Advanced search

Should I see if I can get a private GP appointment?!?

(33 Posts)
Spaceunicorn6789 Sat 09-Mar-19 09:05:37

I have pain in my arse cheek and a numb leg. Pain varies from a 4 when doing nothing to an 8 when I get up or walk around.

Ive been stupid and didn't register at the doctors when I moved a couple of months ago, submitted my forms on Friday so will have to wait at least until Wednesday before I will be registered and can make an appointment.

I have also just started a new job last week so can't really take any time off for a doctors appointment so it will likely be at least 4 or 4 weeks to get a Friday afternoon appointment.

I can't keep this up for that long, I am in agony.

There is a private hospital near me that might be able to see me today but it is £100 for a consultation which neither me nor DP cna afford this month so will be a credit card job.

I can't make my mind up - what should I do?? I'm being horrible and mean to DP because of the pain and crying intermittently

Idonotlikeyoudonaldtrump Sat 09-Mar-19 16:35:13

There should be an out of hours GP you can go to as a temporary resident.

Sciatica probably needs medication for nerve pain rather than bog standard painkillers

PositivelyPeach Sat 09-Mar-19 16:13:25

Sorry posted too soon.

As long as you aren't having issues going to the toilet I wouldn't bother with the private GP - they could issue you strong painkillers? Maybe?

But you really want a referral to Physio to deal with the cause.

PositivelyPeach Sat 09-Mar-19 16:11:00

Piriformis syndrome is the cause of sciatic pain. It's not something separate, although it does come with its own additional pains. I've suffered with this for 6 years now.

In the long term - acupuncture is amazing, it's the only thing that actually helped me.
In the short term, you need to try and ease the spasm in the Piriformis muscle - which will ease the pressure on the sciatic nerve. Stretches and (my preference) stick on heat patches will help. The stretches hurt, but they are essential.

Paracetamol and the Neurofen with codeine takes the edge off.

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Sat 09-Mar-19 16:07:19

The £100 for the private consultation will just cover seeing the GP. Any investigations, referrals or prescriptions will cost more on top.

Is there any extended access GP service where you live? My area has GP appointments at a central hub that GP practices can book 8-8pm 7 days a week. You could try and get one after work.

Alternatively you may need to take some time off work to be seen sooner.

BlueSlipperSocks Sat 09-Mar-19 16:00:20

I say sciatica too. I had an horrendous bout of sciata last year. I couldn't get in or out of bed. The pain was excruciating! Someone suggested a chiropractic rather than wait for GP apt. One appointment and it was fixed. So much relief! Cost me £40. The best £40 I have ever spent.

Asdfghjklll Sat 09-Mar-19 15:51:15

Call NHS direct/ 24 which ever is the Scottish one. I live in emgland and was visiting family and my child was ill so called and they arranged a out of hours appointment really quickly. I was very impressed. If you are in so much pain it seems worth trying to get seen as soon as possible.
Or look on nhs website - there are walk in centres in Scotland too.

RB68 Sat 09-Mar-19 15:44:55

chiroprator sounds like a plan to me - sounds like sciatica to me too

SospanFrangipan Sat 09-Mar-19 15:38:44

Go to a sports therapist, they will be able to do more for you smile

Fridaysgirl Sat 09-Mar-19 09:46:37

I agree this sounds like Piriformis syndrome.

Simple stretching will help- loads of videos on YouTube. Avoid sitting for prolonged periods of time and regular brufen.

PS are you a runner?

Spaceunicorn6789 Sat 09-Mar-19 09:41:23

I didn't take time off - the osteopath is open late in the evening and weekends? And the Osteopath appointment was £35 and we had just been paid... The private GP appointment is £100?

I was thinking that chances are it will need to be a referral and there will be nothing achieved by not waiting to see a normal GP.

DP has been shipped of to the chemist to find the best painkillers (paracetamol and ibeprofen aren't touching it) and I'll try and ride it out until I can see my normal GP.

I wondered if it was piriformis (sp?) syndrome as opposed to sciatica. No back pain or pins and needles which is common with ciatica I think?

Anywua my bloody arse cheek hurts like buggery and I need somebody to help fix it ASAP.

Chickenvindasaag Sat 09-Mar-19 09:40:44

I think the problem is private services are expensive. What if they recommend an MRI?

Fridaysgirl Sat 09-Mar-19 09:34:56

I'm not sure I understand.

You took time off and paid privately to see an osteopath (and before everyone shouts evidence remains controversial) but you are debating doing the same to see an actual doctor????


Waxlyrically Sat 09-Mar-19 09:29:03

I would have it looked at as sciatica is the result rather than the cause. I’m sure many cases ease with physio/time but my husband is currently recovering from a spinal operation which was needed to relieve pressure on his sciatic nerve. It’s probably very rare, but his symptoms would not have resolved untreated and would in fact have worsened. If you can manage the pain with painkillers it would wait until you are registered with a GP though. He had to manage his symptoms this way for several months waiting for scans etc.

Tomtontom Sat 09-Mar-19 09:27:57

If the GP suspects nerve damage they'll need to make a specialist referral, so you're not going to get any faster treatment going today than in the week. Do you need stronger pain relief? What have you tried so far, and have you spoken to a pharmacist?

MiGi777 Sat 09-Mar-19 09:25:30

Hi, that definitely sounds like sciatica. I had it in my twenties and it's excruciatingly painful at times. I'd try some paracetamol and ibuprofen together and see how that goes. Otherwise you can call the NHS direct and find out how to get an appointment. Best wishes!

FixTheBone Sat 09-Mar-19 09:22:52

If it's not so severe that you're taking time off work, it probably doesn't warrant an emergency GP appointment tbh, as above sounds like sciatica, but does need to be seen at some point to get onto a physio/msk spinal pathway.

Take paracetamol and ibuprofen regularly and keep mobile.

If you get any leg weakness, numbness around the perineum, loss of control of bowels or difficulty passing urine, just go to A&E, immediately.

Spaceunicorn6789 Sat 09-Mar-19 09:21:59

I have been to an osteopath last week who advised me to go to my GP as there was evidence of nerve damage he was worried there was something more serious going on as the pain got exponentially worse during my period. Up until a few days ago the pain only flared up a couple of times a day but its now become constant.

I'll try NHS24 and see what they say or maybe go to the pharmacy and see what they can drug me up with until I cna get soemthing sorted. I haven't been to a doctor or anything for years apart for contracepton prescriptions so I'm a bit lost!!

Herculesupatree Sat 09-Mar-19 09:19:32

At the physio near me you can get an appointment for £45 and they will often fix any problems in 2 sessions as long as you do the excersizes they give you. That’s what I’d do. Hope your feeling better soon!

Tomtontom Sat 09-Mar-19 09:17:47

What pain relief have you tried? Have you looked up some exercises for sciatica?

I'd be trying to see a physio.

newhousestress Sat 09-Mar-19 09:15:27

You can get an OOH GP appointment in Scotland without being registered at a GP. Call111. They can't refer you for an MRI or a physio though without being registered with a GP. But for decent pain relief and assessment call them!

EstrellaDamn Sat 09-Mar-19 09:15:05

Just go the the Chemist and ask for the best painkillers for sciatica. There's little you can do quickly to 'treat' it, it's a case of managing the pain. And self-refer for physio.

Icedlatte Sat 09-Mar-19 09:14:40

I've moved a couple of times and needed to see a gp before my registration is complete. I just phoned the surgery and explained and they set me up with a same day appt (not necessarily at that clinic, but one nearby) it's the same set up for if you were a visitor to the area.

Not sure if it's the same in Scotland, but just phone and ask, there will be solution

rosie1959 Sat 09-Mar-19 09:14:32

With what you are discribing my first port of call would be a good Osteopath rather than a doctor

Cwtches123 Sat 09-Mar-19 09:14:05

In Scotland you need to call NHS 24 for advice.

Iooselipssinkships Sat 09-Mar-19 09:12:46

111 for an out of hours/weekend appointment.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »