Talk

Advanced search

To think somewhere for mental health should be able to handle this

(12 Posts)
User900300 Sat 09-Mar-19 11:42:34

Ds attends a placement for mental health and autism. He recently took an overdose the placement has now said he can’t attend. Am I wrong in thinking if it’s for both they should be able to Accommodate his mental health needs too? They were fully aware of the type of mental health needs he has before his admission.

AnaVanda Sat 09-Mar-19 11:55:00

Yes I agree that sounds wrong and unduly harsh. Is it possible to appeal the decision?

Sirzy Sat 09-Mar-19 11:57:23

It’s hard to say. What Level of support do they offer? If they can’t offer the support and supervison needed to keep him and others safe then it may not be the best placement.

Has he attempted to overdose before or is this a new development?

Prequelle Sat 09-Mar-19 11:59:44

Would need more info about it. Having to deal with suicide attempts, whilst part of mental health and illness, is a different level of supervision.

Tomtontom Sat 09-Mar-19 12:00:50

I expect that they have reassessed his needs and he has not passed the risk assessment. His needs are too high for the service they offer.

You're not unreasonable to expect suitable services to meet your son's needs, but you'll be aware that the system fails many due to chronic underfunding. You are unreasonable to expect a placement to accommodate all mental health needs, the mental health umbrella covers such a myriad of conditions that one service cannot meet them all.

User900300 Sat 09-Mar-19 12:04:41

He has overdosed before hencewise he was put in this placement. They said they could accommodate his needs.

User900300 Sat 09-Mar-19 12:30:58

The support is that all services users have a one to one worker and access to mental health professionals.

Tomtontom Sat 09-Mar-19 12:32:52

What kind of placement is it, is it residential or not?

If you want to challenge the decision you'd need to look at the initial risk assessment and care plan, and compare them to the assessment they have now done. You can point out that nothing has changed (if applicable), or if any of the information is incorrect you can highlight that.

You need to focus your complaint specifically on what this service's admission/ ongoing attendance criteria is.

User900300 Sat 09-Mar-19 12:37:11

Its residential.

User900300 Sat 09-Mar-19 12:37:42

That’s the thing they haven’t done a new assessment.

Houseonahill Sat 09-Mar-19 13:14:56

It sounds like they believe he needs a higher level of help than they can offer? If they believe he needs 24 hour supervision and can't offer that then I do see their point. Someone should be helping you find more suitable help for him though, has anyone said anything about what they do plan to do rather than just withdrawing what's in place?

User900300 Sat 09-Mar-19 14:36:25

This is 24 hour supported

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »