Advanced search

To loathe Comic Relief for its environmental impact

(48 Posts)
JenFromTheGlen Sat 09-Mar-19 12:38:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SayNoToCarrots Sat 09-Mar-19 12:44:14

Yanbu

pearlkent Sat 09-Mar-19 12:48:47

Totally agree with this, it's shameful but typical of today's virtue-signalling. Everyone patting themselves on the back because they've "given up" using plastic straws (wow, big sacrifice) but they carry on using disposable coffee cups with their stupid plastic sippy lids (fine for babies - not with coffee obviously - but not grown adults) and plastic water bottles that have to be carried everywhere in case they die of thirst on the way to work.
I meant to post about the Comic Relief red noses and plastic glasses when I saw a poster the other day, but you've beaten me to it.

chillpizza Sat 09-Mar-19 12:50:07

I hate the whole thing tbh. It’s just more pressure to spend spend spend on crap.

LordProfFekkoThePenguinPhD Sat 09-Mar-19 12:50:16

I’m out from all this now. The fact that you have to troll through lists of charities to see where the money is going (and weigh up if you are comfortable with it) and everyone has to get involved. And all the plastic tat!

flirtygirl Sat 09-Mar-19 12:54:17

I stopped with comic relief at 18 as it's crap selling tat.
I only give to a few charities and they are all ones that don't encourage charity tourism and spending money on stuff.
Just accumulating stuff is bad but the fact it's all plastic tat makes it worse.

Chloemol Sat 09-Mar-19 13:06:23

I loath comic relief full stop. Always have. Who needs a bunch of smug comedians, actors,actresses etc telling us to give money. As far as I am concerned if they are that concerned they can rock up and help charities year round as volunteers as many ordinary, non ‘celebrity’ people do

YouTheCat Sat 09-Mar-19 13:10:39

I've heard some schools are not having the plastic red noses and are painting kids' noses red instead for £1 and sending all of the money raised to Comic Relief.

This sounds like a much better idea.

Notso Sat 09-Mar-19 13:21:34

My kids use old noses from years back, school does face paint noses for £1 but DS2 is very allergic to face paint.

squeefy Sat 09-Mar-19 13:30:15

urggh hated comic relief for years (and the crappy charity telly that goes with it!). I like local real charities.

Barrenfieldoffucks Sat 09-Mar-19 13:32:26

Yup, I avoid the whole bloody lot

Octofraughts Sat 09-Mar-19 13:38:52

Yanbu - totally agree. The noses are always crap anyway and don't stay on.
There shouldn't be a transactional element to charitable giving anyway. That's the point. Give, don't get tat anything in return, and don't make a fuss about it.

StealthPolarBear Sat 09-Mar-19 13:43:26

Really good point. I can't imagine the plastic red noses will last much longer.
Howewvrr haven't most people cut down their plastic use now?

SileneOliveira Sat 09-Mar-19 13:44:12

I'm sure a few years back we bought little enamel lapel red nose badges. Much better.

We don't have noses this year. Have bought t-shirts for the kids. School is doing "wear something red" which doesn't mean expense.

To be fair though it's not just Comic Relief, Children in Need is every bit as bad. Worse, even with all the merchandise Asda sells.

longwayoff Sat 09-Mar-19 13:47:05

Unbearable. Its well out of date, environmentally unfriendly and, from most accounts, not funny. Time to revise all of it.

longwayoff Sat 09-Mar-19 13:48:13

Yes, Children in Need is possibly worse.

StephsCaddy Sat 09-Mar-19 13:56:46

Every single item sold will end up in landfill. It’s shameful.

theWarOnPeace Sat 09-Mar-19 14:01:55

This has got to be the least unreasonable AIBU in the history of.... well just ever. It’s an absolute disgrace and, as pp said above, like children in need in its shameless marketing of shite that’s destined for landfill. Outrageous in this day and age. We know. We know exactly what’s happening to the planet, and to continue this type of thing, fully in that knowledge, is fucking out of order.

Widowodiw Sat 09-Mar-19 14:08:47

Yes, just give money. Don’t know why we have to teach children we only give if we get something in return.

Acopyofacopy Sat 09-Mar-19 14:09:53

YANBU. I am a teacher and will have a word re. minimising environmental impact. Painting noses red or simply wearing something red seems like a good idea.

Shadowboy Sat 09-Mar-19 14:12:06

Totally agree with you!

AgentProvocateur Sat 09-Mar-19 14:13:37

I hate everything about Comic Relief and CIN, particularly the overpaid celebs urging people to donate.

GrubbyHipsterBeard Sat 09-Mar-19 14:15:41

YANBU

Snugglepiggy Sat 09-Mar-19 14:16:54

Totally agree
Regardless how worthy a charity is surely now more than ever it is time stop the merchandising of plastic tat.I will happily give money to smaller local charities. I give to the Poppy appeal but decline the flower.Millions of plastic stalks and centres chucked in the bin.And wrist bands for this and that.

KizzyWayfarer Sat 09-Mar-19 14:17:22

YANBU, anyone who feels strongly about this should contact Comic Relief directly before they finalise plans for next year.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »