Talk

Advanced search

Aibu To think as we get older

(14 Posts)
Lightupthesky Fri 08-Mar-19 23:52:17

Time goes much quicker. Specially the weeks and before we know it the end of the year has arrived.
I'm not wishing time to go quickly just acknowledge what my parents once said. Time goes by so quick so don't wish time away.
I reach 41 in a few weeks which won't bother me but seeing dd turn 19 soon really makes me think and to wish to turn back time to her earlier years.

Linzbe Sat 09-Mar-19 00:03:11

My parents say this all the time and it's only since I turned 30 (almost 6 years ago) that I knew what they meant.
Time does seem to go so quickly now. Maybe it's because as proper adults (juggling jobs and children) there is just so much going on that we notice just what's happening!

whywhywhy6 Sat 09-Mar-19 00:04:13

I feel it too hmm

SapphireBattersea Sat 09-Mar-19 00:13:40

Yes 😩

clearly it doesn’t actually speed up but it feels like it

TyneTeas Sat 09-Mar-19 00:14:23

Yep.

I think we have some inbuilt sense that tracks time relative to age.

So when you are four, a year is 25% of your life so far. And it feels like forever to next Christmas.

When you are ten, a year is 10%

When you are twenty, it is 5%

And when you are fifty, it is 2% and a year flashes by

DramaAlpaca Sat 09-Mar-19 00:15:02

Yes, I know exactly what you mean.

Mummyshark2019 Sat 09-Mar-19 00:20:23

But on the plus side you are really young still and will enjoy a new stage of life with your daughter. I am your age and have a small child. I don't think I would have the energy to be a grandma lol.

But yes, time does fly so we all need to make sure we enjoy every moment and take some time out of our busy schedules to appreciate how truly beautiful life is.

abitoflight Sat 09-Mar-19 00:22:41

There was a programme on radio 4 about this a couple of years ago
Basically it's related to the new experiences you have. As you get older, there are fewer so time goes more quickly.
If I go away for weekend somewhere different, even though it's only 48 hours it feels like I've had a week away. The last 3 weekends I've been busy going to places/different types of events and it feels like way longer timewise

GonzoFlyingProducts Sat 09-Mar-19 00:26:29

Life is like toilet roll.
The closer to the end you get the quicker it runs out...

TyneTeas Sat 09-Mar-19 10:20:51

I like the toilet roll analogy!

Leafyhouse Sat 09-Mar-19 10:22:24

There's a saying with parenting that 'The days are long, but the years are short'. I think that's very true.

SapphireBattersea Sun 10-Mar-19 08:23:39

So true leafy

ThereWillBeAdequateFood Sun 10-Mar-19 08:27:00

abitoflight

I listened to the same radio 4 programme. Really interesting

Limensoda Sun 10-Mar-19 08:39:19

I'm in my 60s. From age 20 to 40 seemed such a long time, but after I turned 40 it was like I woke up a few weeks later and I was 50, then suddenly 60.
I think once you have children, time sees to pass so
My eldest grandson is 21 and I can remember every minute of the day he was born.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »