Talk

Advanced search

To ask if you've cancelled your tv license...

(91 Posts)
rollingdowntheslide Sat 09-Mar-19 12:52:54

Did anyone come round and demand to come in?

I've heard things before about burly tv license folk demanding to come in and see if you have a TV.

Which we do, but we don't watch much tv and barely use the bbc I player at the moment. Can't remember the last bbc program Qe watched. We'd obviously stop watching the bbc all together when we have no license.

It's due soon and I'm reluctant to pay out £150 odd quid on something we barely use and could easily cut out.

Cantrememberwhoiam Sat 09-Mar-19 21:05:51

You only need a licence for your smart phone, or lap top, or Xbox for example, if you admit to an enquiry officer at your door that you watch live tv on it. And then agree to buy one.

BeanTownNancy Sat 09-Mar-19 20:58:15

*The licence money is for the BBC
You have to have one for any device that can receive BBC whether you you choose to watch it or not.*

Nah, you have to actually watch live TV or the iPlayer. My car is capable of going over 30mph (over 70mph even, for that matter) but the police can't issue me with preemptive speeding fines just because I could break the law, I have to actually speed. Same thing really.

killpop Sat 09-Mar-19 19:48:36

I filled in the declaration online to say I didn't need a licence. A few weeks later someone came to my door and asked if they could check my circumstances. Why would they have to demand entry? I invited them in and confirmed we didn't have access to live TV ( could show them we had no aerial ) They gave me a letter that I could show anyone who asked again in the next two years and said after that they may need to visit again.
Was very simple really, because I knew I was doing nothing wrong.

ginghamstarfish Sat 09-Mar-19 19:43:58

Cancelled about 3 years ago, had no problems. After a couple of years I think they send a declaration form to sign, which I would have binned but DH said better to do it. I would certainly not let anyone in if they ever came to the door. Glad not to be paying it, don't miss it and the few dramas I'm interested in come up on Netflix etc.

PettyContractor Sat 09-Mar-19 19:39:59

However you need a license for any device capable of watching live TV

So everyone with (for example) a Smartphone needs a licence? I don't think so.

I've just checked licensing web site, and there's nothing in the conditions that relates need to have a license to what equipment you own.

scaryteacher Sat 09-Mar-19 19:32:40

Knew I'd seen this somewhere - I've copied it below as it's behind the DT paywall.

The TV licence is firmly at the top of the news agenda again after the BBC announced plans this week to increase it by £4 a year to £154.50.

Currently costing £150.50 it is required by anyone who wants to watch live TV or catch up via BBC iPlayer and funds the programming created by the state broadcaster.

But a little-known loophole means students could be unwittingly putting themselves at risk of a £1,000 fine if they misunderstand the rules around licences.

The legislation allows students living away at university to be covered by their parent's home licence if they are watching live TV, or iPlayer, on “devices powered by their own battery”.

This rule is designed to allow those who want to watch live TV on-the-go on a laptop or tablet to do so without risk of prosecution, as long as they have paid for a licence covering their home address.

However, plugging in a laptop while using it to watch live TV could be the difference between complying with the law and breaking it.

The TV Licensing website offers guidance to students that says they will be covered so long as the device is not connected to an aerial or plugged into the mains. This leads to a bizarre scenario in which a student watching TV on their laptop is covered by their parents’ licence, but as soon as they plug it into the mains they are no longer covered.

A spokesman said: “The provision in the legislation (about equipment being powered by its own batteries) is the same provision which enables someone to be covered to watch television on any equipment used away from their address as long as they have a licence at home.

“This means you’re covered to watch TV on your phone or laptop for example, when you’re on the go. If you plug the equipment in, the provision no longer applies. This [is] due to the way in which TV Licensing legislation is drafted.”

You will need a TV licence if you intend to watch live programmes or BBC iPlayer while at university on a device that is plugged in. If you have a shared tenancy agreement one licence should cover the entire property, but if your tenancy agreement covers only your room you will need a licence of your own.

You can apply for a refund if you don’t need a licence for an entire year. The maximum fine for watching live TV without a TV licence is £1,000.

YetAnotherUser Sat 09-Mar-19 19:19:28

There are even some instances where you can use the iPlayer without a licence. I believe it's within the rules to use the iPlayer for the radio, and to watch S4C.

flirtygirl Sat 09-Mar-19 18:46:14

So much misinformation but many have been correct.

You only need a TV licence if you watch live TV, any live TV including foreign channels and/or use BBC I player.

You do not need a TV licence for anything else.

Sheogorath Sat 09-Mar-19 18:21:33

"Yes, the licence money funds the BBC. However you need a license for any device capable of watching live TV. Including ITV, Channel 4, Dave, and Babestation."

Not true. I have a TV that's capable of watching live, but since I don't use it to watch live TV I don't need a license.

Bookaree Sat 09-Mar-19 18:15:13

I haven't had a TV licence in years, only had one of thr salesmen turn up at my old house, I said no thank you and shut the door.

Cantrememberwhoiam Sat 09-Mar-19 18:09:59

@CheshireCat Yes, sorry, you do need a licence if you are streaming 'live' tv. They have no way of policing this tho!

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Sat 09-Mar-19 18:06:10

If they come round, you don't need to let them in. They would need to get a court order to enter without your consent, and they will only get that if there is evidence suggesting you are fraudulently watching live TV/ iplayer., which there won't be if you aren't.

Dh did let a TV licence inspector in once and she was only there for 2 mins, polite, although she did try to catch him out "oh did you see the match last night?" "Do you like doctor who, did you see it on Saturday"....

DownstairsMixUp Sat 09-Mar-19 18:03:31

Same as previous pp they have no power if they knock just say "I'm not interested in your subscription" and close the door.

DownstairsMixUp Sat 09-Mar-19 17:58:19

Cancelled ages ago, haven't paid for years. They have no power. People are cottoning on.

cardibach Sat 09-Mar-19 17:54:31

Where I live I can’t receive terrestrial TV. Hacks me off that I have to pay for some other platform/buy a smart tv/faff about with a laptop and wires to watch live tv or BBC but they still demand the licence fee.

jimmyhill Sat 09-Mar-19 17:52:56

*The licence money is for the BBC
You have to have one for any device that can receive BBC whether you you choose to watch it or not.*

Yes, the licence money funds the BBC. However you need a license for any device capable of watching live TV. Including ITV, Channel 4, Dave, and Babestation.

IN ADDITION, you need a licence if you do not have equipment capable of receiving live TV, BUT you use BBC iPlayer. You do not need the licence for other streaming services.

Limensoda Sat 09-Mar-19 17:49:10

Actually, just found this...

www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/tv-licence/

Limensoda Sat 09-Mar-19 17:40:50

It's a TV licence not a BBC subscription

The licence money is for the BBC
You have to have one for any device that can receive BBC whether you you choose to watch it or not.

CheshireChat Sat 09-Mar-19 17:38:02

Cantrememberwhoiam even if you stream live content or am I misunderstanding what you're saying?

SnowyDaze Sat 09-Mar-19 17:36:10

Interesting thread. We don’t watch live tv, but I do watch iPlayer, so basically I’m paying £12.50 a month for the BBC!! It doesn’t seem good value. I may just stick with Netflix and Prime and skip iPlayer and save the money instead!! Thanks OP

x2boys Sat 09-Mar-19 17:35:38

Day no thanks*

x2boys Sat 09-Mar-19 17:34:56

If you do*

x2boys Sat 09-Mar-19 17:34:15

Answer if they do knock*

x2boys Sat 09-Mar-19 17:32:16

Dont answering they do knock or if ok do answer as no thanks ,the have no rights at all just ignore them

Tiscold Sat 09-Mar-19 17:31:26

You open the door, they identify themselves and then you close the door on them.

You don't have to speak to them, listen to them or let them in.
They have no powers to enter your property without going through the courts to get a search warrant, and if they've no evidence how are they going to do that?

If you're politer then i am, open the door, they indentify themselves, you answer the questions, say you don't watch live tv or any catch up tv and no i won't grant permission for a stranger to wlak around my house and good bye

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »