find I’ve exhausted everything of interest and I don’t even watch that much TV.

Anyhow I gather a UK version of Netflix is going to be launched this year called BritBox.

Bookaree Sun 10-Mar-19 09:51:40

Would Netflix be able to exist if it wasn’t riding on the success and work of other providers, some of which benefit from TV licence funding?
Most of their funding now goes towards original content variety.com/2018/digital/news/netflix-original-spending-85-percent-1202809623/

BiglyBadgers Sun 10-Mar-19 09:53:15

Would Netflix be able to exist if it wasn’t riding on the success and work of other providers, some of which benefit from TV licence funding?

Honestly, it's hard to say at this stage. They are getting more and more recognition for their own stuff (including the recent Oscar) and now produce a huge amount of content of their own. They are very coy about viewing figures though so hard to say if they would be sustainable without content from other services.

All the same I don't really see that as an argument for me to get a TV licence. As Netflix will be paying the BBC for the content it uses, having a TV licence would mean I am paying for that content twice.

Sheogorath Sun 10-Mar-19 11:03:48

"I don’t understand why people would happily pay for Netflix rather than the BBC."

Because Netflix is cheaper and there's more stuff I want to watch. Not that complicated.

"Glad I don't work in tv licencing, as I just would not believe anyone who had a tv in their lounge and an aerial on the roof who said they did not watch it."

I'm glad you don't too. I live in a rented flat that has an aerial and have a TV for Netflix and gaming. It's really not an unusual situation.

"Would Netflix be able to exist if it wasn’t riding on the success and work of other providers, some of which benefit from TV licence funding?"

Maybe not, but I don't see how that matters. They pay for that content, presumably out of money from subscription fees.

NigelGresley Sun 10-Mar-19 15:18:07

TV licence £150 per year, compared to £80 per year for a much more limited range of content on Netflix.
Doesn’t add up to me but if people prefer that then fine!

Sheogorath Sun 10-Mar-19 15:19:22

Limited to you maybe. But as I said, there's much more stuff that I personally want to watch on there, including some BBC content.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Sun 10-Mar-19 15:34:39

Because I 99% of what of what I was watching was on Netflix and very little of it was on BBC. And Netflix was les than half the price. It was a bit of a no brainer considering I can’t afford them both.

BelfastSmile Sun 10-Mar-19 15:38:05

This was a decade ago, but I cancelled mine and had no trouble. A guy came round, I showed him that the tv was hidden behind the Christmas tree, but offered to turn it on to show him it wasn't tuned in. He said not to worry, and went away.

Pumpkinheadmisfits Thu 14-Mar-19 18:15:43

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »