Talk

Advanced search

I know I'm not being unreasonable to say utter *BS* - of course the government are not putting more money than ever into education

(12 Posts)
KendraKarr Fri 08-Mar-19 22:28:07

Locally school closures, bigger classes, redundant staff.

Massive amount of schools with deficit budgets.

So hacked off at the government who keep saying more money is going into education than ever.

WhenIsTheEasyBit Fri 08-Mar-19 22:38:01

Me too. It's only a netter of time before I smash my trusty kitchen radio into tiny little pieces as I rage against the disingenuous spin stirring wreckers.

BlackeyedGruesome Fri 08-Mar-19 22:39:40

more money is going into education, though I think, from More or Less on Radio four, the money going into education included university tuition fees paid by students/parents/loan.

statistics can be manipulated.
there is total spend on education
total money given to schools
amount per pupil
all could be different and tell a different story. each party will poick the statistic that best suits their viewpoint.

eg amount per pupil could be going down whereas total amount on schools is increasing as there are lots more pupils.

Jackshouse Fri 08-Mar-19 22:43:46

There is already a thread on this. The answer is yes of course they are spending more but due to inflation the money does not go as far and there are more children in education now.

What you need to look at is the amount of funding per child in real terms.

Takethebuscuitandthesink Fri 08-Mar-19 22:43:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NotMeNoNo Fri 08-Mar-19 22:46:31

I’m sure I heard on the radio they count student loans in the education figures. Those have ballooned recently.

NotMeNoNo Fri 08-Mar-19 22:47:21

As Blackeyed said in fact.

KendraKarr Fri 08-Mar-19 23:24:13

But actually manipulated figures or not, I know for a fact that there isn't enough money going into schools.

Amongst a whole host of other issues, financially we have schools that will not survive. A quality education cannot be provided with the funds that do come to schools.

For small schools it is even more tricky. A two class school in a rural location may only have 20 pupils per class, but still needs two teachers, support staff and a building. Head teachers are already shared but that doesn't plug enough financially.

LA's have nothing left, no surplus to shore up schools (unless an academy, DfE /RSC decision making to put in large non disclosed sums). There really is a mess out there, a really bleak picture.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/232220

yellowsun Fri 08-Mar-19 23:31:50

We are facing around an 8% reduction in what we get per pupil, plus the impact of pay rises, living wage rises, rising bills, teachers going up the pay scales and the cost of everything going up. So we are getting a reduction in what is coming to us AND having to spend a considerable amount more than last year. We are fucked, quite frankly.

yellowsun Fri 08-Mar-19 23:32:27

Oh, and a really, really significant drop in high needs funding for SEN.

onthenaughtystepagain Sat 09-Mar-19 14:21:23

Were schools able to concentrate on their core purpose, teaching, there would be plenty of money. The reality is that too many people expect the school to act as policeman, social worker, mental health worker, marriage guidance counsellor, the list goes on and on. On this site for example schools are expected to waste time on spats caused by children being given access to social media by parents who then wonder why it all goes wrong.
Free schools of the extraneous rubbish and the money will be enough, when I was teaching anything beyond my subject wasn't my concern, I didn't breed them!

Pluginwall Sat 09-Mar-19 14:26:16

According to the Institute for Fiscal Studies, total school spending per pupil in England has fallen by about 8% in real terms between 2009-10 and 2017-18.

The NEU compared the schools block funding allocations for 2017-18 and 2018-19 and found that a quarter of primary schools (25%) and one in six secondary schools (17%) either received no cash increase or suffered an actual cut to their funding

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: