Talk

Advanced search

To ask for ideas for a 1 year olds birthday!

(36 Posts)
Ihavealwaysknown Fri 08-Mar-19 21:20:33

Dd is shortly turning 1!

We have ordered her a teepee, but have a lot of family asking what to get her for her birthday. We got around her christening by asking for books, and she has a wardrobe full of clothes as she is a slow grower! So, I need help! Any suggestions on things we could direct people to for her birthday?

😊

wendz86 Fri 08-Mar-19 21:24:40

Ball pool, tea set, sandpit, water table,

VelvetPineapple Fri 08-Mar-19 21:24:50

My LO has a ball pit! You could also ask for toys that she’ll grow into like building blocks or puzzles or animal figures.

Worsethingshappen Fri 08-Mar-19 21:24:59

Sounds like she doesn’t need anything? You could always tell people they don’t need to bring a present?

Ihavealwaysknown Fri 08-Mar-19 21:26:04

I should have said, we have tried the no present angle but that isn’t going down... she’s first grandchild 🙄

NuffSaidSam Fri 08-Mar-19 21:29:06

You could ask for classic toys that she'll grow into like blocks, Duplo, brio train set, but then you have the problem of storing it all and then...what do you ask for next year?

If they're close friends/family and wouldn't be offended, I'd open a savings account for her and tell them to make a little donation if they want to.

Otherwise maybe a terms worth of activity classes or an annual pass to a local attraction?

Divgirl2 Fri 08-Mar-19 21:29:07

Set up a savings account in her name and ask for money instead of gifts? No point in filling your house with crap you don't need just because other people feel the need to buy stuff.

Worsethingshappen Fri 08-Mar-19 21:31:15

Ok then. Wooden building blocks. Schleich Animal figures last for ever. Duplo Lego, won’t build it much but yet but still fun. Vehicles. Wooden Ball run. Tea set/cooker. Shakers. You drum. Look up Montessori toys for 1 year olds - good ideas. Also myriad online has lovely things.

Worsethingshappen Fri 08-Mar-19 21:32:04

“Toy drum” not “you drum”

SaigonSaigon Fri 08-Mar-19 21:33:32

Baby rocking horse, first doll or push along pram, abacus, xylophone, musical instruments, Jack in a box. Or set her up a bank account, I think thats a good idea. We did. But I do appreciate people will want to give a toy.

moreismore Fri 08-Mar-19 21:33:45

Stacking cups!
Chalkboard and chalk (if you have space a big A frame one is great)

moreismore Fri 08-Mar-19 21:34:16

Oh and wooden fruit which Velcro’s together-surprisingly expensive! But much played with even at age 3.

SaigonSaigon Fri 08-Mar-19 21:35:16

Yes - Velcro fruit. Brilliant idea. Lots of use for quite a while too. I think our brand is Big Jigs?

TurtleyAwesome Fri 08-Mar-19 23:00:05

@worsethingshappen
But I don’t want to drum. You drum! 🥁

aibutohavethisusername Fri 08-Mar-19 23:02:56

Wooden train track. My DD was 11 and sad when she realised it had been donated to younger family members.

Happygilmore2 Fri 08-Mar-19 23:10:47

I would ask for clothes or vouchers for clothes as I have 6 children and the amount of toys they get is shocking 😂. Depends also on the amount of clothes or toys you already have.
Or just vouchers towards a new cot or bed maybe helpful

randomchap Fri 08-Mar-19 23:17:46

Tell the grandparents that DD would love to stay over at theirs for night as a birthday treat. Then sleep solidly for 12 hours when she's there.

Wooden building blocks were my DC's favourite at that age. You can't have too many.

Normandy144 Fri 08-Mar-19 23:51:36

Open her an ISA and pay her money in there and if any one would like to donate then great.

TheWomanin12B Sat 09-Mar-19 00:04:42

Grimms
My 1 yr old really liked the play kitchen at that age, even though they were technically too young, they loved opening the doors and drawers. We had so much use out of it.

You could ask them to buy a set of Doll's House furniture / figures etc. Each and build up a collection for when she's older?

TheWomanin12B Sat 09-Mar-19 00:06:36

Bedding

Pyjamas / night gown / dressing gown

Rug for the floor.

Night light.

Other room decoration.

Are all things I've requested if the onslaught of toys got too much and people were desperate to buy.

TheWomanin12B Sat 09-Mar-19 00:08:13

^ sorry, Grimms and play kitchen are separate things in the post above.

I meant Grimms wooden toys e.g. The rainbow.

We got our play kitchen from gltc and it's lasted 13 yrs.

OccasionallyIncomplet Sat 09-Mar-19 00:25:31

Premium Bonds

user1471426142 Sat 09-Mar-19 00:28:11

At 1, my little one’s favourite presents were a doll, mini kitchen and a little tykes car. If you’ve got a garden then outdoor toys like a small slide or see saw would be good as you’ll get a lot of use over the summer.

strawbmilk Sat 09-Mar-19 06:29:16

What about a trip to the zoo, aquarium, city farm or soft play and they come with you....

Vodkafairy75 Sat 09-Mar-19 06:43:46

Do you have a garden? It was my son’s first birthday a couple of weeks ago and I asked for money to buy outdoor toys (house is already full of toys!) so bought him a slide, swing and a sand & water table.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: