Talk

Advanced search

To ask if you've cancelled your tv license...

(91 Posts)
rollingdowntheslide Sat 09-Mar-19 12:52:54

Did anyone come round and demand to come in?

I've heard things before about burly tv license folk demanding to come in and see if you have a TV.

Which we do, but we don't watch much tv and barely use the bbc I player at the moment. Can't remember the last bbc program Qe watched. We'd obviously stop watching the bbc all together when we have no license.

It's due soon and I'm reluctant to pay out £150 odd quid on something we barely use and could easily cut out.

jimmyhill Sat 09-Mar-19 12:56:45

we'd obviously stop watching the bbc all together when we have no license.

You have to stop watching ALL live TV when you stop paying a TV licence, in addition to not using iPlayer.

It's a TV licence not a BBC subscription.

TheQueef Sat 09-Mar-19 12:56:52

Nope I emailed and rescinded any implied right of access for tv licensing and their agents.
I don't watch live telly and am fully capable of deciding wether I need a licence.
I manage with fishing licensing and fun licensing and they don't knock round.
(Can you tell it makes me cross they send Capita? Even more so because I work for capita in a different role)

ADHMeeee Sat 09-Mar-19 12:57:36

I've only had a license sincs xmas and that's because we moved in with my boyfriend.

So for a good........ Nearly seven years I think, I didn't bother with a license. Only ever had anyone come out twice and both times I was able to show them that not only were we not hooked up to any cables, but that we didn't have iPlayer on the xboxes either.

We did use iPlayer's catch up until they changed the rules to say you had to have a license for that as well.

By that point, we were using netflix, DVDs and youtube.

rollingdowntheslide Sat 09-Mar-19 12:57:38

To clarify we don't watch any live tv. Only catch up on itv occasionally and channel 4. We mainly use amazon prime.

Is that allowed?

NannyR Sat 09-Mar-19 12:58:25

I cancelled mine a year ago. I filled something in on line to say I didn't need one and then I got quite a strongly worded letter that said I was risking a fine.
I called them up and spoke to them and they were absolutely fine about it - they asked me a few questions about what I watched, then noted on my record that I didn't need one and said just to ignore any further letters.

Bobbycat121 Sat 09-Mar-19 13:01:24

Ive never had one and im 30 been living alone since 16 😂

x2boys Sat 09-Mar-19 13:04:31

You don't have to.let them in ,we have had people turn u p.remark if they can come in just as no.

Danni91 Sat 09-Mar-19 13:05:12

Yeah go on the website and click 'do not require a licence' and they will not contact you for 2 years.
And tbh it doesn't even matter if you do watch live tv - they can not and do not know this. Your tele will still work fine without it!

I just cancelled mine too and stated it on the website. I only use prime / netflix also! smile

Custardo Sat 09-Mar-19 13:09:03

i dont have a telly but it is possible to watch live tv on a computer - and i dont understand how you can argue against a license - as they would say i had access to watching live tv - i always wondered how i would get round this

i have previouly not minded at all about paying as it is (for me) a ssmall sum I have always like that there is the bbc to counter the large media empires and the mesages we recieve. however i feel the bbc have an agenda at the moment and i dont like it

IWantChocolates Sat 09-Mar-19 13:13:52

We've just bought a house we're not living in yet. The previous tenants moved out last autumn and there were several letters about a license put through the door since. The last time I went round there was a card saying someone had visited to talk to us about our lack of license. It made me laugh because as you walk up to the front door they're are no curtains in the living room and it's obvious there is absolutely no furniture in there whatsoever! They're welcome to come round again. We're not moving in for another two months at least.

Meretricious Sat 09-Mar-19 13:15:14

www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

x2boys Sat 09-Mar-19 13:16:12

Not really Custardo ,I n times gone by if you had a T.V chances are you were watching live tv these days people use tv to watch Netflix ,on Demand etc people have smart tv,s that they can use for internet access ,you tube etc

Louisianna16 Sat 09-Mar-19 13:16:12

I cxd it last October. There were a few threatening type letters for next month or two, in spite of my ticking all right boxes, but I ignored and they stopped.
Watch one or two past programmes on YouTube, but no live TV at all. Don't miss it a .bit, nor does anyone else in the house

rollingdowntheslide Sat 09-Mar-19 13:16:18

Thanks all, I will notify them and cancel it.

We never watch any live tv anyway. With a toddler and a baby we just want to catch up on sleep in our spare time blush

The only thing we regularly watch is amazon and YouTube.

YetAnotherUser Sat 09-Mar-19 13:24:39

I binned off my licence about 3 years ago when my Freesat box stopped working. Filled out the form to say I no longer needed a licence, never heard from them since.

Plump82 Sat 09-Mar-19 13:54:15

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/3500127-Has-anyone-cancelled-or-considering-cancelling-their-TV-licence. I asked similar a month ago and cancelled it 2 weeks ago when it was up for renewal. Ive had a couple of "warning" emails from them that are swiftly deleted!

UnderMajorDomoMinor Sat 09-Mar-19 13:57:23

You’d need to stop watching catch-up itv and channel 4

BiglyBadgers Sat 09-Mar-19 14:04:04

You can watch channel 4 and itv catch up without a licence I believe. It's only iPlayer catch up and any live TV you can't watch. Amazon prime and Netflix are fine to watch. Here's some more info:
www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/tv-licence/

I haven't had one for getting on 20 years. I've only ever had someone come round once and that was about 10 years ago. He was really very nice to be honest and not at all burly or pushy. Just had a peek in the livingroom to check if we had a massive TV and then left.

2birds1stone Sat 09-Mar-19 14:11:24

Do you children not watch cbeebies during their waking hours like mine

EEELA Sat 09-Mar-19 14:26:45

We had a letter a couple of months after we cancelled and that's been all (about a year ago now).

We don't have a TV in our living room, but do have one in a separate room for YouTube/gaming/Netflix etc, so I can't see what good could come from a house visit. Seems a bit bizarre!

iolaus Sat 09-Mar-19 14:30:23

We cancelled it a year or so back, via email - I think we get an email once a year to ask if it's still the case

We don't watch live TV (or iplayer - because that is covered by the TV license) - we pay for netflix and disney life

TV isn't tuned in, but noone ever came round

All the people I've heard of who had issues have phones so don't have a paper (or email) trail

BrightYellowDaffodil Sat 09-Mar-19 15:04:08

You’d need to stop watching catch-up itv and channel 4

That isn't true. You need a license for ANY live TV (regardless of channel) but ONLY catch up if it's iPlayer.

I didn't renew the TV licence for my old flat (previous tenant moved theirs to their new place and I didn't buy a new one) as I didn't need one. I had a couple of letters so registered that I didn't need one via the website. I renewed my 'I don't need a licence' status every two years and never had any bother from the TV Licensing people.

Pk37 Sat 09-Mar-19 15:05:10

Are you watching it through a plugged in device? If yes you need a licence .
Ds is at uni so we found all this out.
He can watch it on his phone or laptop if neither are plugged in but if you watch it on say a monitor or something then you need a licence

CheshireChat Sat 09-Mar-19 15:14:04

Pk37 nope, that's incorrect. As long as you don't watch live TV or any form of BBC you're ok.

We've never had a licence and never had any issues as we genuinely don't need it

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: