Advanced search

Should I see if I can get a private GP appointment?!?

(33 Posts)
Spaceunicorn6789 Sat 09-Mar-19 09:05:37

I have pain in my arse cheek and a numb leg. Pain varies from a 4 when doing nothing to an 8 when I get up or walk around.

Ive been stupid and didn't register at the doctors when I moved a couple of months ago, submitted my forms on Friday so will have to wait at least until Wednesday before I will be registered and can make an appointment.

I have also just started a new job last week so can't really take any time off for a doctors appointment so it will likely be at least 4 or 4 weeks to get a Friday afternoon appointment.

I can't keep this up for that long, I am in agony.

There is a private hospital near me that might be able to see me today but it is £100 for a consultation which neither me nor DP cna afford this month so will be a credit card job.

I can't make my mind up - what should I do?? I'm being horrible and mean to DP because of the pain and crying intermittently

SospanFrangipan Sat 09-Mar-19 15:38:44

Go to a sports therapist, they will be able to do more for you smile

RB68 Sat 09-Mar-19 15:44:55

chiroprator sounds like a plan to me - sounds like sciatica to me too

Asdfghjklll Sat 09-Mar-19 15:51:15

Call NHS direct/ 24 which ever is the Scottish one. I live in emgland and was visiting family and my child was ill so called and they arranged a out of hours appointment really quickly. I was very impressed. If you are in so much pain it seems worth trying to get seen as soon as possible.
Or look on nhs website - there are walk in centres in Scotland too.

BlueSlipperSocks Sat 09-Mar-19 16:00:20

I say sciatica too. I had an horrendous bout of sciata last year. I couldn't get in or out of bed. The pain was excruciating! Someone suggested a chiropractic rather than wait for GP apt. One appointment and it was fixed. So much relief! Cost me £40. The best £40 I have ever spent.

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Sat 09-Mar-19 16:07:19

The £100 for the private consultation will just cover seeing the GP. Any investigations, referrals or prescriptions will cost more on top.

Is there any extended access GP service where you live? My area has GP appointments at a central hub that GP practices can book 8-8pm 7 days a week. You could try and get one after work.

Alternatively you may need to take some time off work to be seen sooner.

PositivelyPeach Sat 09-Mar-19 16:11:00

Piriformis syndrome is the cause of sciatic pain. It's not something separate, although it does come with its own additional pains. I've suffered with this for 6 years now.

In the long term - acupuncture is amazing, it's the only thing that actually helped me.
In the short term, you need to try and ease the spasm in the Piriformis muscle - which will ease the pressure on the sciatic nerve. Stretches and (my preference) stick on heat patches will help. The stretches hurt, but they are essential.

Paracetamol and the Neurofen with codeine takes the edge off.

PositivelyPeach Sat 09-Mar-19 16:13:25

Sorry posted too soon.

As long as you aren't having issues going to the toilet I wouldn't bother with the private GP - they could issue you strong painkillers? Maybe?

But you really want a referral to Physio to deal with the cause.

Idonotlikeyoudonaldtrump Sat 09-Mar-19 16:35:13

There should be an out of hours GP you can go to as a temporary resident.

Sciatica probably needs medication for nerve pain rather than bog standard painkillers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »